Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
I've been told many times that installing snow leopard on a 2011 macbook air is impossible, by apple people on other forums, etc... Today im going to try and prove everyone else wrong and install Snow Leopard on my 2011 macbook air,Why you may ask first off my MBA overheats constantly (i've redone thermal paste cut holes for better air flow, reset the smc, pram and everything but it still over heats in chrome with like 5 tabs. Now My hope with Snow Leopard is that without spotlight it will put less stress on the system, and also that not having launchpad will help as well. As you may or may not know PPC applications are very very easy to run compared to normal mac applications. So hopefully this will all add to a macbook air that doesn't overheat.
So now to the technical part of this, how in the world do i plan to do it, well after doing some research i found that its possible to do it using target mode and copying the os from another mac that has it installed, after finding this i immediately though great time to use my fire wire cable again for the 2nd time then i remembered that there is no firewire port on the MBA, well what about an adapter ($50) :0 too much for me so i stated thinking and here is how i am planing to do it.
the issues is that there is no drivers for the MBA 2011 on snow leopard because snow leopard is older than the MBA 2011, so how do we install it using a hackintosh version on snow leopard !!!!! So i downloaded a Hackintosh Snow Leopard iso and now to make a bootable usb and edit this as i go :)

Reactions: Erdbeertorte

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Spotlight has existed since Panther. Snow Leopard consumes the same amount of resources that El Capitain will. What you're doing makes absolutely no sense. Good luck. You'll need it if you screw up your EFI doing a bunch of crap to prove internet strangers wrong.

Also, the only reason for the computer to "overheat" would be that its disgusting inside. So disgusting that the CPU can't dissipate heat. If your computer isn't shutting itself down, it's not overheating. And if it is, I blame you.

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
I'm interested in if you can pull this off. I'd like to run Mavericks on a newer machine and so far have had no luck.

Overheating is when the device gets very hot and risks shutting down. Most macs will feel quite warm with Chrome

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
Spotlight has existed since Panther. Snow Leopard consumes the same amount of resources that El Capitain will. What you're doing makes absolutely no sense. Good luck. You'll need it if you screw up your EFI doing a bunch of crap to prove internet strangers wrong.

Also, the only reason for the computer to "overheat" would be that its disgusting inside. So disgusting that the CPU can't dissipate heat. If your computer isn't shutting itself down, it's not overheating. And if it is, I blame you.

Blame me ! sure blame me for trying to make use of a FREE mac book air (it was free because the origional owner couldnt find out why it was over heating.........
[doublepost=1463486499][/doublepost]
I'm interested in if you can pull this off. I'd like to run Mavericks on a newer machine and so far have had no luck.

Overheating is when the device gets very hot and risks shutting down. Most macs will feel quite warm with Chrome
i get "shutdown cause -128 , or 5, or 3 ( i think 3 not sure since my console just cleared syslog :(

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Is this always the case? Are the fans roaring all the time or just with certain apps. You may have a hardware issue going on.
Try reinstalling OS X El Capitan with some refresh Kexts and see if that helps. If not, you have a deeper issue. Non of the features you mentioned would really be a resource hog except maybe Chrome.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I have a Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro what had been released with Lion 10.7.2. Installing Snow Leopard 10.6.3 from a DVD for all Macs did not work.

So I tried another way. I just put my SSD into a Mid-2010 white MacBook installed 10.6.3 updated to 10.6.8 and put the SSD back in the MBP.

Runs perfect without any problems, even with my 16 GB 2133 MHz DDR-3 RAM upgrade. :) With an SSD 4 GB of slower RAM would even be enough for me on Snow Leopard.

But I got back to El Capitan after a while because Safari is unusable on many websites, much too slow and very very outdated in Snow Leopard and I did not like other browsers. Also there is no way to sync with iTunes and iOS 9.x. Some other features I missed too.

But in the meantime Opera got my favourite and default browser and I like Firefox too. At least for the last one I know there is an Extended Support Release of version 45. Both Opera and Firefox are able to sync with the same browsers on my iPhone.

And to put my music on the phone and backing it up there are many other ways.

Also I don't need iMessage if I find a working version of any messenger (best case would be Telegram).

With getting rid of iCloud and iMessage I have already begun.

