Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It is so very hard to feel bad for Intel. They have been so smug and ill behaved over the years that this has a strong feeling of comeuppance.

I'm sure someone is going to draw a link to Apple Silicon here, but AS isn't the reason Intel is struggling. Apple Silicon's success and Intel's failures share the same roots (a calcified x86 design and Intel's embarrassing failures at the fab), and seeing AS breeze by x86 has shown a spotlight on Intel's vulnerability, but Intel certainly isn't struggling because of AS.

And yeah, I think the whipsawing in the supply chain as the pandemic started and let up is causing any number of challenges for component suppliers. When OEMs have been accumulating deeper inventories because of uncertainty in supply and then suddenly the demand for parts lets up and supply is unhindered, the demand at Intel is going to fall even further because OEMs will consume their inventory before placing new orders.

Reactions: c0ppo

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

My biggest question would be what percentage is because of people not buying computers vs people who are buying a computer with a different brand of processor.

Clearly part of this is due to Apple silicon because Mac sales are numbers of processors they are no longer selling and even worse there could be losses from people buying Mac laptops instead of Intel powered Windows laptops.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
My biggest question would be what percentage is because of people not buying computers vs people who are buying a computer with a different brand of processor.

Clearly part of this is due to Apple silicon because Mac sales are numbers of processors they are no longer selling and even worse there could be losses from people buying Mac laptops instead of Intel powered Windows laptops.
PC sales are down about 30%. Most of the loss is simply lower sales volumes industry wide. There isn't any doom and gloom. It's unreasonable that market analysts think companies have to grow every single year. When the pandemic caused a major spike in sales.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I believe the reason is that many people purchased computers during the pandemic, and so there are fewer people in the market for a new PC at the moment.

I have little sympathy for them though, when they engaged in numerous stock buybacks during a bull market. What sucks is the mass layoffs, and that they cut the base pay of employees, which affects rank and file workers more than executes (who tend to have more of their compensation tied to stock options).

And the annoying thing is that they just received a bunch more money under the CHIPS act, when they absolutely did not need the money. But with the Taiwan situation being a real risk, it may be a necessary evil in the larger scope of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.