Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I have a bit of a strange situation.. I managed to get Snow Leopard working on my 2012 MacBook Pro Ivy Bridge (Unsupported i7 CPU) but I really want to get some basic video support (multiple resolutions) working. Even without GPU accelleration games etc. run really well but they either run in a window or a small part of the screen.

Snow Leopard Is incredibly fast and there are no issues with PPC app support. There is no video or sound support but Snow Leopard recognises 64MB VRAM (out of the 1536 MB shared memory) and understandably has "no kext loaded". I've tried installing the Intel kexts from Mavericks but they don't work, I'm assuming there are other system requirements for these to be compatible.

I also tried installing the Natit package (hackintosh) which resulted in the GPU being recognised as an NVDIA GPU with 128MB, but I still couldn't get any other resolutions other than native.

Are there any packages or kexts out there that could bring some basic compatibility to the Intel HD Graphics 4000 on Snow Leopard? I know there has been a lot of work done on hackintosh machines and I've been searching for the last few days but haven't had much luck.

Any ideas on how I can get the smallest amount of support just so I can have resolution changes?

Last edited:
Reactions: B S Magnet

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
While it would be really cool to have a machine that could run SL to Ventura really well, I don't think there's a way to get this to work. Besides, Snow Leopard predates many of the apis and technologies in the HD 4000.

I also wonder how much vram would be allocated to it if you'd manage to get it to work in SL. In ML it would allocate 512mb instead of 1536

Eccofonic

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2018
It's too bad they dropped support for Snow Leopard... because benchmarks I've done in Windows XP show the 4000HD to be alot faster than any previous Intel video chips. And this is the last Intel video chip with XP support.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
use opencore to spoof the Device ID of the intel HD 4000 to intel HD 3000's device ID

while messing around with an old Acer laptop I had some limited sucess in doing this

(in that for Hackintoshes not even HD 3000 ever worked in Snow Leopard, but, in spoofing HD 4000 like 3000 I was able to get the same failure symptoms, so on a real Mac it might just work)

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
@Hughmac Thanks for the suggestion but I couldn't get SwitchRes to work, every resolution I set was "invalid" after rebooting.

@LightBulbFun Thank you that looks interesting, I'll do some reading and will give it a go! If you have any tips with setting this up please let me know :)

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
@LightBulbFun What platform-id/device-id did you use in your opencore config? I've tried a few different combinations and it does change the device ID under System Preferences but I haven't been able to get any further support yet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 9.08.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 9.08.47 PM.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 63
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.