Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
What a wall of rambling text... TL;DR.

The title talks about M1 mini. The last paragraph refers to an "Apple laptop."

Let me know if it's actually worth reading.

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
You should really calm down, it's not helping you to solve your problems or to think rationally about what's going on.

I'm not sure that your self-diagnosis of a failing SSD is correct. You mention the problems began after a few hours of "file rearranging, deletion, and consolidation". Did you mess around inside the Library folder of your user account? While it's harder for users to accidentally use the Finder to damage macOS installations than it used to be, it's definitely possible to damage stuff inside a user account, and it's also possible for the effects to look something like what you're seeing.

But I also want to point out that if we assume your diagnosis of a failing SSD is correct, taking it out of one computer and putting it into another wouldn't be much help. I've tried to recover data from failing HDDs and SSDs before. They don't magically get more cooperative when you rehome them. This should be a lesson in why, if your data is important to you, you must always have a backup. There is no such thing as a perfect storage device which will never fail. Nor do they always fail gracefully enough to give you some time to get data off before they go completely unresponsive. Never assume that your data is safe if you have only one copy of it, on only one device. Never!

Also: "It won't stand up to day upon day of use, PERIOD, EVER, ESPECIALLY creative video and audio use. What false advertising." That's a crazy conclusion to draw from one isolated failure.

Hardware failures happen. If I buy a thousand rackmount servers designed to support 24/7/365 max load, and start doing just that thing with them, I'm going to see some failures in less than a year, just about guaranteed. Should I conclude that the hardware manufacturer was lying and go on an angry rant? If it's one or two machines, nope. There is no such thing as perfect hardware, it all has a chance at having manufacturing defects which get past the screening processes.

If your mini's SSD is really dying, you got unlucky. If there's some reason to believe they're dying at an extraordinarily high rate, get out the pitchforks, sure, but until then calm down.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
There is a reason you get warranty. Electronics can break.
It seems you have a defective machine so stop whining and get it fixed.
As for your mac mini not having the ports you want/need, you knew that when you bought it so grow up and stop complaining. A newbie account with a rant like this seems to point at a millennial with a displaced sense of entitlement. Stop crying and man up!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
This computer is a little sensitive. It won't stand up to day upon day of use, PERIOD, EVER, ESPECIALLY creative video and audio use. What false advertising. So basically I will get a new one, and will use it until it dies, and eventually I will be out of warranty.

Computers fail. In fact, around 5%-10% computers will likely fail in the first couple year of use. Your case of a broken computer is not any different from any other case of a broken computer and it definitely not a sign of widespread systematic issues. M1 machines have been out for over a year now. If there were a systematic problem we’d know it by now.

So - stay calm, get extended warranty and plan ahead financially. These things happen.

Antinet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Seattle
Computers fail. In fact, around 5%-10% computers will likely fail in the first couple year of use. Your case of a broken computer is not any different from any other case of a broken computer and it definitely not a sign of widespread systematic issues. M1 machines have been out for over a year now. If there were a systematic problem we’d know it by now.

So - stay calm, get extended warranty and plan ahead financially. These things happen.
No, no let's panic. PANIC!
Not sure where I said I was panicking. This is def the most condescending forum available on the net. I came here about ten years ago and got the identical blowback, but, hey, it was fun, and buh bye. Let's all compute!

Antinet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Seattle

Get an extended warranty four months in? Where do I do that?

Antinet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Seattle
You should really calm down, it's not helping you to solve your problems or to think rationally about what's going on.

I'm not sure that your self-diagnosis of a failing SSD is correct. You mention the problems began after a few hours of "file rearranging, deletion, and consolidation". Did you mess around inside the Library folder of your user account? While it's harder for users to accidentally use the Finder to damage macOS installations than it used to be, it's definitely possible to damage stuff inside a user account, and it's also possible for the effects to look something like what you're seeing.

But I also want to point out that if we assume your diagnosis of a failing SSD is correct, taking it out of one computer and putting it into another wouldn't be much help. I've tried to recover data from failing HDDs and SSDs before. They don't magically get more cooperative when you rehome them. This should be a lesson in why, if your data is important to you, you must always have a backup. There is no such thing as a perfect storage device which will never fail. Nor do they always fail gracefully enough to give you some time to get data off before they go completely unresponsive. Never assume that your data is safe if you have only one copy of it, on only one device. Never!

Also: "It won't stand up to day upon day of use, PERIOD, EVER, ESPECIALLY creative video and audio use. What false advertising." That's a crazy conclusion to draw from one isolated failure.

Hardware failures happen. If I buy a thousand rackmount servers designed to support 24/7/365 max load, and start doing just that thing with them, I'm going to see some failures in less than a year, just about guaranteed. Should I conclude that the hardware manufacturer was lying and go on an angry rant? If it's one or two machines, nope. There is no such thing as perfect hardware, it all has a chance at having manufacturing defects which get past the screening processes.

If your mini's SSD is really dying, you got unlucky. If there's some reason to believe they're dying at an extraordinarily high rate, get out the pitchforks, sure, but until then calm down.
I may be proven wrong in my initial assessment. It was a stunning few moments. I'm glad I could share and move on now from a bad time.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Not sure where I said I was panicking. This is def the most condescending forum available on the net. I came here about ten years ago and got the identical blowback, but, hey, it was fun, and buh bye. Let's all compute!

I have no idea whether you are panicking, but your post was completely over the top and not constructive in any way. As said before, computers fail. This is a reality of the industry. You can’t make far reaching conclusions about reliability or quality of a product just because your specific individual unit has developed a problem.

Get an extended warranty four months in? Where do I do that?

Wait, the computer is only four months old? Well, aren’t you covered by standard warranty then? Why all the drama.

Antinet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Seattle
Yes I am covered. There likely was too much drama. I thought the SSD was dying or had died, and conflated to some stories about large amounts of M1 SSDs going wrong, and thought I was screwed for good. We'll see how it goes, but prob should've let the boil roll longer before sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.