Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TarJac333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Hey guys, I have a Intel i5 MBP Early 2020.
Seeing the new M1s, I'm feeling kinda jealous.

However, I don't want to spend much as I've invested enough in the storage and RAM of my current MBP.

I did check Sell Your Mac and those sort of websites, but looking at the price they are naming me I'm feeling cheated.
Is there a way I can trade in my Intel MBP for a M1, but at a good rate??

Or should I wait for the M2?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I would wait because most Developers haven’t yet made pure M1 programs yet! Wait until Adobe, Microsoft Office, and many audio DAWs have yet to ported over! So wait for the M2 when it come onto later this year and then many developers will get their act together and support the chips!

TarJac333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
I would wait because most Developers haven’t yet made pure M1 programs yet! Wait until Adobe, Microsoft Office, and many audio DAWs have yet to ported over! So wait for the M2 when it come onto later this year and then many developers will get their act together and support the chips!
U have a point

Reactions: satcomer

TarJac333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
You may have good success with selling privately on Swappa. You can also try Macmeanoffer, which has fair buy pricing, compared to Apple etc.
Hmm... I will check. I had checked MacMeAnOffer, but I'm not getting good deals.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Microsoft Office is already native on Apple Silicon and many other apps are too. Most apps that aren’t native work just fine through emulation.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Yeah. was going to the same as @chrfr - Office is M1 native, and things like Adobe apps work seamlessly with Rosetta.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic

However, I don't want to spend much as I've invested enough in the storage and RAM of my current MBP.

I did check Sell Your Mac and those sort of websites, but looking at the price they are naming me I'm feeling cheated.
Is there a way I can trade in my Intel MBP for a M1, but at a good rate??

Or should I wait for the M2?
The M1s are nice, but they're still a first gen product. There are Bluetooth issues, some software has minor compatibility issues, there's still the old design, no x86 virtualization, no Boot Camp.
My advice is: if there's nothing wrong with your current machine and you don't need more power, keep it.

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020

Will it be more important for you to:
  • Get as much as possible for your Intel MBP? If so, most likely the offered prices will go down over time.
  • Get as much out of the MBP given how much you invested and/or the Intel MBP is meeting your needs? If so, hang on to it. Sure the price you can get when you eventually sell / trade it in will drop, but in the meantime you will get more out the Intel MBP. And you can wait until the Mac you really want is released.

TarJac333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
The M1s are nice, but they're still a first gen product. There are Bluetooth issues, some software has minor compatibility issues, there's still the old design, no x86 virtualization, no Boot Camp.
My advice is: if there's nothing wrong with your current machine and you don't need more power, keep it.
Ye

TarJac333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Will it be more important for you to:
  • Get as much as possible for your Intel MBP? If so, most likely the offered prices will go down over time.
  • Get as much out of the MBP given how much you invested and/or the Intel MBP is meeting your needs? If so, hang on to it. Sure the price you can get when you eventually sell / trade it in will drop, but in the meantime you will get more out the Intel MBP. And you can wait until the Mac you really want is released.
Well, I kinda get annoyed with the fan coming on at random times.

Also, I use Teams and Blender at the same time.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.