Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
So I am amaze at the amount of news Apple is getting with this whole battery is slowing down the phone issue. I agree, it’s not totally right and Apple should of been more transparent of the whole issue. But I can also see why they did it.

To me, I find it interesting how after two years or so, Android systems seems to run extremely slow on Android phones. I’ve been an android user in the past and they always slowed down after a few years...yet no one complains to the degree of this Apple situation. I mean, Apple has a legitimate reason for this but I don’t see a reason for slowing Android down.

I mean call me an iSheep or whatever but I prefer battery life over performance and this incident will not prevent me from buying another iPhone in the future.

Thoughts?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I am amaze at the amount of news Apple is getting with this whole battery is slowing down the phone issue.

Actually, it only seems the media is talking about the battery related issue. I have talked to a number of tech users and nobody's even mentioned this whole debacle with the iPhone performance concern. I'm not saying it's not worth discussing, but I think the media will make this a bigger issue than the average consumer well.

Reactions: Maclver

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
We’ve no idea if android phones do the same. If they don’t, how do they manage the battery voltage issues?

I wouldn't be surprised Apple isn't the only one.

The thing is Android phones are usually built to have a shorter life span (and their prices reflect that) than iPhones therefore their phones and batteries wear out around the same time.

If I decide to switch to Android I will probably go for a low or mid tier phone and throw it away after 1 or 2 years max.

Reactions: praterkeith

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
We’ve no idea if android phones do the same. If they don’t, how do they manage the battery voltage issues?
My oldest Android phones, a Nexus 4, Note 4 and a Note Edge are still working today with the original batteries. The problems is on the Note 4 and Note Edge, when the battery level gets down to about 15%, the phone just shuts off. The batteries are just too old and a new battery would fix the problem. I just don't want to pay $20 for a new battery for those old phones.

My old Note 5 which has no removable battery does not shut down when the battery gets low. It will keep running till the battery simply runs down.

I have three S7 Edge phones. One is a launch day phone so it is almost two years old. It doesn't shut down either and will run until the battery is drained as well. The other two were bought earlier this year.

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
From my experience I think the android system itself slows down overtime on older phones.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Had my android phone and no slow down here for the past 2 years.... battery life is not as good as day one but that normal. But no slow down

Reactions: iSilas

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
All the notch threads have now been replaced by all these battery threads :rolleyes:

Even if the notch or throttlegate even existed to be an issue for some, there are those who will find anything wrong with Apple because they don't like the path or course they have taken today from the company that used to be 10 years ago. That's why I never read too deep into discussions on Macrumors about certain topics.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
To me, I find it interesting how after two years or so, Android systems seems to run extremely slow on Android phones. I’ve been an android user in the past and they always slowed down after a few years...yet no one complains to the degree of this Apple situation. I mean, Apple has a legitimate reason for this but I don’t see a reason for slowing Android down.

At First, why do you compare sonething that was years ago with present??

Secondly, i quess you are talking about a time before TRIM came out (with android 4.3) and fixed the slowing-issue without needing a user to te-install the os, of course the memory modules also needed to support it. If your android became slower, then you reinistalled os and the problem was solved. Trim fixed this, and never needed to reinstall the os again.

No one didnt ”complain” because there was a simple fix by a user reinstalling the os, using an app called LagFix or so and everyone knew that it was caused lacking the trim.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
We have a number of battery threads, please use one of those to ask your question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.