Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Saw it, and I think it is great Apple puts so much effort in these systems to make it work good.
Yep. They're taking the time to do it right, leaving it bland for a year & now reaping a reward beating Fitbit & Garmin & everyone else. Good job.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
11168E3D-498F-4BBF-B75C-172E4C98A67E.png
How do you get to to show more than average time slept. Doesn’t seem to be calculating anything (deep, rem, etc)

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
yes i don't see these various stages either, i thought it's because it's from Watch OS9?

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Just watched this as well. I was surprised that the Apple Watch was able to perform so well.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Ok. I have tested it a few nights now & it performs pretty great.

One criticism though, it won't track your sleep beyond your schedule. Last night it noticed that I struggled to get to sleep, which was true. And then I notice the graphic is kinda fall short to the right (yellow rectangle). It doesn't fill the whole area.
Last night I slept way beyond my alarm (5.30 AM), woke up at 7.40 AM. The watch didn't include this extra data even though it knows when you actually wake up (that's why there is a blank area).
sleep 1.jpg

So I checked the day before - I woke up at 4.30 AM that night, 1 hour before my alarm - and the graphic fills the whole area.
sleep 2.jpg

So any data beyond your sleep schedule will not be included & that means your 'Time Asleep' (including REM, Core, Deep) - in red circle in 1st photo - will be incorrect unlike the previous iOS which always counted it & was correct.

I work from home 😅 so it's super easy to adjust wake up alarm to compensate for this. I suspect many people wouldn't be able to. Hope Apple fix this.

Last edited:

blw777

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2022
I have my schedule extended artificially for precisely this reason. I have a separate alarm that is what gets me up. The schedule isn't associated with an alarm. It's worked pretty well for me for the past couple of years.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
A warning to those who gets up before your wake up schedule.

Do not turn off Sleep on your watch!
You will lose sleep data.
sleep lost.jpg

Turn off Sleep on your iPhone. It will ask you to turn off alarm. Once you do that you're good.

tolili alert

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
I put do not disturb mode when I go to bed (night sleep or nap) just because I don’t want feel/hear notifications.

My sleep schedule is 00:00 to 08:00. But I work in different shifts, so that schedule is something totally random. For example, today I got up at 5 am.

With WatchOS 9 there’s only one change. Until now, the watch register the sleep without problems or alarms or anything lile so many people say…

Now, if I look my sleep data before the end (8 am in my case) of my random sleep schedule… only old data (time in bed and that) is shown. But a couple of minutes before end of that random schedule (8 am), the watch ask me if I am awake. I respond “yes” and voilá… all sleep stages are now detailed.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Now, if I look my sleep data before the end (8 am in my case) of my random sleep schedule… only old data (time in bed and that) is shown.
Like I said above, for now if you wake up early you have to turn off Sleep on iPhone, not on the watch. Guess this is a bug that Apple have to take care of.

Reactions: johnb300m

tolili alert

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
Like I said above, for now if you wake up early you have to turn off Sleep on iPhone, not on the watch. Guess this is a bug that Apple have to take care of.
I’ve never used sleep mode. I always use do not disturb mode.

Today I try to disabled do not disturb mode on the iPhone, but with this focus mode you have the same result. You don’t have sleep stages until the watch ask you if you are awake right before sleep schedule ends.

Maybe I’ll try to put a 00:00 to 05:00 sleep schedule and that’s fix it for me on that days that I wake at 5 am.

Whigu

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2022
yes i don't see these various stages either, i thought it's because it's from Watch OS9?
You have to add sleep schedule/plan or what it was were you tell watch that you should go to sleep at time x and wakeup at y and then you should get that data.

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Now I can finally stop wearing my Fitbit along with my Apple Watch. Until now Fitbit has been better at sleep tracking. I've been comparing the results of both for the past few days and they are nearly identical.

My only complaint is that I have to tell the Apple Watch when I'm sleeping while the Fitbit can automatically detect it (since 2015). My sleep schedule is unfortunately not consistent day to day so I can't set a schedule and instead have to manually turn the Sleep focus mode on and off.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
My only complaint is that I have to tell the Apple Watch when I'm sleeping while the Fitbit can automatically detect it (since 2015). My sleep schedule is unfortunately not consistent day to day so I can't set a schedule and instead have to manually turn the Sleep focus mode on and off.
I really hope apple reserve this for watchOS10 update & not just leave it like this for years.

Reactions: _Spinn_

tolili alert

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
When you schedule sleep you already set sleep focus automatically, unless you check it off yourself.
I disabled that option.

As I said, I don’t have a regular schedule because some days I have to wake at 5am and other days I can wake up at 8-9am. Some days I go to bed at 10pm and some days at 1am.

So not an option for me to have a sleep schedule. But it’s ok for me, not a problem.

I just enable do not disturb mode when I want stop receiving notifications at night and disable that mode when I wake up.

tolili alert

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
And just to be clear…

One thing is that you enable do not disturb mode and other thing is that mean the watch doesn’t register sleep automatically…

I can enable now do not disturb mode and until the watch doesn’t detect that I’m sleeping… there’s no be sleep data at all… And I can wake up and don’t disable do not disturb mode… the sleep record will be over when I get up.

I mean… This is very very basic. But seems that many people don’t understand it very well.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
If you have different sleep schedules why not disable sleep schedule and just activate sleep mode on the watch and disable it when you wake up?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Thing is .. tracking sleep & sleep stages are only parts of sleep health.
To get better health from sleep. To get better sleep - which is Apple goal - you also need to have a sleep habit. This is what Apple aims for. They didn’t want to give you sleep data just for the sake of it but want you to have a whole package, both data & sleep habit, hence a sleep schedule.

Anyone who can’t have sleep schedule there’s always AutoSleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.