For everything that does not exist yet in Snow Leopard to stay in sync with the latest iOS there are other ways than iCloud.

I could use a second partition or small external drive with the latest OS X if I ever might need it in any Emergency Case that relies on a working iTunes.

Also I read that my 4s is able to get back to iOS 6, what would be enough for me. I really need not much more than a way to make phone calls, SMS, any messenger that best also works on Snow Leopard (but could be a different one if not possible), any notes app, browser, email client, maps app and of course a way to play my music.

Then I could sell my totally over-dimensioned 6s Plus, the more over-dimensioned iMac and maybe even that 17-inch MBP from 2011 and just use the white MacBook from 2010 or an old Air with a large monitor in addition.

What I missed most, was a recent version of 1Password, but I could get rid of so many accounts and go back to easier passwords, that I am able just to remember myself. Also I heard Dropbox does not work anymore, but I have an alternative and don't need much space.

So, back the past soon... :)

Or I'll just switch to Linux.

But never ever back to Windows. Even if Windows 8 and 10 are running really fast on older computers. I just hate it. 7 should also be fast enough but that one I hate much more because it reminds my too much of the old crappy versions. My last Windows had been 8.0 and it was a lot faster.

My real switch to Mac is not that long ago. Must have been the 2013 MBA. I had an iMac and an Power Mac G4 before but sold them after a short time. Must have been too early for me to get used to it. I can't even remember the Mac OS X version of the iMac. I think it was sometime between 2007 and 2010. It looked already like the ones today, just thicker.
The Power Mac came with Mac OS 9 and OS X and was one of those halfway translucent plastic towers. Must have been 2001 or 2002.

But the main reason for selling the Power Mac, was that I did not like the ICQ client. :D And the 27" iMac was just too bright and large for me and because of something I can't remember I installed Windows as a single OS on it, what was not really the purpose of having an iMac that days. ;)

The older MacBooks from 2010 and 2011 I bought used last year.

Last edited:

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
I have a Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro what had been released with Lion 10.7.2. Installing Snow Leopard 10.6.3 from a DVD for all Macs did not work.

So I tried another way. I just put my SSD into a Mid-2010 white MacBook installed 10.6.3 updated to 10.6.8 and put the SSD back in the MBP.

Runs perfect without any problems, even with my 16 GB 2133 MHz DDR-3 RAM upgrade. :) With an SSD 4 GB of slower RAM would even be enough for me on Snow Leopard.

But I got back to El Capitan after a while because Safari is unusable on many websites, much too slow and very very outdated in Snow Leopard and I did not like other browsers. Also there is no way to sync with iTunes and iOS 9.x. Some other features I missed too.

But in the meantime Opera got my favourite and default browser and I like Firefox too. At least for the last one I know there is an Extended Support Release of version 45. Both Opera and Firefox are able to sync with the same browsers on my iPhone.

Also I don't need iMessage if I find a working version of any messenger (best case would be Telegram).

For everything that does not exist yet in Snow Leopard to stay in sync with the latest iOS there are other ways than iCloud.

I could use a second partition or small external drive with the latest OS X if I ever might need it in any Emergency Case that relies on a working iTunes.

Also I read that my 4s is able to get back to iOS 6, what would be enough for me. I really need not much more than a way to make phone calls, SMS, any messenger that best also works on Snow Leopard (but could be a different one if not possible), any notes app, browser, email client, maps app and of course a way to play my music.

Then I could sell my totally over-dimensioned 6s Plus, the more over-dimensioned iMac and maybe even that 17-inch MBP from 2011 and just use the white MacBook from 2010 or an old Air with a large monitor in addition.

What I missed most, was a recent version of 1Password, but I could get rid of so many accounts and go back to easier passwords, that I am able just to remember myself. Also I heard Dropbox does not work anymore, but I have an alternative and don't need much space.

But never ever back to Windows. Even if Windows 8 and 10 are running really fast on older computers. I just hate it. 7 should also be fast enough but that one I hate much more because it reminds my too much of the old crappy versions. My last Windows had been 8.0 and it was a lot faster.

My real switch to Mac is not that long ago. Must have been the 2013 MBA. I had an iMac and an Power Mac G4 before but sold them after a short time. Must have been too early for me to get used to it. I can't even remember the Mac OS X version of the iMac. I think it was sometime between 2007 and 2010. It looked already like the ones today, just thicker.
The Power Mac came with Mac OS 9 and OS X and was one of those halfway translucent plastic towers. Must have been 2001 or 2002.

