Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
On my power mac g5 i am trying to install void linux. I can't figure out how to setup the partition on the hard drive. All the guides online is for pc computer and not macs. If anybody know where i can goes to show me how to setup the partitions on a mac g5. Thanks for the help.

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
Yes i saw that. I don't understand it. I have a 480gb ssd and i don't understand how to break it up. Void linux wants me to setup a apple bootstrap partition and a few other partition too. I get lost when it comes to this stuff. I did have debian sid 12 on it. But the installer works great until it comes to the install and select part. It will install and then i get install flailed. I do even get to select anything. But any way i was told void linux is better for power mac G5. Thanks for the help.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I was curious so I looked that page up, but I don't have any experience with PowerPC Macs, not VoidLinux, sorry. Most linux's have auto partitioning available, so I'm really at a loss. After doing some more research, it seems there's nowhere to ask questions about it anymore. Sorry.

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
I was curious so I looked that page up, but I don't have any experience with PowerPC Macs, not VoidLinux, sorry. Most linux's have auto partitioning available, so I'm really at a loss. After doing some more research, it seems there's nowhere to ask questions about it anymore. Sorry.
I look all over to. They have install videos for amd64 pc but not power mac. You think if they make it for power macs they would have a basic video on how to set it up on a power mac. Thanks for your help.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I look all over to. They have install videos for amd64 pc but not power mac. You think if they make it for power macs they would have a basic video on how to set it up on a power mac. Thanks for your help.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

I think Debian has a version that will work, and if it's anything like the intel version, it should have auto partitioning if you choose it. I rather like Debian on intel PC's.

I skipped over the PowerPC Macs, going from the 68000 straight to the intel Macs. It was too expensive for me at the time, though I'm tempted to buy one now.

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

I think Debian has a version that will work, and if it's anything like the intel version, it should have auto partitioning if you choose it. I rather like Debian on intel PC's.

I skipped over the PowerPC Macs, going from the 68000 straight to the intel Macs. It was too expensive for me at the time, though I'm tempted to buy one now.
yes i installed debian sid for power macs. But everything works great but they don't have a internet browser for it. Thanks for the help you gave me.

Reactions: bobcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.