Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

engbren

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
My iPhone 13 was replaced by Apple around 6 months ago. It still has 100% battery health so is essentially a new phone. However, I am intermittently getting weird freezes / crashes. These issues started with the upgrade to iOS17 but have persisted into 17.1.1. The most affected apps are the stock camera app and Safari. When I launch the camera, it frequently (but not always) freezes for a few seconds with the screen totally non-responsive. Sometimes this occurs with the camera controls rendered, sometimes they are not rendered but the camera "view finder" image is showing. I have missed many spur of the moment type shots recently that I would ordinarily have been able to capture because I've had to wait for the camera app to be responsive.
In Safari, I have a similar issue where sometimes I switch to Safari and I see a totally black screen for around 2-3 seconds, no url bar, no preview image, just black screen until the page reloads. Anyone else seeing these issues?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
My iPhone 13 was replaced by Apple around 6 months ago. It still has 100% battery health so is essentially a new phone. However, I am intermittently getting weird freezes / crashes. These issues started with the upgrade to iOS17 but have persisted into 17.1.1. The most affected apps are the stock camera app and Safari. When I launch the camera, it frequently (but not always) freezes for a few seconds with the screen totally non-responsive. Sometimes this occurs with the camera controls rendered, sometimes they are not rendered but the camera "view finder" image is showing. I have missed many spur of the moment type shots recently that I would ordinarily have been able to capture because I've had to wait for the camera app to be responsive.
In Safari, I have a similar issue where sometimes I switch to Safari and I see a totally black screen for around 2-3 seconds, no url bar, no preview image, just black screen until the page reloads. Anyone else seeing these issues?
I don't run the regular iPhone 13 but the 13pro and I haven't noticed any of these issues that you mention.
I also have a few of my users at work running 17.1.1 using a regular iPhone 13, I think its around 5 and haven't heard any reports from them.
Only thing i've heard that's negative is what seems to be a bug related to automatic updates. Currently have a case with MS looking into it.

engbren

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
I don't run the regular iPhone 13 but the 13pro and I haven't noticed any of these issues that you mention.
I also have a few of my users at work running 17.1.1 using a regular iPhone 13, I think its around 5 and haven't heard any reports from them.
Only thing i've heard that's negative is what seems to be a bug related to automatic updates. Currently have a case with MS looking into it.
Thanks Reverend Bunny - I do have a profile installed on the phone for my corporate email. However, I have no issues with updating but we are not using MS MDM solution. It's almost like I need a task manager / activity monitor to see what is consuming the RAM on my phone.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Thanks Reverend Bunny - I do have a profile installed on the phone for my corporate email. However, I have no issues with updating but we are not using MS MDM solution. It's almost like I need a task manager / activity monitor to see what is consuming the RAM on my phone.
I'm not sure if this is still applicable in iOS 17 but might be worth a try just to see if there is any difference.
When you experience lag, kill the app, try a "clear ram" and see if it improves things.

Used to do this on my older devices that had physical homebutton but didn't find its needed anymore since todays phones has enough ram and CPU (for my needs) and it don't really experience any lag.
But, from a troubleshooting perspective it might be useful.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I'm not sure if this is still applicable in iOS 17 but might be worth a try just to see if there is any difference.
When you experience lag, kill the app, try a "clear ram" and see if it improves things.

Used to do this on my older devices that had physical homebutton but didn't find its needed anymore since todays phones has enough ram and CPU (for my needs) and it don't really experience any lag.
But, from a troubleshooting perspective it might be useful.

That's just a reboot, or am I reading the article wrong? 🧐

There's no reason to switch AssistiveTouch on to do a reboot.

engbren

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
I'd be trying a full factory reset. If that fails, take it back to Apple.
Unfortunately my phone was repaired and then replaced under warranty due to a different issue - the first time was a Rear System repair which is essentially a new main board. The second was an outright replacement device when the prior issue persisted (dropping cellular connection and once dropped it stayed dropped until reset or airplane mode toggled). The amount of times I reset my phone due to troubleshooting the cellular issue I had with the original phone, setting up loan phones and setting up replacements (I was advised by Apple to setup as a new device rather than restore from backup) seems to have triggered locking processes for many of my online accounts. I will keep a full factory reset as an option of last resort.

engbren

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
I tried clearing the ram and in the past couple of days haven't had the Safari / black screen issue reoccur. In fact the phone feels much faster overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.