But the main reason for selling the Power Mac, was that I did not like the ICQ client. :D And the 27" iMac was just too bright and large for me and because of something I can't remember I installed Windows as a single OS on it, what was not really the purpose of having an iMac that days. ;)

Thanks for the tip :)
Only problem is i dont have another device that uses the MBA mid 2011 SSD :/ and dont feel like buying an adapter ....
[doublepost=1463499409][/doublepost]Update here are some helpful links i found so far
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...estore-dvd-gray-disc-to-work-on-any-computer/https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/snow-leopard-on-mba-2011-fully-working.1352079/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/snow-leopard-on-mba-2011-fully-working.1352079/ (I Believe this is for the 13' i have the 11' so didnt completely work yet, i just am using the idea of adding kexts)
[doublepost=1463499466][/doublepost]here is the kext for the intel hd 4000 gpu
[doublepost=1463499499][/doublepost]UPDATE:
Got to the loading wheel while it freezes after a while its a start :)

Attachments

• driver for intel HD.zip
    793.7 KB · Views: 704

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Snow Leopard consumes the same amount of resources that El Capitain will.

I am curious how that is possible?

Snow Leopard has officially much lighter requirements compared to El Capitan. Namely slower processor and it needs half the amount of RAM 1 vs. 2 Gb.

I am not saying that what OP is doing is practical or advisable but the argument that Snow Leopard would be faster is plausible given the requirements and smaller amount of background processes compared to El Capitan.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It seems like an awful lot of work, but I am anxiously watching to see how this turns out.

DKJhx9l.gif

Reactions: Mason Dulemba

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
Trying to install it manualy through packages (in system/instal.../packages/) to another partition and then try booting up :) fingers crossed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 12.00.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 12.00.53 PM.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 435

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
Update:
Installing SL in vbox on a physical drive, plan to then boot from that physical drive after adding some kexts...
wish me luck :)
[doublepost=1463509093][/doublepost]
Is this always the case? Are the fans roaring all the time or just with certain apps. You may have a hardware issue going on.
Try reinstalling OS X El Capitan with some refresh Kexts and see if that helps. If not, you have a deeper issue. Non of the features you mentioned would really be a resource hog except maybe Chrome.
No i have tried everything software related its deffinately the logic board :/ but its still some what kickin :) so why throw it away :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states

Question were u using the origional disk that came with the white macbook (AKA the Grey Disks)?

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Question were u using the origional disk that came with the white macbook (AKA the Grey Disks)?

Im am not 100% sure but I think I had to use the grey ones (at least I have them) because it was released with 10.6.3 and it might be a newer build than on the white DVD that Apple still sells.

But it could also be that I tried it with a 10.6.0 white disk because I have several of them and only one with 10.6.3. At least it got stuck somewhere already while booting or in the installation. Only my 2009 MBP was able to boot from all white disks.

I don't know what the Late 2011 needs to run. I could only try the white disks that are not available with a newer version than 10.6.3 and then updated directly to 10.6.8 before I put the SDD back in it.

There are grey disks with 10.6.6 out there and sometimes on eBay, but those are always bound to the same hardware I heard. Early 2011 MBPs and Mid-2011 iMacs were shipped with grey disks of 10.6.6. I don't think you are able to install Snow Leopard from one of those on your MBA.

The next time I'll install Snow Leopard I could try it with the white disk at first. And after installing every update I put a disk image of course as backup only for me in my Dropbox. :cool:

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I just installed it from the white DVD 10.6.3 (10D575) without any problem on my Mid-2010 MacBook what came with 10.6.3 (10D2162), looks like it even came with an older build number. Don't know what exactly is on my grey disks. I just see it's 10.6.3 Disk version 1.0 2Z681-6653A for the OS and 2Z681-6654A for the Applications (c) 2010. Must be the build mentioned above, when it is states 1.0.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-13-polycarbonate-unibody-mid-2010-specs.html

No I am installing the updates and after that I'll pull the SSD out an connect it via Thunderbolt to that one:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...5-17-late-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

