Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
I was hoping someone could please guide me in the right direction. I was looking to install another internal hard drive in my 2.0 G5. I have an external lacie, but I feel more comfortable writing to an internal hard drive while working in pro tools. would appreciate any feedback. thanks in advance.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
DEXTERITY said:
I was hoping someone could please guide me in the right direction. I was looking to install another internal hard drive in my 2.0 G5. I have an external lacie, but I feel more comfortable writing to an internal hard drive while working in pro tools. would appreciate any feedback. thanks in advance.

Here's a good start. It's VERY easy. I'd recommend getting a drive from newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com, as they are cheaper. But click on one of the 'download pdf' links to get a step-by-step installation walkthrough.

http://www.apple.com/support/powermac/doityourself/storage.html

Good luck!

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
I wasn't clear, sorry. thanks for the reply. I meant what internal HD's does anyone suggest? deskstar, etc? thanks

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
DEXTERITY said:
I wasn't clear, sorry. thanks for the reply. I meant what internal HD's does anyone suggest? deskstar, etc? thanks

Oh.

Seagate Barracuda with NCQ and SATA II (big and fast) (200-300GB)

or

Western Digital Raptor (speed) (74GB)

:eek:

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
DEXTERITY said:
thank's for your time and help.

This week CompUSA has the 160GB, 7200rpm, 8mb cache Hitachi Deskstar for $60 after mail-in rebates... not a bad deal. :)

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
thank's for the heads up. I will look into it. does sound like a good deal. I was eyeballing a seagate, but damn $60 is a nice price.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Be careful when buying hard drives what warranty you get with it. The exact same drive can be offered at different price points with 1 year or three year warranty. A few drives have 5 year. It's worth the $10 - 20 extra for the 3 year warranty -- because every hard drive ever made is going to fail - guranateed. It's just a matter of when. Year 2 and 3 are starting on the upramp of the ol' bell curve.

My preferred brands:
1) Seagate
2) Maxtor

The WD Raptor is expensive, fast, small capacity, hot and noisy. Unless you are doing mission-critical digital video or audio, $ no object, I would avoid these. But if $ were really no object I would be setting up an external SATA or UltraSCSI 320 multi-drive RAID system.

Whatever drive you get, spend some time thinking about how you are going to back up your data consistently and reliably.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Agreed, the warranty is important. The 160GB Hitachi Deskstar mentioned above for $60 comes with a 3year warranty.

I bought one two days ago for a 64bit AMD I'm sticking together... :eek:

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
thanks for the info on the warranty and what to be careful about. I definitely prefer having a hard drive with a 3 or 5 yr warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.