Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
do you guys have this annoying little grievance w/ your desktop icons?

bare with me, its not the easiest thing to articulate.

PictureA.jpg

for a long time the grid arrangement that icons fall into on the desktop was tight and rigid...all new icons would show up in clean columns (like the two columns on the right that i clean up manually)...but for a while now, i have noticed that my icons do no like to be side by side...but skip columns, placing themselves in every other column. i attach an image to better illustrate what i am blabbing about.

can this be fixed?

this mess on my desktop is only temporary...research :rolleyes:

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Yeah. Most likely what's happening is as the icons are building up, they're being placed sliiiiightly out of line with the others (most likely by you moving them around or accidentally dragging them a bit), and therefore cut off the necessary space for a full column.

...shoot, this is hard to articulate...

basically, the columns do not have alot of space for you to mess around in, and when you try to place an icon within a column, it's more than likely not going to be in line. Then it will be taking up two columns, and the icon next to it gets bumped over. To solve it? I don't know... get better at placing icons? Is there a function to snap all icons to the grid?

..hope this at least helps you understand the situation...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.