Here is a picture when I started installing the updates. I always forget the video intro of Snow Leopard. It's is really great. I love it. :)

IMG_1180.jpg

Edit: Now the updates are finished and it's on 10.6.8 but after the first relaunch there are eight more updates to install. Mostly security and another new iTunes version.
[doublepost=1463556484][/doublepost]Im am posting now from:

Screen shot 2016-05-18 at 9.21.27 AM.png
Screen shot 2016-05-18 at 9.24.17 AM.png

After installing the last update, what did not show up on the older MacBook:
Screen shot 2016-05-18 at 9.21.11 AM.png
:

That were the last updates I installed on the other one:

Screen shot 2016-05-18 at 9.13.04 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-05-18 at 9.10.58 AM.png

Edit: It's booting and running really fast from a Samsung EVO 850 connected to a Thunderbolt port.

Now I am installing Firefox 45 ESR, remove the password if possible, clean Safari and all other cashes and clone the clean install to an image file when I am back in El Capitan.
[doublepost=1463558507][/doublepost]The latest version you can run on Snow Leopard is version 48, what is the latest Developer Edition and an alpha version:

Screen shot 2016-05-18 at 9.46.30 AM.png

49.0a1 (Nightly) is not able to start anymore. The current version is 46.0.1, the beta 47.0, but I think the best is using that one because you get at least security updates until... (I don't no), but longer than updates for the normal Firefox:

Screen shot 2016-05-18 at 9.54.15 AM.png

Last edited:

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Finally I tested if the latest Thunderbird Nightly version is still running and yes it does. :)

Screen shot 2016-05-18 at 10.11.18 AM.png

Edit: Sorry no it does not. :( There is also a 49 version called Daily. Never heard of that before. It does not run anymore. But there is a 45 ESR too.

It's not really a different version. It has just been merged into the normal release. I got redirected to the following one after I saw the 45 ESR from the ftp server had been an Earlybird:

Screen shot 2016-05-18 at 10.23.58 AM.png

And another Edit:

Next I'll test if my USB 3.0 Expresscard/34 is working if I find it. ;) It worked in El Capitan without any driver.

And the next one:

USB 3.0 seems not to be possible with Snow Leopard at least not with my card from nanoTECH, the package says it requires at least 10.8.5 and the Matrox DS 1 Thunderbolt Hub what I have requires at least 10.8.2 (http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/ds1/system/) but I did not try that one yet, just the card:

Screen shot 2016-05-18 at 10.47.47 AM.png

Edit again:

I really love Snow Leopard. :) And don't need USB 3.0 if I have Thunderbolt. That's why the card wasn't even in the MBP and the Hub had not been used for a long time.

The only thing I miss is 1Password because some of my passwords are really long and some one-time passwords are stored in there too. I had to go back from 6.3 to 3.8.22 and convert the vault to the old format before. Then I'd rather store the passwords directly in my Firefox account and can sync with my phone and with Linux where is no 1Password.

Or does anyone maybe know something similar to at least 1Password 4 with a browser extension? What does not store the passwords on their own servers. I am using Dropbox sync for 1Password 6. Works much faster than iCloud.

Last edited:

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
Finally I tested if the latest Thunderbird Nightly version is still running and yes it does. :)

View attachment 631864

Edit: Sorry no it does not. :( There is also a 49 version called Daily. Never heard of that before. It does not run anymore. But there is a 45 ESR too.

It's not really a different version. It has just been merged into the normal release. I got redirected to the following one after I saw the 45 ESR from the ftp server had been an Earlybird:

View attachment 631865

And another Edit:

Next I'll test if my USB 3.0 Expresscard/34 is working if I find it. ;) It worked in El Capitan without any driver.

And the next one:

USB 3.0 seems not to be possible with Snow Leopard at least not with my card from nanoTECH, the package says it requires at least 10.8.5 and the Matrox DS 1 Thunderbolt Hub what I have requires at least 10.8.2 (http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/ds1/system/) but I did not try that one yet, just the card:

View attachment 631866

Edit again:

I really love Snow Leopard. :) And don't need USB 3.0 if I have Thunderbolt. That's why the card wasn't even in the MBP and the Hub had not been used for a long time.

