Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
For most consumers, not those on tech forums, the "I" stands for Intel, and 5, 7, 9 is a very simple way of knowing it's an Intel chip, and the numbers indicate how powerful it is. Like good, better, best. It's a KISS type of chip identification. You can't throw 13900K at average consumers, and have them know what that means. Heck, I don't know.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
My point was that given the model name without the i3/i5/i7 you can still look up the exact model. When I search for Intel ark 13900k" it gives me the right page and I can see that it's classified as i9.

Said differently, no Intel processors differ only in the i3/i5/i7 classification. It is completely redundant in identifying a processor.

Conversely when somebody tells me "I have an i7" they aren't telling me much. It could be anything from a quad-core Nehalem from 2008 to a very recent 16-core from the 13th gen. Some mobile i7 branded chips were only dual-core!

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Totally agree. But thinking of Grandma Jones buying a computer, an i7 being better than an i5 is all that matters, not necessarily the generation of said chip. *We* know there are several versions, and how to research them. But we're not Grandma Jones standing in a Best Buy store. But it is not my intention to debate, just to offer a more simplistic, consumer oriented, opinion of the chip nomenclatures.

Apr 12, 2023
I don’t think so. Intel Macs chip names didn’t make “heads spin”, and it wasn’t hard to understand, if anything, easier. As the number goes up, the more “pro” it is.

The differences of Pro, Max, and Ultra isn’t inherently known, meaning “Pro” doesn’t necessarily mean less pro or powerful than “Max”.

If it is compared to the iPhone, “Max” has more to do with size. And then there is the AW Ultra, which is a mix.

If anything, thus would be more confusing to “regular customers”, than just a scale if rising numbers.
Totally off topic, but nice MR2.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Apple’s branding has been pretty bad as of late, Apple TV 4K, Apple TV app, and Apple TV+ being some of the worst examples.

I wished Apple would have adopted a similar branding for the Mac chips as Intel did for their i-chips. Pro is overused and I think the Max and Ultra sounds a little silly, like a child came up with it. Max is especially confusing in verbal conversation, as it sounds just like “Macs”.

Using something like M* with “*” as a numeric character, starting at “1” for the base, entry level chip, going up as the performance change. It can be followed by the generation of M-chip, just like the i-chips.

M1 = M1 Gen 1
M1 Pro = M3 Gen 1
M2 Max = M5 Gen 2
M3 Ultra = M7 Gen 3
M4 Extreme = M9 Gen 4

I would prefer to just go by year released. M-core (2023), M-core Plus (2022), etc. This way it gets less silly when the numbers start to get big.

It's still relatively fine with M-series just being up to 2. But, for example, I like to keep up with Apple news and even I forget what the latest iPhone or A-series number is.

Is the iPhone 13 the newest, or the 14? What came out last year? It's even more confusing the A-series. If I see some iPad on sale has the A15, I have zero context for how old or new that is. It would be much less confusing to just say iPhone Pro (2022) which has the A-core (2021); or iPhone (2020) has an A-core (2020).

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I would prefer to just go by year released. M-core (2023), M-core Plus (2022), etc. This way it gets less silly when the numbers start to get big.
I think I understand what you are saying, and could actually be on board with this. But, what do you mean by "core"?

As in core count?

Is the iPhone 13 the newest, or the 14? What came out last year? It's even more confusing the A-series. If I see some iPad on sale has the A15, I have zero context for how old or new that is. It would be much less confusing to just say iPhone Pro (2022) which has the A-core (2021); or iPhone (2020) has an A-core (2020).
Apple's naming convention has gotten pretty silly with many of their products, including their chip names, imo.

To be honest, I am not a diehard Apple News follower like I used to be, with the exception of the Macs and Apple TVs. But, with the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch, even though I own all three, with many iPhones and iPads over the years, I don't really keep up with the latest specs and news.

