Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
How long would a new iBook last? Are Pentium M's (future for iBook) a lot better than the 1.33 Ghz G4s? How are they better? How long would it take for a complete transition( no bugs and all apps on Intel)? I ask these questions because I will NEED my own laptop in around 2009, 10, and 11 but I WANT one now. Should I wait a few years for the "better" Intels or buy one now and it will last me.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Buy one now seriously. If you play the waiting game, you'll never buy one because they're always something, bigger, faster, better around the corner. The iBooks are great right now for the price.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
My 12" iBook arrives today, and I feel that it is a much better deal than the 12" Powerbook right now. The Pentium M processor is great, but the iBook (for my tasks anyway) is more limited by video card right now than by processor, and I'd bet the Pentium M versions would be the same way. Pick one up soon, and you won't regret it.

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
If this one laptop absolutely must last you till 2011, then I would wait. But if you could sell the iBook you would get now to put towards a Rev. B or C intel, then do that.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
It doesnt have to last me that long, I just want to know if it will. Also, its not that Im playing the waiting game, I just want to know if I should wait for the Intel processors instead of PPC. The thing is I hear new Intel iBooks would have many problems as well as the new apps and if theyll still be buggy when I need one, I would buy one now bc theyre pretty much perfected w/ the PPC.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
rye9 said:
It doesnt have to last me that long, I just want to know if it will. Also, its not that Im playing the waiting game, I just want to know if I should wait for the Intel processors instead of PPC. The thing is I hear new Intel iBooks would have many problems as well as the new apps and if theyll still be buggy when I need one, I would buy one now bc theyre pretty much perfected w/ the PPC.

Apples age very well. I know a number of people using G3 iMacs, c. 1999, as their primary computers.

I also see original iBooks at coffeeshops quite frequently.

I plan on mine lasting me through college (in my first semester of freshman year).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.