Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Exactly what the market needs right now. A competitor top drive nVidia to lower those insane prices. Heck, the are charging RTX/GTX x080 prices on a clear RTX/GTX x065 part.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm thinking of building a new PC soon and I may choose an Intel ARC for my system (I'm not a gamer or a high-end graphics user).
Definitely do your research, it can be a good buy, given the price point, but you may also be opening the door to unnecessary headaches.

A competitor top drive nVidia to lower those insane prices.
That's not going to be Intel (at least in the near or mid future), their current generation of GPUS barely beat out an RTX 3060, and playing older DX9 games is slower then GTX class GPUs.

AMD is having their media event for their next gen GPU next month, while I've long been a fan of Nivida, I'll be more likely to get the AMD over anything else.

Don't get me wrong, overall competition is going to be good for the consumer, however there's no guarantee that Intel is going to remain in the GPU business. They tried this before and abandoned the market due to poor sales (due to poor GPU performance). Any possible benefit to the consumer is probably a 2, 3 or more generations away, given how slow it took Intel to roll this out - just my opinion but their missteps haven't given me a lot of confidence.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Exactly what the market needs right now. A competitor top drive nVidia to lower those insane prices. Heck, the are charging RTX/GTX x080 prices on a clear RTX/GTX x065 part.
We can only hope Intel sticks to Arc through Celestial, where they will finally try competing at the top end. Otherwise nvidia is going to keep all the mindshare/marketshare for themselves.

If you believe MLID Intel isn't making anymore Alchemist cards because he is pretty sure Arc has been cancelled.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
We can only hope Intel sticks to Arc through Celestial
There were rumors floating around recently that Intel was cancelling Arc

Intel Arc GPUs could be canceled already

I do believe there was some truth to that rumor, I think them seeing how the A770 was stacking up against nvidia and the cost of R&D, there were people inside intel pushing to not turn this into a money pit. How far up the chain that sort of conversation made it, is anyone's guess.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
There were rumors floating around recently that Intel was cancelling Arc

Intel Arc GPUs could be canceled already

I do believe there was some truth to that rumor, I think them seeing how the A770 was stacking up against nvidia and the cost of R&D, there were people inside intel pushing to not turn this into a money pit. How far up the chain that sort of conversation made it, is anyone's guess.
It makes you wonder for sure. GN did a tear down of a 770 and it looked like the card was built in Q1. I mean maybe they sent out close to ENG sample cards for reviews instead of retail units?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It makes you wonder for sure. GN did a tear down of a 770 and it looked like the card was built in Q1. I mean maybe they sent out close to ENG sample cards for reviews instead of retail units?
Indeed and then either GN, or another LTT mentioned the transistor count, complex design, and beefy set up of the A770, and implied that this was supposed to take on a RTX 2070 or 3080 but failed to do so. I have to agree that its a bigger card with more power then what a typical 3060 type GPU would use.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I suspect that what caused them to fail to hit the timeline was the driver software. There’s no other reason i can think of to have cards sitting in the warehouse since february.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I suspect that what caused them to fail to hit the timeline was the driver software.
That's my guess as well, but from what the I've seen on the reviews, that added time wasn't well spent, as the performance is still hit or miss. At one point they decided to drop native DX9 support and instead use DX12 with some sort of DX9 emulation and that is just killing any performance for older games.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
That's my guess as well, but from what the I've seen on the reviews, that added time wasn't well spent, as the performance is still hit or miss. At one point they decided to drop native DX9 support and instead use DX12 with some sort of DX9 emulation and that is just killing any performance for older games.
That MS offers that mode at all is actually kind of cool. Allows older games to run without the drivers team having to support old pipelines/commands. It seems like it is similar to OpenGL on Metal (it is emulated right?).

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Definitely do your research, it can be a good buy, given the price point, but you may also be opening the door to unnecessary headaches.

That's not going to be Intel (at least in the near or mid future), their current generation of GPUS barely beat out an RTX 3060, and playing older DX9 games is slower then GTX class GPUs.

AMD is having their media event for their next gen GPU next month, while I've long been a fan of Nivida, I'll be more likely to get the AMD over anything else.

Don't get me wrong, overall competition is going to be good for the consumer, however there's no guarantee that Intel is going to remain in the GPU business. They tried this before and abandoned the market due to poor sales (due to poor GPU performance). Any possible benefit to the consumer is probably a 2, 3 or more generations away, given how slow it took Intel to roll this out - just my opinion but their missteps haven't given me a lot of confidence.
Agreed on the Intel GPU performance issue, but that doesn't mean a third doesn't help. I have been normally also nVidia based, but did go with ATI (before AMD) back in the HD 5870. Back when Fermi needed a nuclear reactor to run, which seems to be the same now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
That MS offers that mode at all is actually kind of cool
No question, but its troubling that a major chip maker trying to break into the GPU business would cut such a corner and handicap their cards so badly when they're already in an uphill battle against entrenched competitors.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
No question, but its troubling that a major chip maker trying to break into the GPU business would cut such a corner and handicap their cards so badly when they're already in an uphill battle against entrenched competitors.
True. Intel isn't doing themselves any favors. I haven't seen many reviews of the Arc line talk about really old games (I think the oldest I've seen mentioned is CS:GO which runs). Otherwise it looks like (according to TechSpot) the Arc line actually does better than the 3060 at 1440p in most of the games tested.
1440p-p.webp

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I was thinking about the whole Intel Arc thing earlier and how Intel just makes projects and just abandons them like Google does. Optane, their old dGPUs, Pentium 5 (lol that is actually kinda funny to think about retrospectively), etc.

