Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeyawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Hi guys, I couldn't hold out any longer after the keynote so I went ahead and purchased the current Mac Mini with bluetooth and airport. However, I have my heart set on the intel mac mini whenever it's suppose to come out. I'm really loving the mac mini but I heard the intel ones are going to be 2-3 times faster.

So since it wasn't announced at the keynote, when can we expect it to come out? Is there another event at which it could be announced? I heard June but I'm not sure if that's true or if that was referring to the intel mac mini's release date.

Thanks for any info.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
We're hoping soon, and a lot of people are expecting soon, but no one really knows. It most likely will not be announced at any sort of major event, rather Apple will probably have a private press event.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
keeyawn said:
Hi guys, I couldn't hold out any longer after the keynote so I went ahead and purchased the current Mac Mini with bluetooth and airport. However, I have my heart set on the intel mac mini whenever it's suppose to come out. I'm really loving the mac mini but I heard the intel ones are going to be 2-3 times faster.

So since it wasn't announced at the keynote, when can we expect it to come out? Is there another event at which it could be announced? I heard June but I'm not sure if that's true or if that was referring to the intel mac mini's release date.

Thanks for any info.

And did you hear in 1-3 years they will be 4-7x faster.. And in 10 years it may even be able to make you toast and spread the vegemite for you...The incessant whining and complaining about "should i buy a PPC mac or hold out for Intel" or the "damn i just bought a PPC mac should i return it" is borderline pathetic, if not already old and annoying...

Its a computer it will never hold its value, it will be outdated starting the moment its built, and i guarantee you 100% that within a certain timeframe it will be replaced by something faster/better looking/more shiny. Enough with the whining already, its a Mac so we already know its superior to anything out there, just be happy with that..

Ed

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Ed H said:
And did you hear in 1-3 years they will be 4-7x faster.. And in 10 years it may even be able to make you toast and spread the vegemite for you...The incessant whining and complaining about "should i buy a PPC mac or hold out for Intel" or the "damn i just bought a PPC mac should i return it" is borderline pathetic, if not already old and annoying...

Its a computer it will never hold its value, it will be outdated starting the moment its built, and i guarantee you 100% that within a certain timeframe it will be replaced by something faster/better looking/more shiny. Enough with the whining already, its a Mac so we already know its superior to anything out there, just be happy with that..

Ed

Chill man. They're simply asking when it is expected to be released.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Probably no sooner than 6 months. So you'll be with that mac mini for a while. Intel won't have the single core yonah out until about june, and apple would be insane to put a dual core in the budget computer. And therefore it'll won't be 2-3x faster.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Will_reed said:
lol why not.
Cost. A Core Duo mini would have to be closer to $1000 (think Intel iMac w/o screen) than $500.

For all we know Apple will start shipping Pentium-M's in the mini without telling anyone about it, just like they did for the last/current G4 update.

B

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
balamw said:
Cost. A Core Duo mini would have to be closer to $1000 (think Intel iMac w/o screen) than $500.

For all we know Apple will start shipping Pentium-M's in the mini without telling anyone about it, just like they did for the last/current G4 update.

B

I don't think so. I bet they will have a core duo mini for the same pricepoint. There are plenty other things about the iMac that drive up the price.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I believe the Mac minis will receive the single core variant of the Yonah, which is due out in a couple months (probably the same processor the iBooks will receive). So, I would say come spring you'll see an Intel Mac mini. Just my opinion. :cool:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
joecool85 said:
I don't think so. I bet they will have a core duo mini for the same pricepoint. There are plenty other things about the iMac that drive up the price.
Core Duos go for > $200. G4s (as in the mini) are < $50. Going to be a while before we get a $50 Core Duo Mini. ;)

Core Solo, due later this year, is definitely a candidate.

B

dparri526

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2006
Morn said:
Probably no sooner than 6 months. So you'll be with that mac mini for a while. Intel won't have the single core yonah out until about june, and apple would be insane to put a dual core in the budget computer. And therefore it'll won't be 2-3x faster.

