Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueCreeper512

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2021
Somewhere in the world
I keep getting -1008F errors when trying to boot into Internet Recovery on my 2018 15" MacBook Pro, I've verified multiple times that I removed the device on https://icloud.com/find as well as trying it on both WiFi and mobile data with the same errors, I'm currently unable to boot into regular recovery as I was going to do a fresh install of macOS so I erased the drive and trying to boot with a USB installer just leads me to Internet Recovery.

The OS I had installed before erasing the drive was Catalina and I was going to clean install Monterey.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Often that message is because you are trying to use a wifi security protocol that is not compatible with Internet recovery. Can you try just removing the password security from your router wifi altogether just temporarily to sort this out.

BlueCreeper512

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2021
Somewhere in the world
Often that message is because you are trying to use a wifi security protocol that is not compatible with Internet recovery. Can you try just removing the password security from your router wifi altogether just temporarily to sort this out.
Disabling the password doesn't seem to have fix it, and even if the password was the issue, I don't see why it would fail even on mobile data with the same error.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
1008 is often due to Activation Lock on a newer Mac. Go into Find My on a different device using the same Apple ID (or on www.iCloud.com/find) and remove the Mac from there. I know you said you confirmed it - but be sure it’s remove from FIND MY (removing from Settings does nothing).

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I am struggling with this same issue. I have remove my 2018 macbook from the settings menu on my iPhone, and checked it’s gone from my iPad settings menu. I have removed it from the find my app on my iPad and checked it’s gone on my iPhone and iCloud.com. So that shouldn’t be an issue. That was done 18 hours ago so any lag should have gone now. I have tried using a guest wifi network that I created that he no password, which didn’t make a difference.

Before I make an appointment at the Apple Store with a bit of a pain to get to is there anything else I can try?

EDIT resolved. I had to DFU mode my macbook and use apple configurator on my wife's Air to DFU restore it. I am typing this message on it now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.