Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firststrike101

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Manitoba, Canada
When I went to install classic it only asks for a clean install. Will this erase the OS currently on my Mac? I only want to install it to run some apps that require classic. Any thoughts on this.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
So long as you don't reformat your hard drive, you should be fine. A clean install simply abandons your old installation of MacOS 9, but the files remain on your disk.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
firststrike101 said:
When I went to install classic it only asks for a clean install. Will this erase the OS currently on my Mac? I only want to install it to run some apps that require classic. Any thoughts on this.
Be more specific.

In order to install classic support you need to install it via the cd's that came with your computer.

It looks like you tried to install the OS 9 using the OS 9 install cd's. This won't work. You need to find classic support files from the cd's that came with your computer.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Soulstorm said:
Be more specific.

In order to install classic support you need to install it via the cd's that came with your computer.

The latter is true only if the computer cannot boot MacOS 9. However, you are correct that firststrike101 should be more specific. We don't know if his computer can boot into MacOS 9 or not.

firststrike101

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Manitoba, Canada
Sorry, Im running a eMac 700mhz model and have the original CDs that came with the computer, ie: OS 9.2.2. I recently replaced the HD in it and only installed OSX 10.4.3. I thought I would no longer need classic support. I guess I was wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.