Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switchy

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
I read through the source. If you install it on your own server, it DOES time out after 10 minutes. Forgot what file it was in.

I personally just use Meebo. Meebo is also being optimized for iPhone, according to developer blog.

cheesy

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2003
Los Angeles, CA / Seattle, WA
Since you have the source, it's easy enough to disable or extend the timeout.

Just get rid of (or change) these lines in index.php:

Code:
window.setTimeout("alert('You will be automatically signed out in 1 minute.');", 540000); // 9 minutes
window.setTimeout("window.location='logout.php';", 600000); // 9 minutes

And actually, since it appears to only enforce the time limit on the client side, you could easily bypass it even on the public version with a little JavaScript hackery. Enter this in the URL bar after logging in and press enter:

Code:
javascript:a=window.setTimeout('',0);for(i=a-1000;i<a;i++)window.clearTimeout(i);alert('Timeouts cleared!');

Since you don't know the timeout id you have to brute force guess it (within a range, make sure you execute this soon after logging in).

The only problem with this is it also sometimes clears the timeouts used to poll the server for signed on buddies, new messages, etc, BUT if you initiate a conversation with someone it will start those timers again.

Unfortunately while it works fine in Safari, it doesn't seem to work on the iPhone... oops... so much for that great idea.

p.s. I don't recommend abusing this poor guy's server he so kindly set up for us... this is for educational purposes only... and should be a reminder that trying to do security using client side JavaScript is futile...

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Alright so Chessy got it fixed the 10min Limit. Now we need someone to post it so the public can use it.. i can't do it my hosting doesn't work wit this. Can someone please fix this so we all can start chatting away... like make a server so the public can use...? or something! i Need AIM!!!! lol

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Alright so Chessy got it fixed the 10min Limit. Now we need someone to post it so the public can use it.. i can't do it my hosting doesn't work wit this. Can someone please fix this so we all can start chatting away... like make a server so the public can use...? or something! i Need AIM!!!! lol

meebo.com until this goes public w/o a time limit

dscottbuch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2002
Since you have the source, it's easy enough to disable or extend the timeout.

Just get rid of (or change) these lines in index.php:

Code:
window.setTimeout("alert('You will be automatically signed out in 1 minute.');", 540000); // 9 minutes
window.setTimeout("window.location='logout.php';", 600000); // 9 minutes

And actually, since it appears to only enforce the time limit on the client side, you could easily bypass it even on the public version with a little JavaScript hackery. Enter this in the URL bar after logging in and press enter:

Code:
javascript:a=window.setTimeout('',0);for(i=a-1000;i<a;i++)window.clearTimeout(i);alert('Timeouts cleared!');

Since you don't know the timeout id you have to brute force guess it (within a range, make sure you execute this soon after logging in).

The only problem with this is it also sometimes clears the timeouts used to poll the server for signed on buddies, new messages, etc, BUT if you initiate a conversation with someone it will start those timers again.

Unfortunately while it works fine in Safari, it doesn't seem to work on the iPhone... oops... so much for that great idea.

p.s. I don't recommend abusing this poor guy's server he so kindly set up for us... this is for educational purposes only... and should be a reminder that trying to do security using client side JavaScript is futile...

Thanks for all the help. I've got it working on the iPhone, served both of my Macbook pro and off our company server (sorry can't publish that at the moment) The only issue I'm loking into is the font/size area size which is too small on the iphone.

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Hey, about the hosting:

david at davidkarol dot com

i can either give you a subdomain, or you can point your domain to me, and i'll host.

let me know

David

dscottbuch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2002
Working but would like to change one more thing

In addition to the hint from Cheesy I've added the line

<meta name="viewport" content="width = 320" />

to the header of the login.php, logout.php, index.php Pages. This makes it scale appropriately to the iphone portrait size on load. It is ignored by other browsers.

I've also added the lines
<link media="only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)" href="inc/iPhone.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="inc/style.css?<?= rand(100000,999999) ?>" type="text/css" />

and copied the style.css to iPhone.css so it can be edited separately from other browser uses.

I've also updated the files to use the <?php for better compatibility with generic servers.

