Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Very interesting, nice to know that they're not just making things smaller - sounds like the new technology will result in some real world benefits.

Supposedly faster CPUs at same power drain. While nice, I was hoping for some more efficiency from a 45nm. But... w/e. I'll just take the Merom since its already bloody fast. :D

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
This kinda stuff is always good to see and hear especially if you are the kinda person that likes it.

But personally i would prefer a chip that runs at about what these do today and give better battery life. I'm not saying faster is bad but when it comes to laptops i would just as soon sacrifice some speed and power for like 8 hours of battery life.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
This kinda stuff is always good to see and hear especially if you are the kinda person that likes it.

But personally i would prefer a chip that runs at about what these do today and give better battery life. I'm not saying faster is bad but when it comes to laptops i would just as soon sacrifice some speed and power for like 8 hours of battery life.
Completely agreed.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera

I agree with you. The processor is obviously only one piece of the system. Lower-power displays and hard drives need to be developed as well for this to come about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.