Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JLS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
I've just installed panther on a G4, and I am connecting to my 3com router/modem. I configured the mac to the best of my ability network wise, and when I go into the network properties, there is a green circle next to 'Built in Ethernet'.

It says "..currently active.. you are connected to the internet via the .. ethernet"

However, when I go into safari or try to run system update, nothing happens - its not on the internet.

Any suggestions to get it working would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Just to confirm a couple of things:

1) When you look at your router settings, you have a good connection to the internet, right? That is, your router has been assigned an IP address from your ISP? Also, make sure that the IP address for your Mac is 169.x.x.x, which would indicate it's not actually getting an IP from your router.

2) If #1 is correct, can you connect your Mac directly to your ISP connection (DSL/Cable modem) and see if you can connect that way? It may tell you if there is an issue with the Mac.

3) Can you access website via IP rather than via name (that is, type http://216.218.211.127 to get to macrumors instead of the URL)?

If we know these things, perhaps we can be of more help.

JLS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
emw said:
Just to confirm a couple of things:

1) When you look at your router settings, you have a good connection to the internet, right? That is, your router has been assigned an IP address from your ISP? Also, make sure that the IP address for your Mac is 169.x.x.x, which would indicate it's not actually getting an IP from your router.

2) If #1 is correct, can you connect your Mac directly to your ISP connection (DSL/Cable modem) and see if you can connect that way? It may tell you if there is an issue with the Mac.

3) Can you access website via IP rather than via name (that is, type http://216.218.211.127 to get to macrumors instead of the URL)?

If we know these things, perhaps we can be of more help.

My router has a static (web) ip address, and I know its working fine because im connecting through it on my pc right now. I specified an ip address for the mac from within my range (192.168.3.25 is the macs ip address) my router has a DHCP server as well, but the mac won't connect on auto either. if I go into the 'Network utility' on the mac and select 'Ethernet interface (en0)' it says:

Link: active
Link speed: 100Mb
Sent packets: 122
Send errors: 0
Recv packets: 2
Recv Errors: 172 (and just keeps going up by itself)
collisions: 0

I can't connect using any other method as my adsl router is the only think I have connected to broadband, and that is going straight to the mac on one cable (and my pc on another port).

If I go to http://216.218.211.127 I get the 'could not open this page'. Then its just a white page.

I know their is not a fault with the mac hardware, as I connected it to the internet (via ethernet) when I took the powermac to work when it was running 9.2 last week.

Thanks

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
JLS said:
My router has a static (web) ip address, and I know its working fine because im connecting through it on my pc right now. I specified an ip address for the mac from within my range (192.168.3.25 is the macs ip address) my router has a DHCP server as well, but the mac won't connect on auto either. if I go into the 'Network utility' on the mac and select 'Ethernet interface (en0)' it says:

Link: active
Link speed: 100Mb
Sent packets: 122
Send errors: 0
collisions: 0

I can't connect using any other method as my adsl router is the only think I have connected to broadband, and that is going straight to the mac on one cable (and my pc on another port).

If I go to http://216.218.211.127 I get the 'could not open this page'. Then its just a white page.

I know their is not a fault with the mac hardware, as I connected it to the internet (via ethernet) when I took the powermac to work when it was running 9.2 last week.

Thanks

if you supply a static IP from the router, I think you have to supply the rest of the information as well (subnet mask, etc.).

DHCP should be working. Configure the router properly and then choose DHCP and try to get it working that way--usualy the easiest. Go into system preferences, network to change settings.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Le Big Mac said:
if you supply a static IP from the router, I think you have to supply the rest of the information as well (subnet mask, etc.).

DHCP should be working. Configure the router properly and then choose DHCP and try to get it working that way--usualy the easiest. Go into system preferences, network to change settings.
Good point - make sure that the router IP address and subnet mask are entered properly on the Mac.

Although I'm not sure why DHCP would not be working on the Mac - it's what I use all the time. When you try to use DHCP, what does it tell you?

JLS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
emw said:
Good point - make sure that the router IP address and subnet mask are entered properly on the Mac.

Although I'm not sure why DHCP would not be working on the Mac - it's what I use all the time. When you try to use DHCP, what does it tell you?

When I tell it to auto dchp, it gives itself some mad ip address, that is not permitted within the ip range in my router. I have entered the subnet correctly (255.255.255.0) which was also listed in my router config; and an ip address that is permitted by my router..

lbodnar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
UK
Go to your PC, open command line (Start->Run->cmd), type ipconfig/all, copy all the details including DNS server address and set your Mac manually with same details but use different IP address for the Mac, e.g. next after PC's.

If you set it all up manually, make sure you specify your router address correctly.

Stupid question last: can you ping your PC from Mac?

JLS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
lbodnar said:
Go to your PC, open command line (Start->Run->cmd), type ipconfig/all, copy all the details including DNS server address and set your Mac manually with same details but use different IP address for the Mac, e.g. next after PC's.

If you set it all up manually, make sure you specify your router address correctly.

Stupid question last: can you ping your PC from Mac?

Specifying the routers address as the DCHP server did the trick. Thanks!

Super kudos to all of the people that helped me today.

Thanks alot guys! You made my day!

:)

lbodnar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
UK
JLS said:
...I know their is not a fault with the mac hardware, as I connected it to the internet (via ethernet) when I took the powermac to work when it was running 9.2 last week

Make sure your cables are OK and fully plugged in and power the whole thing down, then bring up router first, then the Mac. Could be bad network cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.