Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max jones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
We have had both our MAC and PC conected to an ADSL modem for several months and everything has been running great untill about 3 days ago when the PC wouldnt conect to the internet. (ive resolved this bit i think)
We have the MAC running of the ethernet on the modem and the PC off the USB on the modem (its a modem router)
But now when the PC is conected to the internet the MAC wont conect and vise a versa

The MAC doesnt have any firewalls that i am aware of and i know the PC doesnt have any at all.

Please help me out.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I'm not sure how to fix it because I'm no expert, but the reason you can't connect them both at the same time is because the modem/router is only providing one IP address, and you have two computers. When one computer is connected, it uses the IP address and the second computer then can't get one. There's a setting somewhere on the router that allows you to 'distribute IP addresses'. Someone else on here will likely be able to help a little more ;-)

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Somebody hasn't read the noob thread. Those who use MAC earn a newb plaque. Terrible, just terrible.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
max jones said:
We have the MAC running of the ethernet on the modem and the PC off the USB on the modem (its a modem router)
But now when the PC is conected to the internet the MAC wont conect and vise a versa

I have to agree with ChrisBrightwell. I'm not sure why your setup worked for so long before, but my cable modem has both connections like yours - and it seems to me like the documentation implies you can only use one or the other; not both.

Since you're not using wireless, you can just buy a cheap D-Link or Linksys 4-port router. This also has the advantage of providing some firewalling between your computers and the internet at large, since the router will use NAT (Network Address Translation) to connect your computers. This means your computers can see the internet, but the internet can't see your computers since they'll be on what's known as a private non-routable subnet.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Xtremehkr said:
Somebody hasn't read the noob thread. Those who use MAC earn a newb plaque. Terrible, just terrible.

He is talking about this... Linkety!

Read it, live it, worship it... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.