I was sure I heard Steve say that all macs would have dual core processors.:confused:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
dparri526 said:
I was sure I heard Steve say that all macs would have dual core processors.:confused:

Are you referring to his Keynote from MWSF? Because in that speech he indicated that all Intel Macs currently have dual core processors - i.e. the MacBook Pro and iMac, all two of them. ;) At any rate, that is how I took that comment. Did you hear Steve say something else during another event or press release?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
well my sources at apple say that the powerbook G5's will be out next tuesday.....so my guess will be in about 2 weeks for the mac mini :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
puckhead193 said:
well my sources at apple say that the powerbook G5's will be out next tuesday.....so my guess will be in about 2 weeks for the mac mini :rolleyes:

Nice one! :D I like how you even managed to incorporate the ever-common poor grammar that many people use as well when they say PowerBook G5's instead of G5s - excellent mock job, two thumbs up! :cool:

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Dr. Dastardly said:
I just have a gut feeling that there will be a press anouncement like Chaszmyr said. My gut says April 1st, Apples 30th birthday.

Trust the gut.

How do we even know there will be an intel Mac Mini?

Maybe they'll decide that the product doesn't make sense.

Maybe they'll decide that the Mac Mini form factor is a good one, but that it should be a feature-rich multimedia computer, and that it will be priced more like an iMac.

Personally I don't care about a mini with an intel chip. I'd like a mini, with an intel chip, and front row, and a DVR, and a bunch of other stuff so I can integrate it into my AV system. And, although I'm crazy, I'd actually expect to pay more than $500 for that.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Le Big Mac said:
How do we even know there will be an intel Mac Mini?

Maybe they'll decide that the product doesn't make sense.

Maybe they'll decide that the Mac Mini form factor is a good one, but that it should be a feature-rich multimedia computer, and that it will be priced more like an iMac.

Personally I don't care about a mini with an intel chip. I'd like a mini, with an intel chip, and front row, and a DVR, and a bunch of other stuff so I can integrate it into my AV system. And, although I'm crazy, I'd actually expect to pay more than $500 for that.

Nah, there will be an Intel Mac mini - whether in its current incarnation or as some home theater/DVR/VIIV appliance, it will be around for a long time - it's too popular of a seller for Apple not to be. :cool:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Morn said:

It's certainly possible but I think the big deal is coordinating the changes to the iBook/Mac mini line. Apple are most likely finishing the design and probably need time to get a dual core processor working well in such a confined area. Yes, it's got better performance per watt but it's still a heavy hitter compared to the single core G4.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
wiggy4ever said:
anyone have any idea on performance increase vs the g4 if its only a single core?

It would still be significantly better, probably twice as fast as opposed to four times as fast as we have with the MacBook Pros.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
1.5x I guess. Which is 50% faster.
A dual core mac mini is about as likely as a G5 mac mini was.:rolleyes: Yes, lets make a mac mini with a 160GB laptop drive, core duo and a 7800go. ;) Don't be absurd.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
wiggy4ever said:
anyone have any idea on performance increase vs the g4 if its only a single core?

It will definately be at least a 25% increase, especially as they would have a bigger L2 cache and an FSB that would blow away a similarly clocked G4. It will also help if they increase the graphics power although I'm guessing on Intel Integrated on the low-end for a super-cheap model.

ansalmo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
balamw said:
Core Duos go for > $200. G4s (as in the mini) are < $50. Going to be a while before we get a $50 Core Duo Mini. ;)

Core Solo, due later this year, is definitely a candidate.

B

But, other than for marketing reasons, why is a Core Solo more likely than a Core Duo? The price of a low-end Core Solo in bulk is apparently $209, whilst the bottom-end Core Duo runs to $241.

It seems a shame to lose the dual-core functionality from the Mini for the sake of $32 :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.