I have an iPhone 13 Mini and the other day, I couldn't remember the A-chip that was in it. My initial thought was the A13, but I knew that wasn't right as I remembered the iPhone name and chip version number did not match. But, I couldn't remember if it was the A14 or A15 and had to look it up.

I guess the naming doesn't really matter, but being a once Apple super fan, and having trouble keeping up with it, I am sure the non-techies have no idea.

Totally off topic, but nice MR2.
Thanks, I love it.

The SW20 is so beautiful, so fun to drive. They really don't make them like that anymore.

Apr 12, 2023
I think I understand what you are saying, and could actually be on board with this. But, what do you mean by "core"?

As in core count?

Apple's naming convention has gotten pretty silly with many of their products, including their chip names, imo.

To be honest, I am not a diehard Apple News follower like I used to be, with the exception of the Macs and Apple TVs. But, with the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch, even though I own all three, with many iPhones and iPads over the years, I don't really keep up with the latest specs and news.

I have an iPhone 13 Mini and the other day, I couldn't remember the A-chip that was in it. My initial thought was the A13, but I knew that wasn't right as I remembered the iPhone name and chip version number did not match. But, I couldn't remember if it was the A14 or A15 and had to look it up.

I guess the naming doesn't really matter, but being a once Apple super fan, and having trouble keeping up with it, I am sure the non-techies have no idea.

Thanks, I love it.

The SW20 is so beautiful, so fun to drive. They really don't make them like that anymore.
We had my friends turbo in the 11's in the early 2000s. Loved beating up on charged mustangs in it. ha ha.

TheOtherAndy

macrumors member
May 20, 2018
Outside Milwaukee, WI
Intel is rebranding their processors again?!? The transition to "i" processors was already confusing enough back in 2009 I guess. Then, we had a new naming scheme in 2019 or so, with the introduction of the letter "g" in the middle of numbers to indicate the video card, which made things even more confusing. In 2022, Intel announced it would merge the "Pentium" and "Celeron" lines to be just one. And now this. Can't Intel marketing be more consistent?
They are an American company, so the answer is a resounding "No". American companies are allergic to consistent branding. Just look at the car industry:

• VW
    • Jetta (1979 - current)
  • Toyota
    • Corolla (1966 - current)
  • Chevrolet:
    • Chevette (1976 - 1987)
    • Corsica (1987 - 1996)
    • Cavalier (1982 - 2005) 😮 a decent, consistent brand name! But, wait for it...
    • Cobalt (2005 - 2010)
    • Cruze (2008 - 2020)
    • literally nothing
I'm even cutting out a whole slew of Chevys that don't fall into the subcompact/compact 4-door sedan category. If I threw in 2 door coupes you'd have crap like the Vega and Monza, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting.

(also, what even was the point of the Corsica? Why did that car exist?)

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
They are an American company, so the answer is a resounding "No". American companies are allergic to consistent branding. Just look at the car industry:

• VW
    • Jetta (1979 - current)
  • Toyota
    • Corolla (1966 - current)
  • Chevrolet:
    • Chevette (1976 - 1987)
    • Corsica (1987 - 1996)
    • Cavalier (1982 - 2005) 😮 a decent, consistent brand name! But, wait for it...
    • Cobalt (2005 - 2010)
    • Cruze (2008 - 2020)
    • literally nothing
I'm even cutting out a whole slew of Chevys that don't fall into the subcompact/compact 4-door sedan category. If I threw in 2 door coupes you'd have crap like the Vega and Monza, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting.

(also, what even was the point of the Corsica? Why did that car exist?)
Don't be dissing the corsica.... F*** I had that car driving around The Netherlands (yes you heard it right).

I'm going to assume you know VW is german and the jetta was there for a long time and the toyota...COME ON MAN most Americans have no idea how to pronounce that and think sushi is a Californian thing. (no I don't care about the licence plates since those cars are long long gone to a place far far away).

P5190270.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.