Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Anyone have any success installing Windows 10 on a MacPro3,1?

I've been unable to do so, I downloaded the latest ISO, but I can boot it holding the C key. I also created a USB stick with boot camp, but am unable to boot it, even with clover.

The USB stick booted and installed fine on an old core2 bios based PC, just no joy on the MP3,1.

expede

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2018
Sweden
Hi, DarthnVader!

My recommendation would be to search for Hrutkay at Youtube. Here is a link but it is on Mac Pro 1.1/2.1 but you will find the way if you listen through some of them. It helped me installing Win 10 in my cMP 5.1 (unsupported). But of course you know all this already.

Comment: I did my install with a CD not an USB. In the beginning of Win 10 install, the installer is halted and One are asked to show which partition you would like to do the install. I deleted all the partition and created a new one. This because I got the error message of wrong type of partition. After the deletion and creation of a new, the installer went through without any hesitation. /Per

Last edited:

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
You might have more luck booting with OPTION key .. then .. select your burned ISO.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I installed Windows 10 recently on my MacPro3,1 to test a GC-TITAN RIDGE (Thunderbolt add-in card).

In macOS, I downloaded a Windows iso and burned it to a dual layer DVD (first I had to find a working PATA DVD drive because BIOS booting doesn't work from the two ODD SATA connectors).

Also in macOS, I created a NTFS/FAT partition (using iPartition) on a SSD that is located in one of the four drive bays (other disks don't work for BIOS booting). BIOS booting is recommended for Windows on these Macs that have old EFI. The disk has a hybrid MBR (supports three partitions in Windows, and additional GPT partitions in macOS). This can be setup by iPartition or manually using one or more of diskutil, fdisk, gpt, gdisk (gpt fdisk). When using a MBR, only one partition should have the active flag set. The active partition should have the Windows boot files. In the Windows installer, I selected the partition I created, and selected Format. I suppose an easier way is to let Windows format and repartition an entire disk.

BIOS booting may fail if you have other drives connected via the PCIe slots. I had to remove a Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro Plus PCIe Card adapter that had two SSDs installed. I've had similar issues in the past with an OWC Mercury Accelsior SSD. The issue may be caused by a combination of PCIe cards and graphics cards.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3889937/?answerId=21609001022#21609001022

Newer MacPros may be better at BIOS booting, or can use UEFI booting.

peterrrrr

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2021
Has anyone had any luck with Win10 on MacPro3,1 from USB? I have tried with USB created using the windows media creation tool, I've also tried with an ISO + UnetBootin .. no luck. I hold down option and select the usb drive but nothing happens. then after several minute it boots to mac.

SheetLorde

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020
I have windows 10 installed here is my learning:

1. Windows installer cannot boot from USB drive. Only the Sata port.
2. Have to install on a mbr partitioned disk.
3. Even after installation succeed, you cannot not the windows drive. You have to boot the installer then launch the installed windows drive from the windows installer.

So now I have SATA 3 disks attached. One for windows installer, one of windows, one for osx

SheetLorde

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020
Has anyone had any luck with Win10 on MacPro3,1 from USB? I have tried with USB created using the windows media creation tool, I've also tried with an ISO + UnetBootin .. no luck. I hold down option and select the usb drive but nothing happens. then after several minute it boots to mac.
It doesn't work, use a SATA drive for installer. You know what's the best way to install? Just pull a disk from Windows PC and boot that from the installer.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Actually this should work and does not employ any unreliable boot methods.

Install VirtualBox in your MacOS → Install basic Windows from your ISO into VirtualBox VM → Once done, use Rufus to create a Windows to Go installation on your target disk while it's connected via an USB caddy mapped to VirtualBox VM. Use the same ISO. → Shut down the Mac, remove the W2G disk from USB caddy and install to a SATA port → Boot with option key pressed → Finalize the Windows installation, add drivers (if you are not sure how to do this, as Bootcamp will not be available for your install, use Brigadier in your VM before you shut it down and copy the resulting files to an USB flash disk) → Congratulations, it has now become a regular Windows 10 install.

If everything is OK, you may get rid of the VirtualBox and associated VM to save space on the MacOS disk. Keep in mind Windows 10 will eventually mess your NVRAM and boot settings. If you do any major Windows update, at least do it with your MacOS disk physically removed.

Last edited:

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
I recall I tried last year but decided to go with Linux. It was so much easier to install and use. It depends if you want to use Windows software of course.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
2. Have to install on a mbr partitioned disk.
Or MBR/GPT hybrid.

3. Even after installation succeed, you cannot not the windows drive. You have to boot the installer then launch the installed windows drive from the windows installer.
That ain't right. Examine the gpt partition table, mbr partition table, mbr contents, pbr contents.
Use the script at https://gist.github.com/joevt/a99e3af71343d8242e0078ab4af39b6c to get the info.
Repair the windows boot option in the bcd, etc.

So now I have SATA 3 disks attached. One for windows installer, one of windows, one for osx
You can move Windows to same disk as OS X and get rid of the installer. Maybe Winclone can help.

dommng

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2022
Hi guys. Can soneone confirm - Does the mac pro 3,1 support UEFI boot?

I'm using Martin Lo open core on a usb and though I can select the usb installer (using DOS dudes 32bit efi version) nothing hapens when I slect it.

I tried installing windows via uefi on another machine and was sucessful but hwen I transfer the drive it still can be selected but does not show anyhting on screen.

Is it just a uefi issue?

dommng

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2022
Anyone have any success installing Windows 10 on a MacPro3,1?

I've been unable to do so, I downloaded the latest ISO, but I can boot it holding the C key. I also created a USB stick with boot camp, but am unable to boot it, even with clover.

The USB stick booted and installed fine on an old core2 bios based PC, just no joy on the MP3,1.
were you ever able to do it?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi guys. Can soneone confirm - Does the mac pro 3,1 support UEFI boot?

I'm using Martin Lo open core on a usb and though I can select the usb installer (using DOS dudes 32bit efi version) nothing hapens when I slect it.

I tried installing windows via uefi on another machine and was sucessful but hwen I transfer the drive it still can be selected but does not show anyhting on screen.

Is it just a uefi issue?

No. It does not support UEFI boot.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
It does not support UEFI boot.
It does actually.

Not sure why the Win10 install attempt didn't work but I know that this process does:

Last edited:

dommng

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2022
It does actually.

Not sure why the Win10 install attempt didn't work but I know that this process does:
Thank you. I gave the link a quick browse and didn't notice anything, but I'll take your word that it does suppport UEFI boot.
I have been able to get windows to work on it, thank you! :)

ryderpat

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
UEFI Window won't boot o Mac Pro 3.1..or Window USB Bootable.
didn't work at all

only work in MyBootMgr rEFI

Attachments

• New Icon.jpg
    New Icon.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 76

Firewall66

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
saludos, el que tenga muchos problemas, puede hacer lo siguiente, ya esto lo he hecho varias veces, si tienen una pc inserten el disco el cual utilizarán para la mac pro 3.1, hagan el proceso normal de instalación de windows yo utilice Windows Deltra 10 Pro de 64bits, despues de formatear el disco, el instalador instala todos los archivos de windows para el arranque de windows, al finalizar esto se reiniciara por primera vez, en este momento no dejen reiniciar la PC, solo apaguenla, saquen el disco y colóquenlo en el Mac Pro 3.1 o 5.1 (en mi caso lo he realizado con las dos Modelos), enciendan el mac pro, el puede tardar hasta 2 minutos pantalla Negra después del sonido característico de arranque de un Mac, de hay en adelante todos ustedes saben que hacer, espero esto les ayude
saludos
firewall66

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.