Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soldier1968

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Hello everyone, new to the forum and my first post. I was recently gifted a MP5.1 mid 2010 and am a brand new MAC user. Running Mojave with a Radeon Sapphire RX50, 16 GB Ram. I have owned iPhones and iPads for years but never switched from PC to Mac, a slight learning curve to say the least. With that being said, the Mac does not recognize any of the 4 Sata backplane ports on the logic board. Mac OSX is running off an SSD which is connected to the spare optical drive Sata cable. There are two 500 GB HDDs internally in slots 1 and 2. I verified they were working by connecting them externally through a Sata - USB adapter, one showed up as a Time drive and the other as storage on the desktop and in Disk Utility. I installed the SSD on slot 1 internally and the Mac would not boot. I connected it back to the spare optical drive Sata connector and it booted. I replaced the CMOS battery and reset the NVRAM and upon boot up it recognized the Time drive in slot 1 but not the storage drive in slot 2. Troubleshooting further I decided to flip the Time and storage drive slots. Upon boot up, neither was recognized and I'm back to square one. So I know the drives are serviceable and one did show up on the desktop and within Disk Utility so I know Sata port 1 does work, the question is what is causing these issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DeepYogurt

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Here is a couple of things to try:

1. boot up in "diagnostic" mode by holding the "D" key down when starting up the computer (after the gong) -- any errors show up?

2. boot up in "recovery" mode by holding the Command+R keys down when starting up the computer (after the gong and continue holding till you see the Apple logo and the progress bar below it) -- it should show a Utilities menu with four options (Restore From Time Machine Backup, Reinstall macOS, Get Help Online and Disk Utility). There is also a Terminal mode that you can select from the Utilities menu at the top of the screen. Does this show up or ???

3. If you press the "Option/ALT" key during startup, does the system show the disks to choose from?

Good luck...and welcome to the wonder world of Macintosh!! Maybe look for a local Mac user group in your area and if so then see about attending and asking questions and learning more? If you have a local Apple store they should be able to help find the nearest one or provide more help. Getting them to support the old MP5,1 system will not be possible, but they might be able to steer you to someone who specializes in older Mac systems.

-bob

Soldier1968

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Here is a couple of things to try:

1. boot up in "diagnostic" mode by holding the "D" key down when starting up the computer (after the gong) -- any errors show up?

2. boot up in "recovery" mode by holding the Command+R keys down when starting up the computer (after the gong and continue holding till you see the Apple logo and the progress bar below it) -- it should show a Utilities menu with four options (Restore From Time Machine Backup, Reinstall macOS, Get Help Online and Disk Utility). There is also a Terminal mode that you can select from the Utilities menu at the top of the screen. Does this show up or ???

3. If you press the "Option/ALT" key during startup, does the system show the disks to choose from?

Good luck...and welcome to the wonder world of Macintosh!! Maybe look for a local Mac user group in your area and if so then see about attending and asking questions and learning more? If you have a local Apple store they should be able to help find the nearest one or provide more help. Getting them to support the old MP5,1 system will not be possible, but they might be able to steer you to someone who specializes in older Mac systems.

-bob
Hi Bob, thanks for all the tips to try. I will give them a go and hopefully resolve this problem.

Thanks again
Dion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.