Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the_insider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
USA / UK
Hey guys, im going to order one of these two computers very soon, and im having trouble deciding between them.

Now with these two comps running on the same chips, how much faster is the imac going to be compared with the macbook. And do you guys really think that each of the cores on the imac runs faster than the g5? and finally if the new imac were compared to an existing computer (speed wise) what would it be. Thanks for all the info

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I think you'll have to wait for the reviews and benchmarks to hit. No one here can really answer any of these questions at all, since we've had as much exposure to these new Macs and new Intel chips as you have. ;)

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
risc said:
I think you'll have to wait for the reviews and benchmarks to hit. No one here can really answer any of these questions at all, since we've had as much exposure to these new Macs and new Intel chips as you have. ;)

I completely agree with risc's point that you have to wait for the benchmarks to really be able to compare speed.
The other deciding factor, obviously, is your specific needs.
If you don't really need the portability, you will generally get more bang-for-your-buck with the desktop, e.g. Intel iMac.
However, if the money difference isn't really a problem & you like the portability, then go with the MacBook Pro.
In either case, you're getting the current state-of-the-art Apple product & you'll likely be happy with either.

Good luck!

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
system specs

from looking at the raw system specs. both are running same ram, same vid card. The only differency otherwise is the ghz, so if ur looking for the best machine (and price) go with the 20 inch imac.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
it also depends on how soon you need it, Macbooks were only ANNOUNCED, and won't be shipping until February. A few members have posted their pre-order shipping date being in the region of Feb. 15th. ;)

To me it would really be about price, since from what i can see, much of the computers are similar...Personally the Macbooks are too expensive and i would wait until the next revision if i was buying..but im a student so everything is really too expensive at this point :p . If you have the funds then i would choose having the option of portability.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
I think the iMac is a much better value. With a upgrade to a single 1 Gig RAM, the iMac is about $775 cheaper. And it has the dual layer Super Drive, bigger and faster hard drive, and more FireWire and USB ports.

lasuther

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
Like mentioned before if you are looking bang for your buck the iMac looks very interesting.

If you are looking for portability you have to sacrifice a little bit and pay a premium.

....Or you can always wait for a faster and better one right around the corner !!!:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.