Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
Yes, absolutely! My goal with this project is to encourage people to shoot (and hopefully also share) regularly. Some people find they work better within a structure, so I am providing a framework of prompts. However, at the end of the day, you have to be happy with your images, so if you really don't resonate with a specific theme one week, then just photograph something that makes you happy. 🙂

I have 52 prompt slotted in for specific weeks, but also a list of 17 alternates (I'm trying to get to 26 alternates, so you could theoretically swap out half the assigned prompts for alternates) if something is particularly egregious to someone (I know there is one specific week people will object to). And if none of the themes are to your liking, then please just share one photo a week of your choice.

But at the same time, there is merit in stretching just a bit beyond your comfort level, in order to grow and learn new stuff, so I really hope people will be open-minded with what I've compiled. ❤️

Oh wow, you're really working on this! That is just great Molly, thank you for your commitment.

I already started yesterday....and failed. Had to run some errands and brought my camera, gave myself extra time to take a photo...of anything really. But the result was crap, viewing it at home on the big screen, and didn't bother to get out again. Which isn't good...fortunately it's not a P365 ;-)

Some weeks will turn out to be 'complicated' so I hope to be able to post something from 'the archive'. In the end, it's about photos. But in order to get better I will simply need to shoot...a lot!

Cheers,
Phil

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Oh wow, you're really working on this! That is just great Molly, thank you for your commitment.

I already started yesterday....and failed. Had to run some errands and brought my camera, gave myself extra time to take a photo...of anything really. But the result was crap, viewing it at home on the big screen, and didn't bother to get out again. Which isn't good...fortunately it's not a P365 ;-)

Some weeks will turn out to be 'complicated' so I hope to be able to post something from 'the archive'. In the end, it's about photos. But in order to get better I will simply need to shoot...a lot!

Cheers,
Phil

Actually I'm going to be pretty lenient with the way people approach this project, but I am going to insist on new photos. The goal of this is to get out one day a week with a camera or other photo taking device (aka a phone). Using an archive photo defeats the entire point of the project. 🙂 But you are welcome to continue to post archive photos for the POTD and weekly contest threads.

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
Actually I'm going to be pretty lenient with the way people approach this project, but I am going to insist on new photos. The goal of this is to get out one day a week with a camera or other photo taking device (aka a phone). Using an archive photo defeats the entire point of the project. 🙂 But you are welcome to continue to post archive photos for the POTD and weekly contest threads.
That's a valid and excellent point. Said differently: "What was I thinking?!"

• Love
Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
That's a valid and excellent point. Said differently: "What was I thinking?!"
Also, I'll point out you didn't fail if you didn't get a photo yesterday. It's only Tuesday today, you still have more days of the week to get your single photo. 🙂

Reactions: PhilBoogie

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
Also, I'll point out you didn't fail if you didn't get a photo yesterday. It's only Tuesday today, you still have more days of the week to get your single photo. 🙂

Oe, good point. I actually did make a photo that I liked....but took it with my iPhone, whilst wanting to become better with my DSLR I had with me. Oh well, posted in the iPhone14 thread.

But it's good that it'll be a weekly project instead of a daily one. I can feel the burden Clix Pix had...eventhough I'm on the other side on the pond, it was 13 years ago, and it's from a person I have never met 😃

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Absolutely the whole point of doing either a 365-Day Project or a 52-Week project is the commitment to stay the course the entire year and to shoot something new each and every day or each and every week, and that is how one becomes much more familiar with their camera and lenses and and what they can do with the gear. When I did the 52-Week project I shot more than once a week, not always every day, but often I did shoot daily, too (kind of a habit left over from the 365 project!) and I usually shot several images, sometimes several per day, depending upon the situation, my time, etc. I will say that it IS a lot easier for someone who is not busy with a lot of other obligations (work, school, volunteering with organizations, etc.) to do this kind of project! We do only have 24 hours in each day.....

One thing which is nice about our POTD thread here and our competitions is that we can use archive photos, which is really helpful when someone has a lot of archived files and not necessarily a lot of time right now to be shooting currently. When I first returned to the POTD thread after an absence of a few years I stuck my toe in the water with archived photos, while starting to shoot again, then gradually began shooting more and more and eventually was posting mostly fresh new images.

This brings up a question, though: Molly, what are your thoughts about cross-posting in both the 52-Week project and the POTD? My inclination would be to say a resounding NO to that and to post only the new images shot for the 52-Week project in the designated thread for that, and NOT to cross-post the same image(s) in the POTD. Actually, I'm not sure of what MR's policies are on cross-posting, anyway, and if they don't permit it, there's our answer.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Absolutely the whole point of doing either a 365-Day Project or a 52-Week project is the commitment to stay the course the entire year and to shoot something new each and every day or each and every week, and that is how one becomes much more familiar with their camera and lenses and and what they can do with the gear. When I did the 52-Week project I shot more than once a week, not always every day, but often I did shoot daily, too (kind of a habit left over from the 365 project!) and I usually shot several images, sometimes several per day, depending upon the situation, my time, etc. I will say that it IS a lot easier for someone who is not busy with a lot of other obligations (work, school, volunteering with organizations, etc.) to do this kind of project! We do only have 24 hours in each day.....

