Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hopegrad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
I may admittedly be one of the few who used the Internet Radio app on the previous AppleTV models. Anyone know where or if a similar app exists for the latest AppleTV? I've looked all over the app store and can't find it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

hopegrad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. I have and have already spent a few bucks on nothing up to par. So far nothing matches the old app that came standard with prior generations of AppleTV. I could at least save favorites there and not have to sort through hundreds of stations each time I wanted to listen to one of the BBC stations or KLOS. Greatly appreciate the tip though.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I use "Receiver" app (not free, but very cheap) and that works fine for me.
It works in the background too.

Had to restart the Apple TV after installing because the app thought it had no internet connection.
After reboot, all is fine.

Reactions: Weaselboy

lmitch6

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
WA
This is the one thing holding me back from the new Apple TV. I like the new UI a lot, but the Radio app is one of my most used apps. Hopefully Apple ports it to the new model.

Reactions: hopegrad

hopegrad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011

Had to restart the Apple TV after installing because the app thought it had no internet connection.

Hey MacsRgr8:

Does Receiver have the BBC and Absolute Radio stations available? Granted it's only 99 cents but I'd like to know before purchase if possible.

Thanks for the help and guidance,

Tom

lmitch6

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
WA
Hey MacsRgr8:

Does Receiver have the BBC and Absolute Radio stations available? Granted it's only 99 cents but I'd like to know before purchase if possible.

Thanks for the help and guidance,

Tom

It looks like it has all the BBC stations...the list is pages long. I'm also seeing an "Absolut Radio" and and "Absolute Radio", so I think you'd be set.

Reactions: hopegrad

lmitch6

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
WA
This is the one thing holding me back from the new Apple TV. I like the new UI a lot, but the Radio app is one of my most used apps. Hopefully Apple ports it to the new model.

Well, I ended up getting a 64gb after playing with one in the store for a while. The new UI, remote, and feature set are well done in my opinion compared to the last generation. I'm trying out the Receiver app and it's serviceable. I'm not a fan of the UI, but it may grow on me. I've also tried My Tuner, a free app. the UI is excellent, but I don't think there's a way to favorite stations.

So, there are options, not quite what we've been used to, but it's a good start. I think there will be more apps out there soon as well.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Thanks for this tip. Just installed the app and it works quite well. :)

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yeah I mean WHere the Hell is Tune In, the app is on everything. Where's Pandora, SPotify, Groove, it makes no sense they were not on there from the beginning.

Jahnsrud

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Norway
I recently launched my first tvOS app – Soriko Radio. It's a radio player with a nice interface and smart features. For example, the app supports background playback (of course), displays album art and keeps track of recently played songs. Soriko Radio is great for discovering radio stations and especially music.

Radio stations in Europe are covered pretty good. I'm working on improving content for users in the United States. Here are 4 promo codes to check it out.
  1. RJF97NAAWWHJ
  2. ATE39PAYNWFM
  3. E39FFRLTAYAW
  4. NAX7YKN9YK6P
^Redeemable in the iOS App Store. There is an update coming next week that will fix most of the initial bugs.

Mormith

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
I took RJF97NAAWWHJ thank you. In using it I can already see that the USA content is a little slim, but at least you have NRK Klassisk. Could you work on adding some more ambient stations and possibly some of the SOMA ones.

Jahnsrud

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Norway
Yup, still work to do. I just released a preview of the "Focus" playlist. It contains stations from SomaFM. You can try it now by changing playlist in Settings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.