Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moksh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2023
Any ideas on how to install Mac OSX without a working display? I'm also willing to install another OS.

I am on a Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2012) that previously had no hard drives or RAM installed. It did have a a NVIDIA QUADRO K4200, so I got some empty hard drives and some working mac compatible RAM. Then I created a bootable hard drive of Mac OSX Lion using another MacBook Pro, put it in, and powered on. The Mac gives startup chime, keyboard lights up, and the caps lock key is responding. My problem is this is not a Mac compatible GPU, it is spinning but I certainly will not be getting any boot screens on my display. That's fine, but I do believe it will give regular Mac desktop view as this was a previously working Mac. I also tested the GPU in a windows computer and it is working perfectly.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Lion is too old to have a Kepler Driver, so you got no video output.
Something to think about but I think the installer should run as this relies on the GPU's Graphics Handler (GOP/UGA). Something to bear in mind though and might be better to move up to MountainLion/Newer.

Regardless though, the key issue is that unlike most AMD units, GOP on "Not-Mac-Edition" Nvidia GPUs does not typically load on cMP without intervention...
  • Hacking the cMP firmware
  • Hacking the GPU vBIOS
  • Using OpenCore
  • Using RefindPlus
Any ideas on how to install Mac OSX without a working display running a QUADRO K4200?
You can try this to activate the GPU's GOP via RefindPlus:
  1. Connect your disk from the MP51 to your other Mac and download MyBootMgr from HERE.
  2. Mount and run the MyBootMgrSetup App which will create a /Users/Shared/MyBootMgr folder populated with some apps.
  3. Run the ConfigFactory App in "SOLO" mode to create a RefindPlus-Only setup.
  4. Run the DeployConfig App to deploy the setup to the ESP of the MP51 disk.
  5. Put the disk back in the MP51 (Use SATA Bay 1).
  6. Start the MP51, reset the NVRAM and RefindPlus should be loaded.
    • RefindPlus will activate the GOP on a "Not-Mac-Edition" Nvidia GPU by default.
  7. Run the Mac OS installer from RefindPlus.
    • Move up to MountainLion if that for Lion fails but I think it will work.
      • Note that due to the absence of drivers, the GPU will not be accelerated in Lion post installation.
      • This may, or may not, be important depending on planned usage.
      • Probably best to just go for a supported version.
    • Reset the NVRAM to get RefindPlus back if the installer triggers a reboot and you end up with a blank screen.
      • That is, the installer may take over the start up process to be booted directly, a temporary boot coup, but the "Not-Mac-Edition" Nvidia GPU may stall again in such cases.
You can probably ditch RefindPlus at this point (at least for MountainLion/others) or repeat the process with MyBootMgr (See link in my signature) on the MP51 using "DUAL" mode if you want to install/run unsupported Mac OS using OpenCore but you probably want to check the firmware first. @Macschrauber has a tool that helps with this linked in his signature.

The firmware may need to be updated and this can be done by installing HiSierra with a suitable GPU connected but the cleanest way is to have the firmware reconstructed. If wanted, the firmware can also have misc hacks for graphics added during reconstruction. I believe either one of Macschrauber and @tsialex can do the reconstruction for you.

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Hacking is a bad word
No, it is not. It simply means unauthorised/unsanctioned/irregular access and/or changes and is neutral of itself. Ignoring legality, what makes hacking bad or not is the intent; which can either be malicious, benevolent, or, sometimes, benign.

A quick search of the forum shows that the overwhelming use of the word refers to benevolence:

Hacks can be a "godsend" in the last example and the one before that has someone hoping to see a hack soon.

Intent can be inferred from the context:
While both hacked a Mac, "They hacked his Mac to steal his Crypto" was malicious while "They hacked his Mac to fix his problem" was benevolent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Hacking is a bad word, and a "Hacker" is the bad guy with sunglasses and hoodie in German terminology. A guy what does criminal things on computers.

• Love
Reactions: TzunamiOSX

ediflorianus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
This is the weerdest thing , I am working on a K4200 ,myself , I got it from flea market , installed it on a pc but works only without drivers , give's me "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" at first toght I was thinking may have a mac firmware ,but then PNY card is not mac... so now I pulled it appart clean , hot iron the chips , new paste and will put it back togheter , hope it works at least with no driver VGA standard mode , if all I do won't fixt it next is a reflash (w/bios/firmware from techp.up).

The idea is you can reflash the card if you are having trubble ,most people fix it this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.