Who is to say that Intel doesn't just abandon ARC in 6 years?
Why are they making dGPUs instead of knocking it out the park with their iGPUs?
Why are they targeting the midrange gaming market only or are they just bleeding out in term of innovation? Yes there are most likely some newer features of the ARC Pro series, but my tried and true AMD WX7100 inside my home PC actually has more VRAM and TFLOPs than the ARC Pro 50. Oh and the WX7100 is a single slot vs Intel's Dual Slot.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I was thinking about the whole Intel Arc thing earlier and how Intel just makes projects and just abandons them like Google does. Optane, their old dGPUs, Pentium 5 (lol that is actually kinda funny to think about retrospectively), etc.

Who is to say that Intel doesn't just abandon ARC in 6 years?
Why are they making dGPUs instead of knocking it out the park with their iGPUs?
Why are they targeting the midrange gaming market only or are they just bleeding out in term of innovation? Yes there are most likely some newer features of the ARC Pro series, but my tried and true AMD WX7100 inside my home PC actually has more VRAM and TFLOPs than the ARC Pro 50. Oh and the WX7100 is a single slot vs Intel's Dual Slot.
They are using the dGPU tech in their Xe iGPU's. With more of it coming with meteor lake tiled GPU's, supposedly, lol.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Where do you even buy one since Amazon, Micro Center, Newegg, Best Buy, etc. don't carry them? Tough to compete price wise anyway at $329 for A770 when equivalent performance 6650xt is going for as low as $265.

1665523602731.png

Reactions: jav6454 and maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
when equivalent performance 6650xt is going for as low as $265.
This is what stopped me, I can get a good AMD card that has a better track record. I'm actually waiting for the November AMD event, either for the latest gen, or getting a current model for less

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Well I got a Lenovo Yoga laptop with Arc A370 4gb which is supposed to be similar to a 3050ti or 1650.

It is a 2 in one productivity laptop not really a gaming rig so I am not expecting much.

The laptop was over 50% off with a 12th Gen 12700 14 core processor which gets similar geekbench results to the m1 Pro processor. Since it was under 1k with a pci 4 1 tb ssd, 16gb ddr5 ram and a 16.2" 2.5k touchscreen is display at 400 nits I couldn't resist. I have the same 7i in a 14" which I also got at over 50% off on a members only BestBuy sale. I am obviously selling the 14". It had a 1255u.

I have a M2 MBA for portability and I wanted a larger screen laptop to balance it. I use windows for work applications and this 7i with a 16" screen should be perfect for that. The discrete Intel arc graphics was just a bonus as I really just wanted the power of the 14 core Intel processor.

I will load a couple steam games on it and see how it does and report back.

Honestly as good as Nvidia graphics are I kind of hate Nvidia gpu. Always over priced and they don't always play well on laptops. Their always updating the GPU which is good but annoying.

I would love to see Intel actually be a valid competitor in the GPU space. Hopefully the integration between Intel 12th generation CPU and Arc GPU is good and simplifies things.

Obviously in a mobile device it is a lot different than a desktop GPU and I am not buying it separately like others here have commented on as if I was buying a GPU for my desktop if I owned one I would probably go AMD.

But I thought it might be interesting for people here to hear how the mobile GPU performs. I will run some benchmarks and report back once I have the laptop. If any of you have a specific benchmark you would like to see post here and I will try to accommodate you.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Congrats on your new pc. Good luck

Same. I’m hating Nvidia and won’t buy one of their Gpus again
Well I got the PC from Lenovo and it is defective. Trackpad is not responding and doesn’t even show up in device manager. I restored the device using a recovery image from Lenovo and it made no difference.

Lenovo customer service has been pretty terrible so far. They don’t have any more stock of my unit configuration. So they said for me to return it and buy another device on their website. Of course I got a great deal at the time and no other laptop is even close to what I paid. I told them I just want to replace the unit with one that works or offer me a similar replacement.

They have an exact same laptop but with a 512gb ssd instead of 1 tb. But they won’t exchange it because it is not exactly the same even though they are out of stock on my exact unit.

I had to escalate to a supervisor and now I am waiting for new stock in less than a week and if they get one they will replace the one I have but if they don’t then my only option will be a return.

I have spent hours on the phone and have received conflicting information almost every time. I am doubtful that I will get what I ordered in working condition. Feels like a bait and switch to me. Send a defective unit at a too good to be true price then when customer receives it have them return it and buy a more expensive version.

If Lenovo can’t replace the unit I have with a similar configuration for what I have already paid then I will have no choice but to return the laptop. I may not buy another Lenovo after this experience. I have dealt with HP, Dell, Razer, Asus and many other OEM’s and never had a issue with a defective unit they weren’t willing to exchange for a similar product to make the customer happy. This is the first time it is either return, wait for a refund and if you want a similar product pay more for it while you still don’t have the refund.

I did do some light benchmarking and my results were not very promising. If I had a working unit I would put it through the paces but this one doesn’t even benchmark much faster than 1260p on multi core and graphics on Dgpu were the same as integrated iris?

So far Lenovo has made me very unhappy with the brand. I have had good experiences with Lenovo in the past and I have tried to be open minded but I don’t know what else to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.