Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intel Or Apple? What would you choose if you were buying a new Mac now?

• Intel

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Apple

Votes: 146 88.0%

• Total voters

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Just looking to put some numbers as to what people are going to choose now - not a year out. Feel free to leave comments

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Intel 5k iMac is enticing due to the ability to boot camp windows for gaming. The new 2020 iMac is quite capable for that.

For a laptop or Mac mini? Apple Silicon for sure.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
As ARM is the future of the Mac. Given that I don't need x86 for anything I do on a laptop. Nor do I need the expandability of higher end models. If I was in the market. I'd buy an Apple Silicon Mac.

Reactions: wyrdness

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Easy choice.

If one of the ARM systems meets your needs, buy it.

If they don’t, and you don’t have to buy a computer today, then wait.

Otherwise, if the new systems don’t meet your needs and you must buy something today, then buy Intel. Ideally used or refurbished, so your out of pocket is less when you eventually transition.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I bought a new 2020 27" iMac a few months ago. I wanted something that I could use until the ARM transition is over that would be powerful enough that I would not feel an immediate need to upgrade.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Don’t need virtualization
don’t need windows
main use
itunes server/tv/music etc now that iTunes gone. - apple and ported
fcp x - Apple and ported
iflicks - not to sure
handbrake - beta universal app out so expect not to long before available on Apple silicon.

whilst waiting my mm2018 and iMac 2019 equiv hack will keep me going till confirmed all software ported.

however if buying today would def go with Apple silicon boxes.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Buying a new computer right now? Intel.
Planned future Mac purchase? 100% Apple.

I’m very excited to see see their desktop-class chipset for an iMac, though the GPU story makes me anxious.

Reactions: sputnikBA

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Intel, grudgingly.

The lack of dual-monitor support is a show stopper on the M1-based MacBook.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I chose Intel. I need virtualization, four ports, the ability to use 2-3 externals, and I use some software that will never be updated for native AS (and Rosetta is not an acceptable long-term solution). I also wanted major graphics performance, dislike Big Sur, dislike buying when the OS is so new, and I am skeptical of first generation products even though I am excited about AS overall.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
We don't have any professional reviews to run the numbers to see what performance actually is. The M1 could be all smoke and mirrors as all we've got right now are a bunch of marketing slides with zero details and a couple of runs from Geekbench 5. To choose requires real data (pro reviews) to make informed decisions.

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
US
Have an M1 Air on order to replace the '18 Intel Air couch driver to gauge the M1 experience. The Mother ship to all things iOS Mini/eGPU and BC Windows will continue its current roll. The home theater Mini will be replaced when the M1 Minis show up on the refurb store. I will be so glad to get rid of the painfully slow spinning rust hard drive. My current plan.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
IF I were in the market for an entry level system, the choice would be Apple.
My existing computers should last me for a few years ...

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Already ordered the new Air.

Apple Silicon looks like the way forward...

...and I get rid of the $%$&%# touch bar.
Funny how you think you're getting over by buying the AIR. It's not like you're getting equally as great of a computer against the M1 MBP with a TouchBar. Wait until your AIR throttles like crazy due to no fan. Enjoy. ?

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Funny how you think you're getting over by buying the AIR. It's not like you're getting equally as great of a computer against the M1 MBP with a TouchBar. Wait until your AIR throttles like crazy due to no fan. Enjoy. ?
Throttle doing what? They said that about the 12” rMB, never experienced it. We all don’t use our computers for the same tasks.

lanceh5

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
Just looking to put some numbers as to what people are going to choose now - not a year out. Feel free to leave comments
I ordered an 13" Intel Macbook Air two week ago, i7, more memory and 1TB SSD. It should be delivered Nov 16. Slow process times, it shipped from China. I have some software that only runs on Intel and not sure if it would run on the new Macs. Apple said that they would support Intel Mac's for "years to come".

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I decided I’m going with an M1 MacBook Pro, this will be coming from a Early 2015 13 inch MacBook Pro. My last job I supported Windows heavily, but no longer doing that, rarely need to have or use Windows. Also, have a Surface Pro 3 even if I do need to and its not like the 2015 MBP is going anywhere. But I do need something so I can ensure better harmony with my other Apple devices. Originally planned on doing this in 2023, but I can’t wait anymore.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Apple said that they would support Intel Mac's for "years to come".
"Support" is kind of murky, though. The first intel Macs ran 10.4.4, but by 10.6, PPC Macs were left out in the cold. macOS 11.2 will almost certainly be ASi-only. Which will not be that big a deal. Apple will continue to provide security updates for intel machines running 11.1.6, but any applications that require features that are only 11.2+ will not be intel-compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.