One thing which is nice about our POTD thread here and our competitions is that we can use archive photos, which is really helpful when someone has a lot of archived files and not necessarily a lot of time right now to be shooting currently. When I first returned to the POTD thread after an absence of a few years I stuck my toe in the water with archived photos, while starting to shoot again, then gradually began shooting more and more and eventually was posting mostly fresh new images.

This brings up a question, though: Molly, what are your thoughts about cross-posting in both the 52-Week project and the POTD? My inclination would be to say a resounding NO to that and to post only the new images shot for the 52-Week project in the designated thread for that, and NOT to cross-post the same image(s) in the POTD. Actually, I'm not sure of what MR's policies are on cross-posting, anyway, and if they don't permit it, there's our answer.

I don't care if people cross post as not everyone will post on both threads, and people already do with the photo association thread and the challenge thread to the POTD.

Reactions: OldMacs4Me

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Will probably be a somewhat sporadic participant. One suggestion would be to have the first few themes be B&W. This is an old school approach the intent being to get the photographer to build a solid foundation by learning to concentrate on shapes, contrast, lighting....

Anyways I think there has been enough interest expressed that @mollyc should figure it's a go. Be happy to help but probably best to have one captain at least at the start.

I see at least three things that participants can take away from this. Motivation to shoot fresh images. Improve skills. Stepping outside your comfort zone. I am sure there are lots more but those should be more than sufficient to assure good participation.

FWIW I favour cross posting. The idea is to get people using their cameras and improving their skills. If it brings fresh faces to other threads so much the better.

Last edited:
  • Love

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Ah, of course there is cross-posting done here at MR! Don't know what I was thinking...... Brain cells aren't fully awake yet. I guess I need more coffee! Although people usually don't post the same image at the same time on two separate threads; usually a competition entry or a Photo Association thread an image is posted when a theme happens to come along and someone has an image he or she may have already shared in the POTD some time ago, but it's usually not in the same week. It does happen occasionally, though.

I don't always look in on the Photo Association thread, but I do once in a while post in it when I spot something to which I can immediately contribute an image fished out of my archives. I do check in on the competition thread each time, though, and of course have contributed occasionally, sometimes something new, sometimes something from the archives. A good example of that would be the squirrel shot in this week's competition, which I posted in the POTD a couple of months ago. However, if I were shooting for our 52-Week project here, I would not post the same image in both the POTD and the project thread simultaneously. That's just me, though.....

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Ah, of course there is cross-posting done here at MR! Don't know what I was thinking...... Brain cells aren't fully awake yet. I guess I need more coffee! Although people usually don't post the same image at the same time on two separate threads; usually a competition entry or a Photo Association thread an image is posted when a theme happens to come along and someone has an image he or she may have already shared in the POTD some time ago, but it's usually not in the same week. It does happen occasionally, though.

I don't always look in on the Photo Association thread, but I do once in a while post in it when I spot something to which I can immediately contribute an image fished out of my archives. I do check in on the competition thread each time, though, and of course have contributed occasionally, sometimes something new, sometimes something from the archives. A good example of that would be the squirrel shot in this week's competition, which I posted in the POTD a couple of months ago. However, if I were shooting for our 52-Week project here, I would not post the same image in both the POTD and the project thread simultaneously. That's just me, though.....

Well given you'e stated that you are going to sit out this project, you won't have to worry about cross posting your own images. And I'm not about to police where others share their images.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Will probably be a somewhat sporadic participant. One suggestion would be to have the first few themes be B&W. This is an old school approach the intent being to get the photographer to build a solid foundation by learning to concentrate on shapes, contrast, lighting....

Anyways I think there has been enough interest expressed that @mollyc should figure it's a go. Be happy to help but probably best to have one captain at least at the start.

I see at least three things that participants can take away from this. Motivation to shoot fresh images. Improve skills. Stepping outside your comfort zone. I am sure there are lots more but those should be more than sufficient to assure good participation.

FWIW I favour cross posting. The idea is to get people using their cameras and improving their skills. If it brings fresh faces to other threads so much the better.
BW is slated for a week, but not at the beginning. I'm not here to teach people about photography, just to encourage them to shoot regularly. 🙂

cogi0490

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Germany
Great Idea @mollyc :D

I was also thinking of doing a project 52 in 2023 so that I hopefully improve my photography by doing it more regularly. Until now I was thinking of doing it alone, but then I saw this thread. Failing would be kind of harder in this community 🧐

Thank you a lot for sharing this and creating such a list!

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Great Idea @mollyc :D

I was also thinking of doing a project 52 in 2023 so that I hopefully improve my photography by doing it more regularly. Until now I was thinking of doing it alone, but then I saw this thread. Failing would be kind of harder in this community 🧐

Thank you a lot for sharing this and creating such a list!
There's really no such thing as a fail, sometimes life will get in the way and sometimes (perhaps often) a shot will not be what we expect. The latter is called a learning experience, not a fail. As long as you're enjoying yourself consider it a total success!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.