The only thing I miss is 1Password because some of my passwords are really long and some one-time passwords are stored in there too. I had to go back from 6.3 to 3.8.22 and convert the vault to the old format before. Then I'd rather store the passwords directly in my Firefox account and can sync with my phone and with Linux where is no 1Password.

Or does anyone maybe know something similar to at least 1Password 4 with a browser extension? What does not store the passwords on their own servers. I am using Dropbox sync for 1Password 6. Works much faster than iCloud.
Hmm i wonder if SL actualy came on or supported ur MBP origionaly ...... if so it makes sense why it worked when u switched drives....... when i tried it i got a kernal panic ...... :(
[doublepost=1463593990][/doublepost]
Hmm i wonder if SL actualy came on or supported ur MBP origionaly ...... if so it makes sense why it worked when u switched drives....... when i tried it i got a kernal panic ...... :(
Thanks for ur post it was very in

View attachment 631864

View attachment 631865

And another Edit:

And the next one:

View attachment 631866

Edit again:

Thanks for your posts they were very informative and love the pictures :) Makes me wish i still had my old PBG4s (Powerbook G4) I had 3 11' and 2 15' miss them alot :/ And also nice MB i have a mid 2009 with 8gb ram (Yes I know it only says max 4gb But apples wrong lol) white one (photo Below)

(These Photos were taken like 3 or 4 years ago on my iPhone 4 lol)

Attachments

• 11376704_460397807463463_125611031_n.jpg
    11376704_460397807463463_125611031_n.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 445
  • 11333752_1587359298183334_795703862_n.jpg
    11333752_1587359298183334_795703862_n.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 481
  • 928206_765399273471670_1074598715_n.jpg
    928206_765399273471670_1074598715_n.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 439
  • 11378509_1603306579947275_733694242_n.jpg
    11378509_1603306579947275_733694242_n.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 10375482_670770379645168_149482052_n.jpg
    10375482_670770379645168_149482052_n.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015

Sorry if I mixed something up or so. My concentration is not the best at the moment and I can't read everything again.

From what did you install it? Was it an image of a retail DVD or the grey ones?

Is it really a Mid-2011 MacBook Air? And did you install every update and patch? After the first reboot when it was already on 10.6.8 and I started the software update a second time there were again 8 updates and patches and it rebooted a second time.

I just saw somewhere above you (?) wrote about a HD Graphics 4000 kext file. The HD 4000 came with Ivy Bridge in the Mid-2012 Airs. It's the next generation chipset that never had been in any Mac with Snow Leopard before.

The last iMacs with Snow Leopard 10.6.6 already had Sandy Bridge and HD Graphics 3000 like my Late 2011 17" MBP what was released with 10.7.2 and the Mid-2011 MB Airs with 10.7.0.

Both never came with Snow Leopard because they were released when Lion was already finished but I think only the CPU is different to the Mid-2011 iMacs and also my dedicated Radeon HD 6770 GPU works and were in those iMacs. Could also be that it's checking for that combination and don't have dGPUs in addition.

I think I have a 2011 MBA lying around somewhere. Maybe even both sizes. At least one of them should still work.

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
Sorry if I mixed something up or so. My concentration is not the best at the moment and I can't read everything again.

From what did you install it? Was it an image of a retail DVD or the grey ones?

Is it really a Mid-2011 MacBook Air? And did you install every update and patch? After the first reboot when it was already on 10.6.8 and I started the software update a second time there were again 8 updates and patches and it rebooted a second time.

I just saw somewhere above you (?) wrote about a HD Graphics 4000 kext file. The HD 4000 came with Ivy Bridge in the Mid-2012 Airs. It's the next generation chipset that never had been in any Mac with Snow Leopard before.

The last iMacs with Snow Leopard 10.6.6 already had Sandy Bridge and HD Graphics 3000 like my Late 2011 17" MBP what was released with 10.7.2 and the Mid-2011 MB Airs with 10.7.0.

Both never came with Snow Leopard because they were released when Lion was already finished but I think only the CPU is different to the Mid-2011 iMacs and also my dedicated Radeon HD 6770 GPU works and were in those iMacs. Could also be that it's checking for that combination and don't have dGPUs in addition.

