Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
1. How do we get a right person?
2. Write ins don't count ever.

So now I ask you, what can we do? I would hope that scandals would kill a party and make them provide better candidates, but they still get away with it.

Why are you asking me for?

You're the one who's bothered "just the day after this news came out, and no one seems to care".

undies1993

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Why are you asking me for?

You're the one who's bothered "just the day after this news came out, and no one seems to care".

I was bothered by the fact that no one is talking about it anymore. If no one talks about it, that means everyone will forget about it just like ever other scandal. There is probably some horse that died from tropical storm Andrea that people care more about and will talk about longer.

EDIT:
People just don't care, that bothers me.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I was bothered by the fact that no one is talking about it anymore. If no one talks about it, that means everyone will forget about it just like ever other scandal. There is probably some horse that died from tropical storm Andrea that people care more about and will talk about longer.

EDIT:

It's not that people don't care, it more likely they have nothing they can do about it. The domestic spying is at its heart a partnership between the government and the telecom companies. For it to stop you need either one of those two to stop cooperating (ha-ha -- fat chance), or for everyone to simultaneously stop using services that make them venerable.

With the current ogilopy of the telecom industry, it isn't possible to change to a carrier who is not involved in this. All the big players are cooperating it appears (regardless of how they want to mince words in their public statements), and all the little guys are either reselling access to the big guys or their own network must connect to the big guys at some point along the line. So the only way to not have your phone conversations tapped is to pretty much stop using a phone -- and you can imagine how well that works in 21st century life.

The alternative is encryption. The issue there is mail clients, etc are not made with encryption built-in, and getting it working requires both you and your recipient be set up to send/receive encrypted mail. I can tell you from professional experience most people have trouble using their email program to send plain text mail. Someone on Slashdot pointed out that Google has the resources to employ encryption in its email system in a way that would be quite transparent to the user. But remember that Google's main purpose for even running an email system to start with is for them to be allowed to data-mine all your email for advertising reasons. They can't do that if it's encrypted before it enters their servers.

Also, for all the "Steve wouldn't have let this happen" remarks you see on Macrumors threads, did you see how late Apple joined the PRISM program? Did you notice it wasn't until after Job's death? ;)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Why would Apple do this.. ?

I would actually also ague in the privacy space here, this one yet another reason not to use real info ..... in case it does go "under-the radar"

Weather true, or not, i don't care, since my data provided to Apple is not even real... It's all fake,,, I only add credit card and remove it after purchasing...

The only way to go.....

I just don't get why people favour connivence vs security..... Then scream ot in terror, when other can have access to stuff, they didn't want to...

If you don't want suspicious people gaining access, don't make it public (on the internet) period.... :)

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
No wonder why the US Government was afraid of allowing Hawei into the US market ... they know all about backdoors and illegal collection of information! What hypocrisy...

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
if a massive haystack of our data is being collected

then why doesn't everybody run random traffic consumption programs, apps, widgets?

that would skew the stolen data such that just a few percent of it is junk, and it wouldn't be that easy to say which few percent is junk. It would give us some plausible deniability back. (eg. "I didn't visit jailbrea|<.me last tuesday on my iPhone 7, it could have been my random traffic algorithm?")

of course we'd all need a plethora of random traffic algorithms, just using a single source of random browsing such as TrackMeNot would be asking for trouble, as the NSA are wonderfully professional in everything they do, and several years ahead in their planning. I suppose you don't mind paying for all of this?!

So, please Write Your Own apple script, iPhone, OSX 'fake traffic generators' - (from the timing of Apple's data-backdoor - it seems to be something that Steve would have approved of?)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

EDIT:

Not sure what you mean. It's still the top story on every news page and on every cable news show. It's clogged my Twitter and RSS feeds too. We've known these new details for a few days and we already know more will come out and some of the initial information was wrong. This isn't going away and is still playing out.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The whistleblower, Edward Snowden, just 29, speaks...

In a note accompanying the first set of documents he provided, he wrote: "I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions," but "I will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon and irresistible executive powers that rule the world that I love are revealed even for an instant."

Despite his determination to be publicly unveiled, he repeatedly insisted that he wants to avoid the media spotlight. "I don't want public attention because I don't want the story to be about me. I want it to be about what the US government is doing."

He does not fear the consequences of going public, he said, only that doing so will distract attention from the issues raised by his disclosures. "I know the media likes to personalise political debates, and I know the government will demonise me."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance

Also, in another short piece, he answers some questions:

Q: Why did you decide to become a whistleblower?

A: "The NSA has built an infrastructure that allows it to intercept almost everything. With this capability, the vast majority of human communications are automatically ingested without targeting. If I wanted to see your emails or your wife's phone, all I have to do is use intercepts. I can get your emails, passwords, phone records, credit cards.

