Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Setup:
  • MBP 14" M1 Max 2021, macOS Monterey and now Ventura
  • Caldigit TS4 with NEC 4K display connected via display port
  • Apple latest wireless keyboard and trackpad
  • used in clamshell mode (lift lid to power up, shut lid after seeing boot up apple logo, wait for cal digit and display lights to go on)

Problem:
  • I power up 2 or 3 times a day. The login page takes longer than my old 2015 Intel MBP to get up but I can cope with that. Needs keyboard presses to wake display which keeps going to sleep during the period between power up and login screen.
  • Getting the keyboard and trackpad connected and working also takes longer than my old 2015 Intel MBP setup. I can cope with that.
  • Intermittently - about 1/3 of the instances - the pointer is frozen. Rarely (1/20) the pointer jumps between 2 or 3 points on the display and does not move smoothly. This is the problem I want to solve.

Temporary Fix:
  • The temporary resolution is to use the keyboard (command-space) to fire up a terminal and restart the software bluetooth daemion with a sudo pkill bluetoothd. This obviously takes a few seconds to reconnect the keyboard, trackpad and bluetooth headphones. I don't want to be doing this roughly once a day.

Apple, as usual, are a pain to work with when the issue is intermittent and not reproducible in store. I have taken in my own keyboard and trackpad and really pressed hard for them to not just try out once because the issue is intermittent. It also takes me 2.5 hours to drive to the nearest Apple Store and they keep the laptop for a week which means I can't use it for work. They previously (by phone) promised to change the logic board as the evidence pointed to a faulty bluetooth module, but having taken the laptop for a week all they did was reinstall the OS (which I had told them I had done myself, properly by wiping the disk with the installer USB's Disk Utility with both Monterey and Ventura...)

I have several videos recorded showing this happen to avoid Apple denying there is a problem. See below one video.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Video sped up to fit in imgur 30sec limit.. !

Last edited:

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Presented with 5 videos taken in the last 5 days, and evidence that no 3rd party drivers were installed, Apple staff at the Store today took the device and promised to replace the logic board.

Fingers crossed....

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Finally Apple replaced the logic board. Issue persists so is a design fault or an OS issue.

Some have suggested interference from the wifi router - but this didn't effect my previous laptops the 2017 Air, the 2015 15" and the 2015 13" MBPs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.