Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Attempting to reinstall a fresh copy of Monterey on my wife's Macbook Air (2019, Intel i5) from internet recovery, and it's telling me 51 hours and 44 minutes? Reason for the fresh install is that she recently upgraded to an M1 MBA and we are selling this one.

I have gigabit fiber and the laptop is in the same room as the router, so internet speed is not a problem.

Installing from flash drive is also not an option because her MBA has the T2, and I've already erased the SSD so there's no way to adjust boot security features.

How long should this actually take? We already have a buyer lined up who wants to pick it up tonight but it looks like that's not going to happen.

Last edited:

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
If you're recovering from Cloud+, the server is slow as hell. It does not transfer from Mac to Mac directly, it appears it pass over iCloud+. If everything is on iCloud+ already, you don't need to wait. Just go ahead and clean the old mac for sales.

I gave up Cloud storage and gone purchased a Sandisk Extreme 1TB SSD 1/1Gbps. Backup using ChronoSync daily.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Attempting to reinstall a fresh copy of Monterey on my wife's Macbook Air (2019, Intel i5) from internet recovery, and it's telling me 51 hours and 44 minutes? Reason for the fresh install is that she recently upgraded to an M1 MBA and we are selling this one.

I have gigabit fiber and the laptop is in the same room as the router, so internet speed is not a problem.

Installing from flash drive is also not an option because her MBA has the T2, and I've already erased the SSD so there's no way to adjust boot security features.

How long should this actually take? We already have a buyer lined up who wants to pick it up tonight but it looks like that's not going to happen.
The initial time estimate is very inaccurate. Let it sit...give it around 2-3 hours. If it still stuck at 1-2% after 2-3 hours, I would retry the internet recovery process again, but this time, have it connected it to ethernet before initiating the internet recovery process.

Good luck!

Reactions: dizmonk and sdwaltz

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
If you're recovering from Cloud+, the server is slow as hell. It does not transfer from Mac to Mac directly, it appears it pass over iCloud+. If everything is on iCloud+ already, you don't need to wait. Just go ahead and clean the old mac for sales.

I gave up Cloud storage and gone purchased a Sandisk Extreme 1TB SSD 1/1Gbps. Backup using ChronoSync daily.
Thanks for the tip, although that's not what I'm trying to achieve. The new computer is already up and running, what I'm trying to do is completely reset/erase the old one to sell.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
The initial time estimate is very inaccurate. Let it sit...give it around 2-3 hours. If it still stuck at 1-2% after 2-3 hours, I would retry the internet recovery process again, but this time, have it connected it to ethernet before initiating the internet recovery process.

Good luck!
Thank you.

It's finally moving a bit - down to 35 hours and 32 minutes now and the bar has moved a smidge. I'll never use this method again! Haha.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Update/Bump:

This has been going for about 18 hours now. It's been stuck on "14 minutes remaining" with a full progress bar since I woke up about 6 hours ago.

Install log looks like it just isn't doing anything at all. I'm kind of at a loss at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.