I think I have a 2011 MBA lying around somewhere. Maybe even both sizes. At least one of them should still work.
I used the retail one, i think the reason it worked is because snow leopard contained kexts for your macbook because it was originally supported by snow leopard :/

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
New Update: What I am thinking about doing is installing it in a virtural box (Mainly because virtural Box allows you to set a cpu cap so that it wont make my MBA over heat .....

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Concerning installing OS X in a VM, expect performance to be less than impressive. This is Mavericks running on my unsupported 5K iMac using Parallels. Note the "Display 256 MB" under graphics, meaning there is no GPU acceleration, and lag everywhere.
Mavericks 5K iMac.png
Still, if all you want is Rosetta support (and not for GPU-intensive games), it'll do ok.

Spotlight has existed since Panther.
You're off by one version. It was introduced in Tiger.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Concerning installing OS X in a VM, expect performance to be less than impressive. This is Mavericks running on my unsupported 5K iMac using Parallels.

How did you do that? I tried Parallels 9, 10 and 11 and it always tells me it can only install my current OS from the recovery partition and I think a Server version of Snow Leopard. But no other version of OS X is supported. I tried it on a MBP where I can install everything since Lion natively and it also runs Snow Leopard if installed and updated before on an older Mac. But not on my Late 2015 iMac yet that is only able to run El Capitan natively.

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
Concerning installing OS X in a VM, expect performance to be less than impressive. This is Mavericks running on my unsupported 5K iMac using Parallels. Note the "Display 256 MB" under graphics, meaning there is no GPU acceleration, and lag everywhere.
View attachment 632047
Still, if all you want is Rosetta support (and not for GPU-intensive games), it'll do ok.

You're off by one version. It was introduced in Tiger.

Wait wait wait the New 5K iMac only has 256MB Vram ?!?!?! WTF Srsly ?? (Sorry Lol just cant beliveve that my old MBA has more vram than the new imac )

Thank you for the advice actually i almost figured out how to get SL running for real :0
[doublepost=1463685052][/doublepost]
How did you do that? I tried Parallels 9, 10 and 11 and it always tells me it can only install my current OS from the recovery partition and I think a Server version of Snow Leopard. But no other version of OS X is supported. I tried it on a MBP where I can install everything since Lion natively and it also runs Snow Leopard if installed and updated before on an older Mac. But not on my Late 2015 iMac yet that is only able to run El Capitan natively.
Hey I was going to give it one last shot and tried writing the stuff custom my self and well i got past the install and now its just kernal panicing here is the log im getting ......
Any one Plz any help is extreemly appreciated ill upload photos of install in a second ....
[doublepost=1463685451][/doublepost]Here are some photos

Attachments

• Photo on 5-19-16 at 3.03 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 5-19-16 at 3.03 PM #3.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 461
  • Photo on 5-19-16 at 3.11 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-19-16 at 3.11 PM.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 478
  • Photo on 5-19-16 at 3.14 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-19-16 at 3.14 PM.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,057
  • Photo on 5-19-16 at 3.19 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-19-16 at 3.19 PM.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 439
  • Photo on 5-19-16 at 3.20 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-19-16 at 3.20 PM.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Wait wait wait the New 5K iMac only has 256MB Vram ?!?!?! WTF Srsly ?? (Sorry Lol just cant beliveve that my old MBA has more vram than the new imac )

That's a VM they have 2 or 4 GB.
[doublepost=1463685561][/doublepost]
Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 21.18.47.png

Edit: Im a searching now if I have an Air from 2011 and then try it with my external Snow Leopard SSD.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
No, but the VM thinks it has only 256 MB VRAM. Hence the point of my post. :)

It also identifies the RAM as 667 MHz DRAM, when it's definitely quite a bit faster than that (2133 MHz in reality).

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
No, but the VM thinks it has only 256 MB VRAM. Hence the point of my post. :)

It also identifies the RAM as 667 MHz DRAM, when it's definitely quite a bit faster than that (2133 MHz in reality).
Ohhh got it ,
(Sorry ADD sorta kicked in LOL )
[doublepost=1463685801][/doublepost]
That's a VM they have 2 or 4 GB.
[doublepost=1463685561][/doublepost] View attachment 632065
Ok thanks LOL i knew apple would be smarter than that, i was wondering how they even rendered the 5k OS with that little memory :)
[doublepost=1463685864][/doublepost]Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve the Kernal Panics Pictured above ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.