Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigerblue711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Future noob MacBook owner here. I plan on upgrading the RAM as everyone seems to believe that is the best way to increase performance. First is really worth it? And second, how difficult is the process of actually installing it for a beginner? Thanks in advance.

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
Future noob MacBook owner here. I plan on upgrading the RAM as everyone seems to believe that is the best way to increase performance. First is really worth it? And second, how difficult is the process of actually installing it for a beginner? Thanks in advance.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Core-Duo/86
go here it will show you everything

ohh and btw make sure you discharge the static electricity from your body before you touch your ram, you wouldn't want to fry it before you can use it.

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Brand doesn't really matter. I do recommend OWC though, they're cheap and their customer service is good.

Also I would add, the performance gains from adding more RAM is overrated. You won't notice a difference unless you're using apps that eat up a lot of RAM like Adobe CS suite apps, or if you are a serious multitasker. But since RAM is so cheap, you should upgrade it anyways.

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
i had problems removing the screws from the L-bracket covering the RAM slots, but that's because i didnt have a short enough screwdriver, so yeah.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
How would one go about doing that? :eek:

Best way is to wear a grounded wrist strap. Radio shack use to sell them, IM not sure now, but I'd be very surprised if they don't. Their cheap and one should always have one on hand when working with circuit cards, RAM etc...

Another alternative is to touch something near by that you know is grounded, like a water pipe, metal appliance etc....

What you want to do is insure that you have discharged any static electricity on your body before handling the RAM. Then remove the RAM from the static protective bag it came in.

Take a look at sometime at a microscopic picture of just what static electricity can do to a micro circuit. I been in electronics for 35 years and I was amazed when I first saw the actual damage it can cause. It looks just like a copper track on a circuit that blew a hole into the track.

Always practice this policy when handling sensitive electronic components and circuit cards.

I can only imagine the multitudes of people complaining they received a defective circuit card or RAM, when in fact they actually caused the damage and never knew it.

Hope this is helpful to all! ;)

mleibowi

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
I just upgraded to 4gb using OWC ram. It's not too difficult, but being a newb myself, it was a little nerve racking. When installing the new ram, be sure the orientation is correct, and you may need to apply more force than you think is necessary. I thought I was going to break memory or the slots during the installation, but it just requires a lot of force... Good luck!

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
Putting RAM in the MacBook is so incredibly easy. Apple designed the RAM and HD slots really well IMHO. Before you do anything, make sure you ground yourself to the MacBook by touching the metal inside after removing the battery. That way you won't have a static charge on you when handling the RAM.

I just received my black MacBook on Friday and I had previously ordered SAMSUNG 4 GB RAM from OWC for it. Once I checked that the MacBook was functioning properly after 24 hours, I decided to put the 4 GB RAM inside. What a difference going from 2 GB to 4 GB!

The 2 GB left over will go into my wife's older black MacBook, because she only has 1 GB RAM. 1 GB is not enough to run Mac OS X and applications IMO. Having more RAM makes a huge difference in your computing experience. Just ask my Mac Pro if she likes the 16 GB instead of 1 GB RAM. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.