Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
I posed this on another forum and got nothing back...I'm hoping someone here knows how to remedy this problem. Thanks! :D

This is a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. My internal modem, when I first got my iBook, made the typical dial and handshake sounds when I would dial a connection. I can't remember when it stopped, but it no longer makes a sound when it is dialing.

I'm running an iBook G4 12" 1.2 GHz with 768 MB RAM.

Does this have anything to do with a modem script (I read something about this and it mentioned a modem script, but I don't think it solved the issue for the other user). I checked the settings for the modem in the Network preference pane. The radio button for Sound is set to On.

It might have happened to me after the Tiger upgrade as well. I'm not sure. Could it be a Tiger issue?

Any help anyone can provide is appreciated.

Thanks!

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Is your sound volume muted or low?
- or -
System Preferences -> Network -> Show: Internal Modem -> Modem tab -> Sound: On

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
you want it to make all those noises??
screwy.gif

in any case, read the above post, that should take care of it.

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
reh said:
Is your sound volume muted or low?
- or -
System Preferences -> Network -> Show: Internal Modem -> Modem tab -> Sound: On
Checked this setting. It's checked next to "On". I even unchecked it and then checked it again. Nothing.

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
plinkoman said:
you want it to make all those noises??
screwy.gif

in any case, read the above post, that should take care of it.
I don't really want the sounds, but they are helpful for troubleshooting. Also, if something is wrong with the modem, I just want to know about it. I could take the thing back to Apple if it's not working properly.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Celeron said:
What's a modem? :)
A device used to turn a digital signal into an analog signal for transmission over phone lines, and capable of reversing the process.

Sort of pointless step now that most phone lines are now digital between cities, and only analog between the phone and the nearest phone packet transmission device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.