Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
I am looking at buying either an iMac or MacBook Pro. Probably going on it lasting me for around 4 years or so. I will be doing video editing for broadcast journalism at my HS, and wedding and quince videos (not heavily edited just identifers intros and a few transitions where they could be needed) Also websurfing, chatting, email and music.
I am thinking heavily on getting a MacBook 1.83 GHZ~, pending reviews with good battery life and not that many bugs. However, my neighbor pointed out that I would be better off with an Intel iMac because of more space, faster chip and the dual layer burner. But I would really enjoy a portable to take with me here and there. On road trips and to bed to watch a movie or outside or to familys houses.
But the larger power lies in the iMac... any suggestions on what to buy that will have a balance of video and personal use?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Unless portability is an absolute must I can't recommend a laptop for video editing. That being said, do you want an editing computer that you can do some personal stuff on or do you want a personal computer that you can do some editing on? If the primary function of the machine is to edit w/then get the iMac. If the primary function of the machine is as your everyday computer then get the laptop if you think you'll benefit from having a portable.

Lethal

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
When picking an Intel iMac vs. an Intel MacBook Pro both computers use the new Intel Duo (iMac use the 1.83Ghz and 2.0Ghz while MacBook uses the 1.67Ghz and 1.83Ghz), they both have DL DVD Burners and they both use the same Ati X1600 graphics chipset. The only real major difference is that the iMac can have up to a 500GB Hard Disk while you are kind of stuck with a 100GB Hard Disk for the MacBook.

Performance wise comparing the iMac to the MacBook there is very little difference because of the components used in both computers are nearly identical. What you have to be asking is do you want more portability or a desktop computer system and how big is your budget?

Personally if I was doing a fair bit of multimedia and video tasks I would go for the new 20" Intel iMac with more RAM and a bigger Hard Disk more because of the storage space and the bigger screen not for the overall performance (with that said the performace on all the new Intel Macs are very sweet).

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
For the most part it will be for personal with some video editing, not hardcore full length movies. If i get the MacBook i will get an external 160 to 300GB HD. And they will both have 1 Gig of ram. And unfortunatley the MacBook Pro has no DL, they took it out...
If the video editing becomes heavy I will save money and buy an iMac (That is my plan.)
My budget is pretty nice. I've been saving forever and have done quite well. I have enough to buy a Macbook, no more than that however. For now at least. This will be my first personal mac, though I've used many others. And will probably wait for march to roll around to get the intel version of FCE.
EDIT: First Review of the MBP looks prommising.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
MBP with externals..

Your second post idea looks like the best bet. As it will be primarily a 'personal' machine, with video editing just one function, go for what you want.

Get an external FireWire hard drive (up to 500 GB in a standard drive, or if you get serious, an array up to 2 GB in size on four drives,) and an external dual-layer burner (faster than the iMac's internal burner, anyway.) And it would make a great video editing station.

And if you later get serious enough to need a 'real' video-editing-only machine, go for the Intel replacement for the PowerMac.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Too bad they removed FW800 from the Powerbooks because that could seriously come in handy when doing video editing with the macbook pro.

You said you were in High School? I'm currently in college and love my 15" Powerbook for everything. My advice is the Macbook if you plan on going to college soon because you just can't beat a notebook in college. That's thinking into the future.

There are times that I dream of having a nice 20" iMac sitting on my desk, but I don't think I'd be very happy if I only had the iMac...

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Here's an idea. Wait for a 12" or 13" model to come out onto the market. If it is the same price as the current 12" then you can get a 12" with a 20" ACD, or a larger comparable Dell, for roughly the same price. Then get all of your external hookups and you'll be set. I kind of regret not looking into that idea when I got my 15", but none the less I've got it and I love it endlessly. I'd really advise going portable too if you're going to be going to college. Taking notes in class, especially on a Mac, is very beneficially. You'll find yourself paying more attention and taking better notes.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Thanks everyone, and I'm a freshman right now but I see yall's point. I dont know about the 500GB HD, I will probably only need 300, (We only use 2 tapes per wedding, the prices reflect it) As far as a 13" MBP.... I dont know, I could but the 15" is just right and the 12" is way to small, id be running a bajillion programs knowing me :). But I think your right that for school and college down the line (Yes I will still have it by then to just take notes) it will probably be nice to have to not only take notes but to go to friends and family's houses, which I still do now...

Final Thought: Buy a MBP (pending a few more reviews) 15" 1.83 GHZ~ and buy a 300 GB external drive, and if the video editing gets heavy, buy an iMac. or an iMac for college down the line since they are fairly portable. Anly last comments or suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.