Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
To me the releases posed several questions. Mainly, why the release of this intel iMac. It has pretty much no advantages over the outgoing G5 model it is going to be slowly replacing (they still sell G5s on the store). The perfomance boost sounds great, but it wont be noticeable if your using your programs through 'Rosetta', which because alot of programs are not yet universal binaries, means most wont notice. Also, i certainly believe that the pricing is a little optimistic. I was expecting them to be equally priced, or lower priced than G5 models, so the price hike (only £30 but still) seems a little strange. However, it has to be admitted great work Apple for getting the products out so soon.

Secondly, the names. MacbookPro? Macbook Pro? whatever it is, i think its a step in the right direction. I presume over time Apple will get Mac into all the names. This will most likely mean people find it easier to associate the products with each other, and provides a universal naming system for future product developments. Perhaps the future line will be:
Mac Mini
Mac (iMac)
Mac Pro (Powermac)
Mac Book
Mac Book Pro
Of course, the iPod line will remain the iPod, not MacMusicBox or something...

Thirdly, with OSX 10.4.4 aparrently native to intel processors, does this mean us owners who have the old PPC mean that 10.4.3 is going to be faster than 10.4.4? Also, I think its brilliant that Apple has released iWeb. It seems an excellent way for them to bring in new consumers to the 'self-made website; market. Perhaps this signals further developments, maybe a professional level Website design program?? I think this is when PPC users will start to panic. Especially those (like me) who only bought their mac a few weeks/months ago. However, i am confident that Apple to continue to provide support for the PPC users, although i cant see OSX 10.5.5 (ish) being PPC, at best Universal.

The Macbook Pro has to be the best laptop i have ever seen. Clearly its been a little rushed (The single display size the main indicator) but its excellent to see an iSight in a laptop screen (God knows how they fit it in), and the weight and size is astonishing.

Overall, i think the MacWorld Expo announcements are very interesting. Maybe a few mistakes here and there, but it is clearly a massive step towards Apple getting a better (bigger) market share. I think Apples decision to continue to sell their PPC products is extremly interesting. It shows maybe they arnt that confident in the new products (of course extremly unlikely) but perhaps suggests that they can understand peoples reluctance to change the core of their Macs after using them for however many years. Thanks for reading (or scrolling to the bottom)

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
That naming scheme makes a lot of sense, although PowerMac does contain "Mac" in it as does "iMac".

I can see them dropping PowerMac, but iMac seems to fit into their marketing scheme.

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
smwatson said:
Thirdly, with OSX 10.4.4 aparrently native to intel processors, does this mean us owners who have the old PPC mean that 10.4.3 is going to be faster than 10.4.4?

No, Jobs said it's all universal binary. So, there is PPC code and Intel code. Otherwise, 10.4.4 wouldn't run on PPC at all. Recall Rosetta is for running PPC code on Intel, not vice versa. So, if something is released for Intel only, then it will not run at all on PPC.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
I thought they may keep the 'i' exclusive to software and music range (itunes,ipod,iphoto) etc. Maybe they will release a lifestyle mac called iMac, but different to the current one??? Of course its all speculation, but, as they say, you gotta speculate to accumulate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.