Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Every now and then, some domains are unreachable on our internet connection.

Like today, it's Amazon.com, and dailymail.co.uk. They just report back as 'Server not found'.

Sometimes it's popular sites like Amazon today. And apparently it's only on this computer! WTF!!!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
That is the weird assed part of this: both systems use the SAME DNS SERVER!

I'm beginning to doubt my sanity (more than I usually do) and think something strange is afoot. Hackers? Ah, stopping me from spending my money on Amazon! HAH!!!

But seriously, I can try a blocked IP, and then all of a sudden it starts working again. Like Amazon.com is working perfectly fine now. Damned odd...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Sounds like a duplicate IP address.

Everything is DHCP, and, as far as I know, there is only one DHCP server. Making this stranger still... SO far, nothing today, but it could happen at any point.

Plus, and DHCP server is supposed to check and make sure that the address isn't currently being used before issuing it. But I remember a flaw in Novell's DHCP implementation that would reissue addresses that itself had issued. It was fixed on an update.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
That is the weird assed part of this: both systems use the SAME DNS SERVER!

I'm beginning to doubt my sanity (more than I usually do) and think something strange is afoot. Hackers? Ah, stopping me from spending my money on Amazon! HAH!!!

But seriously, I can try a blocked IP, and then all of a sudden it starts working again. Like Amazon.com is working perfectly fine now. Damned odd...

If you are running a webserver with a domain name, you may have a dns server on your mac os server.
All you need do is change the dns server preferences to only look up for inside the network, so that the incoming domain name requests contact your webserver.

Try that, and see if it works better.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
If you are running a webserver with a domain name, you may have a dns server on your mac os server.
All you need do is change the dns server preferences to only look up for inside the network, so that the incoming domain name requests contact your webserver.

Try that, and see if it works better.

That's the way it's setup. Hmm...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I used to have similar problems, but am unsure if this is due to the ISP DNS.
I would suggest that you use the google DNS on your router to fix it.

And I tried that too, and was still getting the same issue. I thought it was being caused because I was using the Google DNS. It's not constant, but it's a pain when it does happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.