Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varijkapil13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
Hi guys,
I am facing a weird problem with my Mac.
I recently upgraded from my 13 Inch Macbook Pro 2017 to a 14 inch M1 Max 24 GPU Cores. And just after the upgrade I am experiencing some problems with internet connection.

I keep my mac turned on during the week, as I used to do with old one too. But with the new one, it happens so that after some time the internet stops working automatically and will not work until I restart it again.

I have tried looking at various solutions but nothing seems to work.
I thought that the problem could be due to company VPN (CISCO AnyConnect) but the problem appears even if I do not start the VPN for days.

I have tried resetting the network settings a multiple times now, but to no avail.

Does anyone have similar problems/ or may have a potential solution for this?

Thanks!

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
check the software update status on the router and reboot it.
also, make sure you're using a wifi channel on the router that's not got a lot of
interference from your neighbors.

matthewnp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
I'm encountering what seems to be a very similar (or the same) issue. 13" MacBook Pro M1 running up-to-date Monterey. Network stops working periodically, only resolution is a restart, which always fixes it, until it happens again in another 8 to 16 hours or so.

I've just written a full reply on another thread that seems to be the same as well (turned up with one quick search of these forums, there could be more): https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/internet-access-broken-requires-reboot-to-fix.2329302/

varijkapil13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
I think I have solved the problem.
It was in fact related to Cisco AnyConnect.
The VPN per se is not the problem, but it install another program for Socket filtering that was blocking all communication for some reason.

I used the steps described in the following Ask Different Answer

Anyways, I did this around 2 weeks ago now and haven't had this problem again.

Hope this helps you guys!

drklrdbill

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2022
I think I have solved the problem.
It was in fact related to Cisco AnyConnect.
The VPN per se is not the problem, but it install another program for Socket filtering that was blocking all communication for some reason.

I used the steps described in the following Ask Different Answer

Anyways, I did this around 2 weeks ago now and haven't had this problem again.

Hope this helps you guys!
OMG thank you so much. I felt like a crazy person as this has been happening to me for awhile now and I could never figure it out. And any time you try to google this situation, the answer is always to restart your router or whatever. I knew there was no problem with the internet access and that it had to be a settings problem on my computer.

My guess was that it was a VPN issue. I even tried stopping the services, but am glad to see that I was close to the answer. Now that I know the socket filtering is definitely the problem, I can relax. I even started a log today to try to figure out how often it was happening and what behavior I was doing differently. Funny enough, I realized I was on my VPN over lunch doing some work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 6.52.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 6.52.36 PM.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 140

Corncab44

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
I'm having this issue myself on a 16 Inch Macbook Pro running Monterey 12.6. M1 Max. The internet will die once a day or so. No fix except restarting. Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? What happens is pretty weird — my home WiFi and hotspot will disappear but other networks will stay in the drop down menu. I know this isn't a network thing since I can connect fine with my other laptop, phone etc. It's a huge headache since I have a lot of things running, or worse, I'm on a Zoom call.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm having this issue myself on a 16 Inch Macbook Pro running Monterey 12.6. M1 Max. The internet will die once a day or so. No fix except restarting. Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? What happens is pretty weird — my home WiFi and hotspot will disappear but other networks will stay in the drop down menu. I know this isn't a network thing since I can connect fine with my other laptop, phone etc. It's a huge headache since I have a lot of things running, or worse, I'm on a Zoom call.

I haven't seen this problem for several weeks so it might be resolved for us. I did change my DNS settings but I don't know if that was the fix. It was happening on my M1 mini daily and my MacBook Pro about once every 10 days.

Corncab44

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
I haven't seen this problem for several weeks so it might be resolved for us. I did change my DNS settings but I don't know if that was the fix. It was happening on my M1 mini daily and my MacBook Pro about once every 10 days.
I did try switching my DNS but it still seemed to be happening. Totally anecdotal, but I got the feeling Apple Music or Premiere was always running when it happened. Not a real data point but, you know... in lieu of nothing else!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have no other capable Mac to compare to my new Mac Studio M1 Max…but just trying to use the UTM app on it kills the MSMM's connection to the internet. A restart is required.

When it happens I can ping local network devices just fine.

I suppose if just running that application on my Mac (and possibly in combination with something else I'm doing) can cause the disconnection then there could be other actions that could do it.

I posted about UTM doing this a couple of weeks ago but no one responded.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I did try switching my DNS but it still seemed to be happening. Totally anecdotal, but I got the feeling Apple Music or Premiere was always running when it happened. Not a real data point but, you know... in lieu of nothing else!

I have the feeling that it is or was a program that I was using as I haven't seen the problem in a while. It's possible that the offending program fixed something. The programs that I use on both systems are Downie, Firefox, Mail, Notes, Reminders, Calendars, Think or Swim, Active Trader Pro. I will continue to monitor for it.

Ventura ships today but I would like to try it out on an external SSD for a while before upgrading my production systems.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have no other capable Mac to compare to my new Mac Studio M1 Max…but just trying to use the UTM app on it kills the MSMM's connection to the internet. A restart is required.

When it happens I can ping local network devices just fine.

I suppose if just running that application on my Mac (and possibly in combination with something else I'm doing) can cause the disconnection then there could be other actions that could do it.

I posted about UTM doing this a couple of weeks ago but no one responded.

I have not used UTM nor was I using VMs at all when I had the problem. It's possible that more than one program causes the problem. One thing of note is that I saw the problem a lot more on my M1 mini than my M1 Pro MacBook Pro with 32 GB of RAM so I'm wondering if there was a memory resource issue.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I just ran in to this on my 2015 MacBook Pro 15. I had run into it on my 2014 iMac running Big Sur so it's not limited to Apple Silicon. A reboot took care of the issue. It's only a minor nuisance as this is my backup laptop and I don't use it that much. I was using it this morning while my 2021 MacBook Pro was upgrading to Ventura.

Stellarspace

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm having the same problem on a Mac mini (2020, M1) with macOS Ventura 13.1. I uninstalled Lulu, and Private Internet Access, and I continue to get time out responses using ping in Terminal. The Internet sporadically comes on, then off again. Firewall is disabled. Restarting the computer doesn't help.

russoue

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2023
Sammamish, WA, U.S.A.
I had the same problem, and this discussion led me to the solution. In my case it was not the Cisco VPN software but Microsoft Defender. Both install network filters and uninstalling MDE restored my Internet. Thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.