Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DomDomHann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2022
I have a Macintosh performa 6360 with a Apple 28.8K internal modem inside of it and I cannot get it to work. I know that everything else in my modem connection lineup is working except the modem on the Mac. The modem is a 820-0809-a.
Any help would be great thank you! Also if the modem I have won’t do what I want it to do I’m open to suggestions for other alternative modems for the Mac.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I have a Macintosh performa 6360 with a Apple 28.8K internal modem inside of it and I cannot get it to work. I know that everything else in my modem connection lineup is working except the modem on the Mac. The modem is a 820-0809-a.
Any help would be great thank you! Also if the modem I have won’t do what I want it to do I’m open to suggestions for other alternative modems for the Mac.
You didn't tell us what you want to do?

I think the modem won't connect because your line is busy, it's 1995 calling and they want their modem back;-)

Make sure you have installed the proper software for the modem. Sometimes even the "Install everything" doesn't work quite right, but that is the first thing to try via the Mac OS installer.

It can be hard to pin down what drivers were used for hardware this old that pretty much hasn't been used for a generation or two. They said the internet would be permanent, but it's not, most of the websites that had info on this old hardware back in the day are long gone.

Once you are sure you have the proper drivers installed make sure the Mac can "see" the modem and you can select it in the control panel.

Then see if it is getting a dial tone and is able to dial out to the ISP.

If you get all that working ensure your TCPIP configuration is correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.