Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themacpronovice2022

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
hi guys, ive got a question for you. ive been tring to install windows 7 pro on my 2009 4,1 flashed to 5,1 mac pro. i cant install it via usb for what ever reason. i want to use the half baked uefi microsoft made for windows 7 but i dont know what update that is.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Dont install Windows via USB or at general in Uefi Mode.

You will botch your bootrom with Windows certificates what can lead (especially on 4,1) to a brick when some other bad things occur together.

If you need, check out the first post of the OpenCore thread, there are instructions.

If you booted a Windows USB thumb drive you may have certs. You can use the tool linked in my signature to check the bootrom / nvram section.

themacpronovice2022

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
Dont install Windows via USB or at general in Uefi Mode.

You will botch your bootrom with Windows certificates what can lead (especially on 4,1) to a brick when some other bad things occur together.

If you need, check out the first post of the OpenCore thread, there are instructions.

If you booted a Windows USB thumb drive you may have certs. You can use the tool linked in my signature to check the bootrom / nvram section.
Okay so explain this to me. I read the guide. But when I did this it didn’t tell me why my windows 7 crashes at the flower booting screen. Why is that? Or it won’t install and get past the installing apps and features.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Okay so explain this to me. I read the guide. But when I did this it didn’t tell me why my windows 7 crashes at the flower booting screen. Why is that? Or it won’t install and get past the installing apps and features.

This is Windows specific. I am no Windows guy.

I talk about the early boot process, the second after the chime when the Windows Uefi bootloader kicks in.

If your Mac firmware becomes unresponsive you will have more trouble than „just“ a Windows OS got locked ;-)

themacpronovice2022

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
This is Windows specific. I am no Windows guy.

I talk about the early boot process, the second after the chime when the Windows Uefi bootloader kicks in.

If your Mac firmware becomes unresponsive you will have more trouble than „just“ a Windows OS got locked ;-)
Okay so I have followed the guide and my open core has every thing installed and working but when I boot from the windows 7 dvd it refuses to run it gives me an error about a mapping issue. And I did have windows 10 uefi installed on my Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1 and it ran with out any issues. So I need some more help

DamnTrain

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2022
If it's the installer being wonky, try to boot to a recovery environment and use third-party tools such as WinNTSetup, or manually install the wim image via dism commands in the command prompt after successfully booting the installer:

dism /apply-image /imagefile:install.wim /index:1 /applydir:C:\ /compact /EA
bcdboot C:\Windows /s D: /f uefi
(C is the destination, D is the installation media)

Notice this only bypasses a wonky installer, not a wonky Windows setup. It may still have more issues even if you managed to install it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.