"I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things … I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded. That is not something I am willing to support or live under."

Q: But isn't there a need for surveillance to try to reduce the chances of terrorist attacks such as Boston?

A: "We have to decide why terrorism is a new threat. There has always been terrorism. Boston was a criminal act. It was not about surveillance but good, old-fashioned police work. The police are very good at what they do."

Q: Do you see yourself as another Bradley Manning?

A: "Manning was a classic whistleblower. He was inspired by the public good."

Q: Do you think what you have done is a crime?

A: "We have seen enough criminality on the part of government. It is hypocritical to make this allegation against me. They have narrowed the public sphere of influence."

Q: What do you think is going to happen to you?

A: "Nothing good."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/nsa-whistleblower-edward-snowden-why

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World

Meanwhile, a related story is developing...

U.S. intelligence officials say the National Security Agency has requested a criminal probe into the leak of highly classified information about a secret surveillance program it has run.

The scope of the investigation requested by the super-secret NSA remains unclear, but a spokesman for National Intelligence Director James Clapper said a "crimes report has been filed."

Source: Voice of America

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
"I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things … I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded. That is not something I am willing to support or live under."

Ironic that we're increasingly volunteering to record our thoughts, feelings, actions, relationships, allegiances, and affiliations via Facebook, twitter, Mac Rumors, et al.

Last edited:

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I'm so happy to hear that carte blanche access to user data only applies to we Apple customers outside the United States. Did anybody check if the FBI has similar access for locals?

It is of course the principle, that matters - shouldn't be doing this to anybody, US citizen or not.

As access to data is infinitely easier now, it's even MORE important that due process and transparency applies - suspicion, warrant, then access to data. Oversight is MORE important now, not less important.

Law enforcement is forever bleating 'modern communications make it harder and we need more power', when the fact is, it makes it infinitely easier, but politicians are so ignorant of technology, and the general public ignorant and frightened -- unethical powers are granted without question.

We need more tech savvy politicians. Not staffers, politicians. Silicon Valley, step up. And not those weasels that trade our data for immunity from prosecution for their company for handing it over, either. That's what tech lobbyists do - trade data for immunity. Why do you think Google put a former CEO on the job?

Thanks to MacRumors and the media for airing this particular dirty laundry. Public pressure seems to be the only way to get politicians to do the right thing.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Why would Apple do this.. ?

I would actually also ague in the privacy space here, this one yet another reason not to use real info ..... in case it does go "under-the radar"

Weather true, or not, i don't care, since my data provided to Apple is not even real... It's all fake,,, I only add credit card and remove it after purchasing...

The only way to go.....

I just don't get why people favor connivence vs security..... Then scream ot in terror, when other can have access to stuff, they didn't want to...

If you don't want suspicious people gaining access, don't make it public (on the internet) period.... :)

Your CC is stored in a database even if you take it out after using it. When you use your CC the data about the card is sent to a bank which stores the info, and waits for it to be confirmed. If you think the bank is going to erase the data after the total transaction is over, you are mistaken. The same with Apple, your info is stored for so x time.

If you want to buy and still unknown somewhat, use gift cards. But then again even those can be tracked. :/

Hugh

<EDIT> I've been reading on CNet that they are following the FBI request Google, Facebook and some others that I don't remember, to not to fight the fact they could get access to the records with out a court order. I don't know the status Congress vote status, I think it passed in the Senate. Food for thought. :/

Last edited:

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
Not surprising, Dianne Feinstein wants the guy prosecuted.

Prosecution Urged

Senator Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat, and Representative Mike Rogers of Michigan -- both leaders of Congress’ intelligence committees -- today defended the government’s data-collection programs and said the person responsible for leaking classified information should be prosecuted.

LINK

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
Here's a link to the YouTube video of the interview with Edward Snowden:

LINK

I think all of you should watch the interview in its entirety and decide for yourself whether this young man is a real American or if he's a criminal who should be prosecuted.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Here's a link to the YouTube video of the interview with Edward Snowden:

LINK

I think all of you should watch the interview in its entirety and decide for yourself whether this young man is a real American or if he's a criminal who should be prosecuted.

The video is fascinating. While it seems too early in this saga to say much of anything with certainty, many of history's heroes have worn grey hats...

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
The video is fascinating. While it seems too early in this saga to say much of anything with certainty, many of history's heroes have worn grey hats...

I think Edward himself is fascinating. He seems like a very bright and articulate young man that's at ease with himself. He seems like a real American with good moral character and a good understanding of the United States Constitution.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
That's not true. You can go and organise a public protest about it.

Pfft! What's that going to accomplish? If the government really cared what we thought this wouldn't be happening to start with.

Everyone will go protest until its time to go to work.
Then we'll all scatter back to our offices and fire up our email clients and pick up out phones as we're required to do to get work done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.