So it all works now on my home server (which won't handle a load :) sorry ) but I'm still trying to clean up an annoyance. When entering chat the page zooms in for the text entry and the doesn't zoom out to read it. You have to double tap. I'd like to clean this up and also I'd like to have the chat start at the bottom of the screen and then scroll up so that you don't have to go out of text entry to read the recent messages at the beginning. Unfortunately I don't know enough css to understand what's going on.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
In addition to the hint from Cheesy I've added the line

<meta name="viewport" content="width = 320" />

to the header of the login.php, logout.php, index.php Pages. This makes it scale appropriately to the iphone portrait size on load. It is ignored by other browsers.

I've also added the lines
<link media="only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)" href="inc/iPhone.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="inc/style.css?<?= rand(100000,999999) ?>" type="text/css" />

and copied the style.css to iPhone.css so it can be edited separately from other browser uses.

I've also updated the files to use the <?php for better compatibility with generic servers.

So it all works now on my home server (which won't handle a load :) sorry ) but I'm still trying to clean up an annoyance. When entering chat the page zooms in for the text entry and the doesn't zoom out to read it. You have to double tap. I'd like to clean this up and also I'd like to have the chat start at the bottom of the screen and then scroll up so that you don't have to go out of text entry to read the recent messages at the beginning. Unfortunately I don't know enough css to understand what's going on.

hey dscottbuch - good job on that... if u can gimme the directions or pm me on wut files go where n suff n when i get the hosting up n running we'll be ready to rock.. still working on the hosting... so very soon! be post me the directions n stuff... thanks.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
UPDATE!!! : Alright so i got chessy and I working on this. For some reason can't get AIM to LOG US IN. try it for yourself: http://aim4iphone.davidkarol.com/im

try it.. If anyone good at coding and wants to help me out and take a look at the coding and stuff let me know! We are almost there...!! AIM for iPHONE REAL SOON!!!

(dnt wrry bout that 10mins limit will fix that real soon...)

cheesy

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2003
Los Angeles, CA / Seattle, WA
Here's the deal with hosting providers:

BlueHost: won't work because they use PHP4 (need PHP5)
DreamHost: won't work for unknown reason
MediaTemple: works

Mac OS X: works if you install PHP5

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Works nicely.. but u have to keep refershing to see if the other person responded.. kinda annyoing but better than nothing...

I didn't have to refresh. the new im came up automatically,

arn

thecoalition

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2006
Here's the deal with hosting providers:

BlueHost: won't work because they use PHP4 (need PHP5)
DreamHost: won't work for unknown reason
MediaTemple: works

Mac OS X: works if you install PHP5

Hey cheesy... Im on (mt) and can't get it to work, so I think the dV servers on (mt) don't work. They are on php 4 and mysql 4, so i think thats it...

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Omg! AMAZING!!! it's BETTER THAN AIM!!!! i LOVE IT!!! and it's FREE!!! lol

what has apple done to us? they're getting us excited because of a website designed for iphone... sheesh we need third-party applications. :eek:

on a more personal level... I love this as well!

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
what has apple done to us? they're getting us excited because of a website designed for iphone... sheesh we need third-party applications. :eek:

on a more personal level... I love this as well!

lol Soon enuf we'll be able to put apps.. i dont' think the iphone will be not hackable.. soon they'll hack it and we can install software on it.. it IS MAC OS X LEOPARD!

but the Beejive for iPhone is AMAZING.. i can't wait for trillian tho!

speedyj88

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2007
i've been using jive talk for a few hours and am really liking it. the fact that it keeps you logged in serverside, even when your iphone is no longer communicating with the site, is a plus. it transmits all messages that you received while you were inactive on your iphone once you reactivate the site.

rasskull

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
Yeah, this BeeJive app is pretty sweet. Definitely easier and nicer than anything else out there at this point. Is there no way for a sound to play to notify when a new message shows up? Also, I've found that Safari times out or something after awhile and I have to re-login.

copland007

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
hmm jivetalk has potential, but still has issues, I couldn't get googletalk to work at all through it. I'll keep my eyes on it though, thanx for the link!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.