Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Any ideas how this will work? I'm unsure of how this could just bypass carrier's restrictions but honestly, Apple could have said deal with it or bye bye iPhone ha

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
I'm thinking your phone has to be able to become a hotspot for this to work. So they're not getting around carrier restrictions.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Any ideas how this will work? I'm unsure of how this could just bypass carrier's restrictions but honestly, Apple could have said deal with it or bye bye iPhone ha

I'm pretty sure your phone has to already have the hotspot feature (which is carrier controlled) before instant hotspot can even work.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
where do i find this feature?

There's no feature to find really. You need an iPhone on iOS 8, then either a wifi iPad on iOS 8 or a mac on OSX Yosemite, then the iPad or mac will see the iPhone and list it as an available wifi network.

For those asking about going around carrier permissions, this website from apple even shows in the starred comment at the bottom of the page "*Check with your carrier for hotspot availability." http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/continuity/

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
There's no feature to find really. You need an iPhone on iOS 8, then either a wifi iPad on iOS 8 or a mac on OSX Yosemite, then the iPad or mac will see the iPhone and list it as an available wifi network.

For those asking about going around carrier permissions, this website from apple even shows in the starred comment at the bottom of the page "*Check with your carrier for hotspot availability." http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/continuity/

That's a shame. This was the feature I was most impressed with. Oh well.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
That's a shame. This was the feature I was most impressed with. Oh well.

Not in anyway Apple's fault, as data services are provided by Carrier's/Networks, so its entirely in their control much like how FaceTime over Cellular was/is (even though now its allowed by most carriers -- AT&T I know had restricted it initially)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.