Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatandlazy11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Depends on my mood
Hi all, I've owned an iMac G3 (233 MHz or 266 MHz, im not sure) about a year ago, and i purchased it to replace my Windows Machine as my main computer. I rarely play high-tech games ( I love to play games created before my birth.) and all i really want to do is surf the web, do email, and maybe download a thing or two. But the iMac has OS 8.5, joust 0.1 systems away from the minimum specifications for my web service. I tried hooking it up to the net, and just trying and hopeing for it to work. it didn't, and i dont know how i can get it to work, any answers?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
8.6 is a free upgrade...you can download it here.

You can also upgrade to a newer operating system by purchasing one from Apple or another source.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
fatandlazy11 said:
hmm... will the G3 read a disc written by a windoze computer? It cant play the Music CD's I burn.... But other then that thanx
Can it read other discs? Some older CD-ROM's don't like to read burned media. I haven't had any problems with Windows compatibility running 8.6.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
fatandlazy11 said:
Hi all, I've owned an iMac G3 (233 MHz or 266 MHz, im not sure) about a year ago, and i purchased it to replace my Windows Machine as my main computer. I rarely play high-tech games ( I love to play games created before my birth.) and all i really want to do is surf the web, do email, and maybe download a thing or two. But the iMac has OS 8.5, joust 0.1 systems away from the minimum specifications for my web service. I tried hooking it up to the net, and just trying and hopeing for it to work. it didn't, and i dont know how i can get it to work, any answers?

While 8.6 may be required by the ISP, I can pretty much guarantee it would work under 8.5 as well. they are basically the exact same system. but as already pointed out 8.6 is a free update, and a good one at that. Well worth doing. The procedures for getting it to work wiht 8.5 or 8.6 will be exactly the same.

I use a 233 mhz iMac myself. Its getting long in the tooth now, but still does a decent job for basic stuff.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
yeah, if you upgrade the RAM to about 256-384MB then you should be able to run Jaguar/Panther for basic stuff just fine.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
As others have already said upgrade to OS 8.6, it should run fine on the iMac even with stock ram. If your not sure what settings you need to use, I'm sure there used to be an internet connection utility in OS 8 which guides you through the steps. Are you using dial up or Broadband? If your imac has 128mb+ of RAM, it would be well worth your while upgrading to OS X 10.2 or 10.3.

fatandlazy11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Depends on my mood
Well, I tried downloading 8.6 (On a windows machine.. What was I thinking?) it didn't work. Late yesterday, I tried hooking it up to the internet again, went through the entire process, and it couldn't find the connection. By the way, I have broadband. I use this service: http://www.beecreek.net I dont know if they support macs, but i sent them an email asking.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If you've activated the broadband and you're not locked in via MAC Address or software dialer then the iMac should just pick up an IP address when you plug in the ethernet.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
how are you connecting?
If you have a usb modem you may have problems getting drivers for it under 8.5, but if it's an ethernet router/modem you shouldn't need to do anything other than plug it in and set TCP/IP to DCHP to get underway.

Like the others, I'd recommend picking up a copy of Panther and a RAM upgrade (both reasonably cheap second-hand), which will make the process even more straightforward.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
if you have a usb modem run an ethernet cable between the pc and imac and share the connection.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
fatandlazy11 said:
Well, I tried downloading 8.6 (On a windows machine.. What was I thinking?) it didn't work.

You should be able to download the update on a PC, just leave it compressed & decompress it on your Mac.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Maxwell Smart said:
Honestly, I'd just go with Jaguar/Panther, you'll LOVE the OS X experience ;)
Yeah, that works too. It requires a RAM upgrade, firmware, and OS discs. 9.2.1 should run just fine with no other upgrades.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Go Panther. Just got off the phone with a friend who has a bondi 233mhz G3 and I put in an 80 gig 7200rpm deskstar hard drive and 384mbs of ram and she runs Panther like a champ on dsl.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
well you can alway's go into the system/prefrence folder and deleat the tcp/ip file and the internet file. i cant remember if it was called tcp/ip in OS 8.5 but its the same thing . it has a built in ethernet open the prefrence paine to tcp/ip and select use ethernet and select use dhcp server and it should work. i use sbc global dsl and they say they dont support my Mac either but it works fine and get great speed. i do how ever own a router spliting the connection with my cousins windows pc and my Mac and 2 xbox's. i have to use the windows pc to setup the inital install and activation of the dsl modem than it all was good from there.

yea 8.5 should work on the net just fine somthing is not set right

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.