Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can i install WordPress on my hard drive? I dont want to use any hosting. For starters i just need it there for educational purposes ;-)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Have a look at MAMP. Have been using it for a few years and it's great, the free version will probably do everything you need, although I have the Pro version. I have a few wordpress sites but haven't bothered to install it on my Mac, I only use the MAMP web server for developing javascript/html/css.

This may help:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I've used InstantWP on Windows.

They also have a MacOS version...

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
...the free version will probably do everything you need, although I have the Pro version.
Can you tell me briefly what are the differences between the Free and the Pro version?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Sorry, I really don't know all the differences but suspect you can find the answer on their site. One major difference is that you can install multiple sites with different roots on the pro version. But that isn't really such a big deal.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Sorry, I really don't know all the differences but suspect you can find the answer on their site. One major difference is that you can install multiple sites with different roots on the pro version. But that isn't really such a big deal.
Yeah i totally agree with you on this ?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I think the pro version also has some wordpress-specific things, like copying whole sites, etc. I thought that would be useful but ended up not using it.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
When i try to download MAMP from their page, it seems thats theres only the PRO version available for download. Am i doing something wrong?

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Sorry, it's been awhile since I used the free version. Is there actually a difference though? It may be the same software but you need to register in order to unlock some features. Maybe contact them if you can't find the answer on their site?

BTW, found this version comparison on their site

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can somebody help? I have installed MAMP on HighSierra and downloaded WPress 5.6. Ive opened and unzipped the WPress file. Many php WP files are located in the unzipped WPress folder... what should i do now? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.