Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disassemble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
NJ
So...

I have a macbook pro 13".. the HD crashed and i had to send it out for recovery (the platter was f'd up) and the optical drive stopped working..

so...

i have a thingy i use where i pllug in the internal HD and it becomes a USB on my imac... can i run Tiger and install it to that specific HD and format it as well? then when i plug the HD back into the macbook it will work?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
What kind of disc are you using to install Tiger? The odds of it working aren't great with either kind of disc, but for different reasons. There are (essentially) 2 kinds of install disc: Retail and Model-Specific. Model-Specific discs will work, but only if the install is done on the same model as the disc. Retail discs work with any computer, but installing via the iMac may cause drivers the MBP needs to not be installed... also problematic is the fact that, since this is an Intel, retail discs can't be used since there never were retail Tiger Intel discs.

disassemble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
NJ
i have the Mac OS X Tiger Includes Xcode2 Install DVD

Version 10.4

This won't work? So i can i run this install disk off my imac and then install it on the selected drive? i will have to reformat the new drive as well and then i figure i can just use this disk... or will i need to replace the optical drive which is having problems and just do it directly on the mac itself?

before the optical drive swap i want to try to get this OS on the HD so i can just pop it in and watch it go.... let me know. thanks mac lovers :apple:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
i have the Mac OS X Tiger Includes Xcode2 Install DVD

Version 10.4

This won't work? So i can i run this install disk off my imac and then install it on the selected drive? i will have to reformat the new drive as well and then i figure i can just use this disk... or will i need to replace the optical drive which is having problems and just do it directly on the mac itself?

before the optical drive swap i want to try to get this OS on the HD so i can just pop it in and watch it go.... let me know. thanks mac lovers :apple:
The problem you'll most likely run into is that the install will refuse to even start, due to being run from a non-MBP.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I'm confused.

Are you trying to put Tiger onto your 13" MacBook Pro (which will not work because Tiger will not install on any 13" MacBook Pro or any Mac made after Nov. 2007)?

disassemble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
NJ
I'm confused.

Are you trying to put Tiger onto your 13" MacBook Pro (which will not work because Tiger will not install on any 13" MacBook Pro or any Mac made after Nov. 2007)?

yes i am trying to install tiger back onto the original Macbook that came with it... But your telling me thats not going to work? Explain and tell me what i need to do. THanks a bunch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.