Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwoltman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
I installed OS X with only the essential apps, and now would like to try out XCode. I can't find gcc/g++ in Terminal ('which gcc' gives no results). And it was not obvious from inserting OS X disk 1 and 2 where it may be installed from. Any help would be appreciated.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
jwoltman said:
I installed OS X with only the essential apps, and now would like to try out XCode. I can't find gcc/g++ in Terminal ('which gcc' gives no results). And it was not obvious from inserting OS X disk 1 and 2 where it may be installed from. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think XCode is on the OS X disks. There is a copy on the restore DVD that came with my G5. Just insert the disk and run the "install applications and classic support." That copy is probably out of date though. If you sign up for a free ADC account you can download a disk image with the latest XCode. http://connect.apple.com

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
If you have a fast internet connection you can download Xcode 1.5 from Apple's developer site.

You must register there for a membership, but it's free.

I don't know how you would install Xcode from the install disks. Never tried :p (Plus, you'll probably want to download the newest version anyway).

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I got my Xcode 1.0 bundled together with panther which I bought but it came in a separate disk. You might try re-installing from the disk. But I think it would be better to download from Apple's developer site as specified by the previous poster

jwoltman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
I got XCode installed from the DVD, thank you broken_keyboard. I poked around a bit and am now downloading the update from Apple. Wirelessly. While watching star wars. So far I'm loving my new PowerBook :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.