Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miami.best21

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hello, how do I install Windows XP on an external drive using boot camp?

I need XP to run an old application. I am running OSX Sierra and boot camp is asking me to install Windows 7. How do I install XP only in an external drive? It is already formated but I get a message telling me that it was not able to connect to the sever blah, blah... Any ideas? Thank you.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Hello, how do I install Windows XP on an external drive using boot camp?

I need XP to run an old application. I am running OSX Sierra and boot camp is asking me to install Windows 7. How do I install XP only in an external drive? It is already formated but I get a message telling me that it was not able to connect to the sever blah, blah... Any ideas? Thank you.
You might want this moved to Mac Basics and Help.

Boot camp in Sierra doesn't support XP at all AFAIK, you'll have to do reformatting and install manually. This may not work if your hardware is not supported on boot. I'd just do as @AidenShaw said and use a virtual machine. This should work fine, and will be a lot easier than other methods.

miami.best21

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
You might want this moved to Mac Basics and Help.

Boot camp in Sierra doesn't support XP at all AFAIK, you'll have to do reformatting and install manually. This may not work if your hardware is not supported on boot. I'd just do as @AidenShaw said and use a virtual machine. This should work fine, and will be a lot easier than other methods.

Sorry my ignorance, how does a virtual machine works? This is an area I never needed before. Thank you.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Sorry my ignorance, how does a virtual machine works? This is an area I never needed before. Thank you.
A virtual machine is an operating system being emulated via software, without affecting the main OS. It installs on its own virtual disk, not requiring a partition or use of Bootcamp. These allow you to adjust the amount of resources allocated to the VM, such as CPU speed and RAM. You'd be best off using VirtualBox or VMware.

miami.best21

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
A virtual machine is an operating system being emulated via software, without affecting the main OS. It installs on its own virtual disk, not requiring a partition or use of Bootcamp. These allow you to adjust the amount of resources allocated to the VM, such as CPU speed and RAM. You'd be best off using VirtualBox or VMware.
Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.