Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Isn't that what QA Teams are for?
Devs are expected to do some testing too. Otherwise it’s a constant back and forth between dev and QA. And a game full regression ( new game/ port) test is a lot more complex than most software.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
While “macOS compatible” may technically be true, it might mean they’re compatible with Mojave - but no longer run on Catalina and later because there are no 64Bit binaries.
It’s frustrating, but for the devs if their game came out for Mojave, player numbers may not justify making the effort to offer a 64Bit version.

Pretty much this. Why change it over to 64-bit for the 15 Mac gamers there?

And why does Apple continue to screw the pooch here? They missed the gaming boat long ago (we're talking original Halo here).

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020

And why does Apple continue to screw the pooch here? They missed the gaming boat long ago (we're talking original Halo here).

It’s interesting you mention Halo.
I recently watched a couple of old Steve Jobs keynotes, the Halo ones among them.
Somewhere between 2000 and 2003 games went from being something they were extremely excited about to something that… wasn’t present anymore, despite partnerships with nVidia.
Around 2000 they even showed Quake 3 live on stage and had fricking John Carmack there to deliver a speech on how great a gaming platform the Mac was!

Reactions: MysticCow

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

There is no way of knowing how Halo would have turned out if it remained a Mac exclusive. It could have been a one and done title.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
There is no way of knowing how Halo would have turned out if it remained a Mac exclusive. It could have been a one and done title.

You may know about the original Mac version of Halo (the multiplayer demo). The servers were still working for me back right before this past Xmas.

Good times!

• Wow
Reactions: MysticCow

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009

"PC Gaming is dying"
Said who?
Anyway, note that the numbers concern revenue, not number of purchases (which admittedly would be really tricky - mouse mats, gaming chairs, monitors, headsets, carpets, soda and so on sort under accessories). It gets even thornier when you consider mining. Was the product bought for gaming or mining?

The impression I’ve gotten when trying to make sense of the data is that fewer people pay more. But good quantification of that is really difficult.

There is no question that it is, and will remain for a good long time, a profitable gaming segment. OTOH there is little doubt that runaway pricing is affecting the market.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017

"PC Gaming is dying"
It’ll return to a niche if components keep creeping up in price.

At a glance I can’t find a link to the original paper, so I don’t have answers to a few of my questions:

1. Does this take into account the crypto mining boom? The sales of components and increasing msrps along with supply chain issues compounded the cost of parts. Does the final number include this?

2. Some of the growth appears to be based on a growing amount of people spending more money (i.e. unit sales) (microphones and laptops), but is it also based on higher prices of certain components?

3. The information seems to not include sales of pc games themselves, which I would argue is a predictor of future unit sales.

And in the article it directly says a 4% decline is projected, given economic headwinds and insane growth the past two years. Which seems about right.

The decline may continue though, if the higher prices stick, which I believe they will. Cost-conscious consumers would see more value in a console and less powerful laptop over a powerful desktop.

Maybe the 10’s were a golden age of cheap pc gaming, and we’re coming out of it.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
If the devs are big enough, they will likely negotiate the cut with Apple. Wasn’t that a big issue when it was discovered that Netflix got special treatment?
I dont think there are any game devs big enough to negotiate a less than 30% cut from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.