Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
So my M1 Mac Mini on Monterey has developed a weird issue over the last week. I get to it in the morning and I can't access anything on the internet. I believe that the machine is still on the network because my Apple Watch still unlocks it, and if I'm remembering right, that requires wifi to be working.

I've actually got my Mac plugged in to ethernet for primary internet access, and I just keep wifi on for the features. However, when this problem happens, I can't reach any website or do anything that requires internet access either by wifi or ethernet (I'm just toggling them on and off in the settings to test this). In retrospect I should've tried a traceroute to see how far I'm getting, but my intuition is that I'm not making it off the local network.

I've tried quitting everything that needs internet access and then starting them back up, no dice. I have Little Snitch running, but it's never given me trouble before. I tried turning it off to see if that had any effect anyway, but it didn't.

I have, on at least one occasion, had networking stop working while I was at my computer, but it's only been in the morning after a long time where the machine was asleep.

Rebooting fixes the issue, so it's not a problem with my actual internet service or network. I've double checked, and under normal circumstances, both wifi and ethernet work independently.

Is there a way to do a full network services restart without rebooting? I looked in the process list but didn't see any daemons that looked like what I was looking for.

Reactions: matthewnp

Artiste212

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Do you use Cloudflare Warp or use a VPN? I found Cloudflare often won't connect to the internet unless it's turned off an on afer restarting my M1 mini.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Do you use Cloudflare Warp or use a VPN? I found Cloudflare often won't connect to the internet unless it's turned off an on afer restarting my M1 mini.
I have a VPN for work, but it isn't active. In fact, this is all happening during the holidays when I haven't had the VPN running at all.

Artiste212

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
If you're able to reinstall the VPN, then try removing the profile, or better yet, removing the VPN, then restarting. See if that helps. If it's required for work and you can't reinstall, then that won't be an option. There may be some minor incompatibility between the VPN and your connection in the lastest OS version, and they may not have a full fix yet if that's the case.

matthewnp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
So my M1 Mac Mini on Monterey has developed a weird issue over the last week. I get to it in the morning and I can't access anything on the internet. I believe that the machine is still on the network because my Apple Watch still unlocks it, and if I'm remembering right, that requires wifi to be working.

I've actually got my Mac plugged in to ethernet for primary internet access, and I just keep wifi on for the features. However, when this problem happens, I can't reach any website or do anything that requires internet access either by wifi or ethernet (I'm just toggling them on and off in the settings to test this). In retrospect I should've tried a traceroute to see how far I'm getting, but my intuition is that I'm not making it off the local network.

I've tried quitting everything that needs internet access and then starting them back up, no dice. I have Little Snitch running, but it's never given me trouble before. I tried turning it off to see if that had any effect anyway, but it didn't.

I have, on at least one occasion, had networking stop working while I was at my computer, but it's only been in the morning after a long time where the machine was asleep.

Rebooting fixes the issue, so it's not a problem with my actual internet service or network. I've double checked, and under normal circumstances, both wifi and ethernet work independently.

Is there a way to do a full network services restart without rebooting? I looked in the process list but didn't see any daemons that looked like what I was looking for.
I've been encountering what sounds like exactly the same issue for some weeks now. I've been busy so I've just been living with having to restart my M1 MacBook Pro (Monterey) periodically when the network stops.

Similar set up, connected via Ethernet and Wifi, other devices on the network continue working (restarting the router does not resolve the problem), occurs after the Mac has been up for some time and has been asleep. I use the Mac in clamshell mode most of the time, though I'm fairly certain this has occurred while the laptop has been disconnected (or it happened before I disconnected it and didn't notice until I woke it up later elsewhere to use it).

Network access seems to stop while I'm using the machine (rather then at the moment of waking it up, though sometimes when waking it up, or that is when I notice its offline again), once in the middle of a Zoom session I was hosting. Usually less dramatic: a couple of tabs open in Safari, I'm working away, and at some point all network access is just gone. Occurs about once every 8 hours to 16 hours on a machine I use almost continuously (except while I'm asleep).

Clean install of Monterey 3 weeks ago didn't resolve the issue.

Turning off WiFi and disconnecting Ethernet cable then reconnecting does not fix it. Logging out of my user account and back in does not fix it (didn't think it would). Restarting the Mac always fixes it.

As with RealMonster, when this occurs my Mac appears to still have local network access. For example, access to streamed video from the Wifi camera on my 3D printer, Apple Watch unlocking, Home kit access, etc.

I've wondered if it could be a DNS issue? Outside of what I know much about, so just guessing.

Similar to RealMonster I've wanted to find some way of fully restarting network services without rebooting the computer. Don't know how, if there is a way.

After one quick search in these forums I've also noted this recent post that seems to describe a similar problem: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/internet-stops-working-on-m1-max-macos-monterey.2330475/

I wonder if these are three examples of the same issue, and if more people may be seeing it.

varijkapil13

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2018
I am coming from the thread mentioned by @matthewnp .

I have posted a solution that worked for me.

Hope this will help someone

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Does unplugging modem help? Router has/needs firmware update? Have your ISP ping your modem. I run modem through UPS (not all UPS work well with this) but insures my equipment is protected and always always have power. Rebooting the router should be done when restarting the modem but by itself usually won't resolve problems by itself.

ca$hman

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2021
I had the same problem happening. Seemed all-tough my VPN was off still the IKEv2 driver was started. After turning that off from auto starting my problems were gone.

1643296144675.png

matthewnp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
ca$hman, Can you say more about how you turned off IKEv2 from auto starting? I also have Surfshark installed (though generally not used from my home network), and also see the following in my Network settings:

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 10.36.25.png

In your reply are you showing how this driver appeared after you kept it from auto starting, or is this display, with it visible in the Network entries but "Not Connected" how it appears when it has auto started?

I don't see anything in the Surfshark app settings, or in my user account Login Items that I can turn off. Any more help you could offer would be great.

ca$hman

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2021
ca$hman, Can you say more about how you turned off IKEv2 from auto starting? I also have Surfshark installed (though generally not used from my home network), and also see the following in my Network settings:

View attachment 1950112

In your reply are you showing how this driver appeared after you kept it from auto starting, or is this display, with it visible in the Network entries but "Not Connected" how it appears when it has auto started?

I don't see anything in the Surfshark app settings, or in my user account Login Items that I can turn off. Any more help you could offer would be great.
Trying really hard to recall my exact actions... I believe it was in this settings. But Honestly cannot recall exactly.

1643309534688.png

matthewnp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
Thanks for trying to remember. I'm afraid that already matches the settings I have on the same screen, and as far as I know the problem persists, or has recently. I'll check in to this particular network settings screen if/when the next network freeze occurs. Thanks.

chornota

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2022
What worked for me was:
Going Network -> VPN and filters -> and stop ESET Firewall. You can try to stop any firewall you have and see what you got.
Снимок экрана 2022-12-07 в 17.33.04.png

Last edited:
Reactions: subsea

bbfans

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
I have the same problem, for me the culprit was Safari, I'm now using Chrome instead.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I had this problem just after the June update. It caused so many problems that I went back to Big Sur for a while. I'm on the latest update of Monterey right now and I haven't seen the problem. If it turns up again, then I will go back to Big Sur.

russoue

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2023
Sammamish, WA, U.S.A.
I had the same problem, and this discussion led me to the solution. In my case it was not the Cisco VPN software but Microsoft Defender. Both install network filters and uninstalling MDE restored my Internet. Thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.