Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Is anybody else having issues with their new iPhone 12 and CarPlay? I have a 12 Mini, connecting to a Sony headunit via a cable and frequently CarPlay software doesn't start. The phone is charging off the cable so is recognised, but I might have to connect/disconnect a few times before it kicks-in.

Occasionally I'll get a message saying that the "usb accessory is not supported" on the had unit, but generally just get nothing.

I guess it could obviously be the version of iOS causing the issue, but its a strange one I've not seen before in many years of CarPlay with different phones.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
If you haven't already done so, try it with another cable, and see if you still have the same issue.

jasonht

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2020
i have the exact same issue with iphone 12 pro max. i will try a different cable for sanity and report back, but i keep having to take my phone out and in about 3 times before carplay works properly. it worked fine on my old iPhone 8 plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.