Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volTaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
Trying to install OSX 10.5.2(Leopard) from original install discs onto a separate partition. However, no luck as it just reboots to main partition. I'm not sure if there's any other way to get the install disc to run. Anyone know how I can get around this large gap in OS versions?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Trying to install OSX 10.5.2(Leopard) from original install discs onto a separate partition. However, no luck as it just reboots to main partition. I'm not sure if there's any other way to get the install disc to run. Anyone know how I can get around this large gap in OS versions?
What computer do you have?

volTaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
Ahh, the digital age. Where makers can control when their products become obsolete. Thanks again.

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
Ahh, the digital age. Where makers can control when their products become obsolete. Thanks again.

Look at it this way. Its like restoring iOS 5 on an iPhone XS. No way that will be happening as the iOS 5 software is not compatible with the new advanced hardware inside the device, it wouldnt even know how to use the CPU, Face ID hardware and other new tech etc. Its the exact same when you are trying to install an OS which predates the hardware and tech of your newer iMac. No gonna happen.

Another analogy excluding the "digital age": Its like trying to install the engine of a Ford Model T inside of a Ford mustang GT......not gonna happen.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Seems to me that you can install a "virtual machine" (such as Parallels, VMWare Fusion, or Virtual Box), and then run older versions of the OS that way... ("within" the virtual machine)

But you can't BOOT FROM a version of the OS that predates the Mac you're using.

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Seems to me that you can install a "virtual machine" (such as Parallels, VMWare Fusion, or Virtual Box), and then run older versions of the OS that way... ("within" the virtual machine)

But you can't BOOT FROM a version of the OS that predates the Mac you're using.

Yeah, you can install 10.5 or 10.6 in a VM, although only the server version will work in a VM without modification.

volTaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
Hey, if that's possible that would rock hard since I have a couple thousand invested in (old)software that works perfectly fine for my needs. Thanks for the info on VM's, BTW.
[doublepost=1539575181][/doublepost]Quick question. Parallels, VMWare Fusion, and Virtual Box seem to be tailored for Windows. Anyone know if I can anticipate running into issues?

Last edited:

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Hey, if that's possible that would rock hard since I have a couple thousand invested in (old)software that works perfectly fine for my needs. Thanks for the info on VM's, BTW.
[doublepost=1539575181][/doublepost]Quick question. Parallels, VMWare Fusion, and Virtual Box seem to be tailored for Windows. Anyone know if I can anticipate running into issues?

They're not actually. I've got both parallels 13 and VMware 8.5 on my Mac Pro. Both support OS X and Linux guests. Parallels 13 is almost twice as fast as VMware is, but I'm using the new parallels vs the old VMware, I can't run VMware 10 on my CPU.
Virtualbox is a dog compared to both; but still a great option considering its free. It also supports OS X guests.
You won't get graphics acceleration with either one with an OS X guest. But it's still usable for basic things.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

The "virtual machine" approach IS "your solution" if you really want to do this.
I would suggest "Snow Leopard Server" (10.6.8) as the software to use.
You can still buy this from Apple on a DVD, I believe.

Don't worry about the "server" part.
You can just turn off the server apps and once that's done it runs the same as "regular" Snow Leopard.

BTW, I believe you MUST use Snow Leopard Server when running a VM, because the "regular" version WON'T work.

volTaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
Thanks, Project Alice. I figured there would be concessions. Better than nothing, though.

Thanks, for the tip Fishrrman. I'll look into the DVD too. Small price to pay to get my setup back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.