Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
I posted this in the main mac area and wanted to ask here before I pay for some insurance tonight :)

So, my MB has been living at home. But, I'm about to start taking it out
more, and will be taking it with me all over the place when I'm at Uni in a few months.

The other day, I shut the lid with a pen sitting on thekeyboard. The screen wasn't damaged, but the thought that it almost was, and by something so stupid, made me sure I need to insure this thing!

I can get dorm insurance, but I can't get that until I'm in a dorm, and it won't cover spills. I need something that will cover pretty much anything, spills, theft, drops, etc.
http://www.safeware.com

They seem like the only company in the US that offers this. Can anyone give me their advice as to laptop insurance?

I know homeowners insurance might cover it, but I don't know how that works with a deductable and all that. I just need to get something in the next few days so I don't freak out about carrying this thing on planes and whatnot.

I do not have applecare, but I do have some three year coverage from defects through Circuit City.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
I posted this in the main mac area and wanted to ask here before I pay for some insurance tonight :)

So, my MB has been living at home. But, I'm about to start taking it out
more, and will be taking it with me all over the place when I'm at Uni in a few months.

The other day, I shut the lid with a pen sitting on thekeyboard. The screen wasn't damaged, but the thought that it almost was, and by something so stupid, made me sure I need to insure this thing!

I can get dorm insurance, but I can't get that until I'm in a dorm, and it won't cover spills. I need something that will cover pretty much anything, spills, theft, drops, etc.
http://www.safeware.com

They seem like the only company in the US that offers this. Can anyone give me their advice as to laptop insurance?

I know homeowners insurance might cover it, but I don't know how that works with a deductable and all that. I just need to get something in the next few days so I don't freak out about carrying this thing on planes and whatnot.

I do not have applecare, but I do have some three year coverage from defects through Circuit City.

I actually went to my agent today and my mom added it to our homeowner's insurance. I only have to pay like $50 a year and it's full coverage, as long as the damage is "accidental." But here's a little of what they cover:

damage from dropping
damage from spills
theft

And a ton more. They cover everything. You should call your insurance agent and get a quote. It's definitely worth it.

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
I'm interested in any info about Safeware, too. I was looking at that earlier today and wondered if anyone had any experience with/advice about it.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I contacted Safeware about 6 months ago or so about insurance coverage for MacBook Pros that my school might have bought (they have since not, and I am actually no longer there anyway) and they seemed to be pretty well reviewed and rated. I am not sure about their single machine policies, but for a fleet of machines, it came down to about $1 for every $6 of worth of the item (so an $1800 MBP would be $300 to insure) for 3 years. And they cover just about everything except intentional damage.

Airline loss
Natural disaster
Theft
Burglary (they have this listed separately)
Accidental Damage
Water
Fire
Act of God

You get the idea. I am considering contacting them again when I get my next new Mac portable.

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
From what I could tell, it would only cost me about $78/year to insure my MacBook. That's definitely not bad. And since it covers all the accidental stuff . . . I may just give it a go. Nothing's too good for my MacBook. ^_^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.